Can't Get Dallas to Settle

Ivy

I'm finding it hard to get Dallas to settle down during feeding time. As soon as I take out their meals and start to prepare them he's whining, barking, grunting and pacing. I get him to lay down, give treat but as soon as I turn my back he's up and about again making a spectacle.
I'm also finding it difficult to direct or correct him because as soon as I go outside to feed Tynan he's barking like crazy again. There's no way I can be in 2 places at one time.
I've tried to teach Dallas the "settle down" command and that's not really working too well. I've tried the ignore route, not working either.
Because Dallas is getting so worked up about eating, it's setting Timber off so he needs to be crated up until it's his turn to eat.

Any suggestions?

milos_mommy

Can you put the other dogs somewhere (outside, crated, another room) and practice with Dallas when it's not actually feeding time?

Ivy

The only time he gets too excited is feeding time. Other than that he's pretty chill in the house.
I think he likes his new diet a bit too much lol :p He didn't react this way when he was on kibble.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Its clearly your fault feeding PMR... J/K of course lol.

Well I dont know if it will help any with Dallas, but it sure helps alot with Teagan when she gets worked all up and wont settle down when she wants outside because there is a scary ghost that she has to kill outside.

Not the same situation as you, but still a not settleing down issue.

I taught Teagan the backing up command. When she is by the door freaking out to go outside I get in front of her and tell her to back up until she is about three feet from the door. I make her lie down, and she does not get to even go an inch closer to the door until she settles down.

Somtimes if I touch the door after she settles she will be charging the door again and we do that all over again until she relaxes and there is no going out until she is settled down and relaxed. She will not be going outside at all unless she is 100% percent relaxed. I dont give her treats during the process as I see her being able to go outside after she is calm a treat.

We also start the process all over again if she runs outside screaming bloody murder after she gets out the door.

Its kinnda a waiting game with her as she is a drama queen and likes to make a big deal outta things, but it is helping and she is starting to not scream bloody murder as much when she wants outside. I blame the slow progress on my parents as they just let her outside without getting her to calm down first.

Its a long process at first, but after doing it lots the calming down comes alot faster as she is realising that there is no going outside unless she stops freaking out.

katielou

Slave to the Aussie
Is it bad that i read this title as "can't get Dallas to Seattle" and though hmm sounds like an Alan Jackson song.

To much country music me thinks!

milos_mommy

The only time he gets too excited is feeding time. Other than that he's pretty chill in the house.
I think he likes his new diet a bit too much lol :p He didn't react this way when he was on kibble.
I mean practice while preparing food. I didn't mean just teaching him to "settle" in the middle of the day, I mean taking out the bag of kibble and I guess kind of desensitizing him to it? Like take out the bag, give him a command and then a high value treat, do the same as you SLOWWWWWLLLLLLY pour or place kibble into the bowl, etc. and work up to the process/speed which you actually prepare his dinner.

You could also (while the other dogs are away) work up to have him "wait" or stay or whatever while you carry a bowl of food around, into another room, outside, etc...so that he learns that he needs to remain calm while you take food to the other dogs.

Members online

No members online now.