School! HELP! (Advice? Slap to the face? ANYTHING?!)

JessLough

Love My Mutt
OK so.... long story :p

I graduated high school in 2008. In 2009, I graduated from College with a General Health Science certificate. In September of 2009, I started Veterinary Technician program. Around that time, it was discovered my grandmother had cancer. Around December of 2009, right before final exams for the semester, we found out my grandmother would soon die from cancer, and she was to stay in the hospital until we could get her into hospice care facility. Stress happens, I decided I would take the next semester off to spend as much time with my Grandmother as I could. February 2010, my grandmother passed away. The plan was to go back to school in January of 2011 (since I had all the credits for the first semester).

That didn't happen. New plan was to go in May 2011 for Veterinary Assistant. Didn't happen, due to financial aid issues. NEW plan was to go back to school in May 2012, for Veterinary Assistant.

Then last night happened. For whatever reason, I was looking around the college site. When it comes down to it, I am very much NOT a science person. I cannot sit there and memorize life stages and how long, and medication for all the parasites animals can get. I cannot look under a microscope and be able to tell exactly what kind of parasitic egg the egg is. I had to do it first semester, and I wanted to blow my brains out. NO idea how I passed.

I am, however, VERY good at math. I always have been. I can sit there and memorize numbers and formulas and how to get to numbers and so on and so forth. I have done accounting for a friend's business, and I am currently the treasurer for the local ferret rescue.

It has always been in the back of my mind that I would want to do something math related as a career. I think I just got caught up in the "oh cute animals!" thing.

So I thought about it... and I decided I'm going to go back to school. Next month. For Accounting. Technically, I'm going to do it online, and just do like, one class starting next month to make sure it is what I want to do.

Essentially, with the course I am taking, I will be able to work in any size business, and government. Thinking about it, I think it would be better for me because, well, the money is better. And there are more career opportunities. In the long run, I could always attach it to working with animals, like working in a vet clinic as the accountant. But... I honestly think I would be alright just doing the volunteer work with animals that I do now.

I talked with the boyfriend about it last night... and he essentially agreed that it sounds like it would be a better fit for me, and that he would support whatever I choose, etc and so forth.

But I've said I wanted to work with animals since I was 5. I honestly feel no rush or motivation to go back for vet assistant, at the moment. I don't know... I guess I'm selling myself short if I DON'T go for vet assistant, cause it's what I always said I wanted? I don't want to let other people down.

ARGH. Slap me? Tell me I'm being stupid? I should know wtf I want to do by now... I really should :(

~Tucker&Me~

The GREAT thing about going through school, particularly post secondary, is that you learn what you like and don't like. I went into uni thinking I was going to be a teacher or a geographer. Took a few courses and went nah. I then thought maybe linguistics, so I took an intro course. Dear god, never again :yikes: lol.

What I am getting at is that finding out what you want to do is part of the process of school :) You seem to have found a direction that you think will really work for you, so I think you should go for it! Like you said, you can totally tie that into a job that is animal-related.

When I was little, I really really wanted to be a dog trainer lol. I then realized that although I would enjoy aspects of it, the pay really isn't anything to get excited about. In fact, all the trainers I talked to said that they can't rely only on that job for their income and need something supplemental on the side. So, I decided that fine, I probably wont get a job working with animals. However, I will be making enough money (hopefully) to pursue my animal interests and hobbies comfortably :) I may even also own my own business one day and can bring my dog to work.

Anyway, changing directions in post-secondary is really, really common and totally ok. Be happy you found what you really want to do! I am still surfing classes trying to figure it out :p

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Well think about it - you never really wanted to be a vet tech/assistant if the things they do (looking under a microscope for example, lol) are things you don't enjoy or want to do. Sure, you may have liked the IDEA of being one.
But don't fault yourself, or let others fault you for deciding it might not be the path you want to take. If you're going to take the time to go to school and find a career, it might as well be something you're going to be interested in.

And it's better that you realize that before going through the entire program.

You can always do animal stuff as a hobby. Stay involved without actually having it be your career.

Locke

I had wanted to be a vet since I could talk, but I am just not good with chemistry and math. There was no way in hell I would make it into vet school. Turns out it was a good thing because I really don't think I could handle putting animals to sleep day in day out.

If you feel this is a better match, then go for it!! We all change from our 5 year old selves! Well...most of us anyway.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Think it over, but if Accounting is what makes you happy . . . then become an accountant! You can still work with animals as a volunteer . . . and CPAs make good money and are frankly some of the few people who have no problem getting jobs right now.

Taqroy

But I've said I wanted to work with animals since I was 5. I honestly feel no rush or motivation to go back for vet assistant, at the moment. I don't know... I guess I'm selling myself short if I DON'T go for vet assistant, cause it's what I always said I wanted? I don't want to let other people down.
*smacksyou* You're allowed to change your mind! In fact, you can change your mind as many times as you want. What you definitely should not do (and I say this from experience lol) is let your family choose your direction for you. It's YOUR life, do what YOU want to do - and if what you want/need to do is figure that out don't feel guilty about it.

As for knowing what you want to do....eh. I don't think most people know what they want to do. They just do something and if they don't hate it they tend to stick with it. I've very rarely seen those people that OMGLOVE their jobs. I compensate for the fact that I don't love my job with hobbies. Lots and lots of hobbies. :p

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
If you have any questions about accounting, I'm sure Ian wouldn't mind chatting about it! He has his degree in accounting and just passed the CPA exam :D He's been working in the field for 5 years and is a Senior Auditor. There's definitey not a shortage with the need for accountants so it's definitely a good field to enter :D

But yeah, I totally agree an animal job would be more fun. Ian always talks about how he wishes he looked into going to vet school. He worked at a vet office for 5 or so months while he was in college just as a part time job, and he really enjoyed it.

My vote is to get a job and work. Save a little bit of cash, mature a little, then go to school when you find something that you're interested in. I'm 28 and just started college when I was 27 and it's the best choice I ever made. I would have done badly if I had gone right away.

Dekka

Just try me..
My suggestion is do something you don't mind for a job so you can afford what you love.

I was horse crazy.. I went into horses. I managed a large show/lesson barn, I trained horses, I taught lessons. I went to horse shows both showing and with students. Sounds great right?! No. HAVING to do what you love as a job sucked. I began to dread work because the fun was sucked out.

Now I am going to hopefully lol, get a job I will find interesting and challenging to afford all the crazy dog stuff I want to do (and spoil Darien a little)

CaliTerp07

I think you're making a smart choice. You can fulfill your love of animals through volunteering and taking care of your own, and find a career you are good at (and enjoy parts of) in order to pay the bills and afford your hobbies.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Not everyone knows what to do with their life at the same time. Everyone changes! Heck, I'm almost 28 and in a retail job (that I adore, mind you) while I figure out what my next step is. It might take me a few more years to get there, but who cares? Life is a journey, not a destination. :)

Try it out. If you don't like it, change it. Simple as that. :)

JacksonsMom

I think you are making a great choice! I graduated HS in 2008 also and kind of lingered around community college since then not knowing exactly what I want to do. Like you, financial reasons stopped me from going one semester. Then one semester, I only took, like two classes because I dropped two, etc, etc. Stuff happens. I thought I was going to be one of those people who got it all done and over with quickly; I had done the "jump start" program in HS. But nope, I'm still slow going, but I'm not terribly unhappy about it. In fact, one of my best friends is about to graduate after next semester with a degree in communications and she has NO idea what she wants to do. She doesn't really have a specific field or career in mind so she's basically going out there winging it.

A few months ago, I came upon a discovery that I wanted to be an elementary school teacher. Something just hit me - I had spoken with friends who either are teachers or just graduated with the degree, I had read enough online and researched to actually feel really content with my choice for once in my life. I was over searching for the highest paying jobs, or the easiest jobs, or the most fun jobs, or whatever - I went from thinking of doing business, to criminal justice, to psychology, to communications, back to business again. I'm starting my elem. education degree in January and couldn't be more thrilled about it. It's the first time I've felt any sort of motivation or satisfaction with my school choice.

So I think if that's how you feel about accounting, then you are doing the right thing. And don't worry about being behind, or whatever. You STUCK with it and that's what is important. So many people do a few semesters at community college and then never go back - it's happened to a lot of adults in my life who regret not finishing and I did not want to make the same mistake.

Good luck to you. :)

JacksonsMom

Not everyone knows what to do with their life at the same time. Everyone changes! Heck, I'm almost 28 and in a retail job (that I adore, mind you) while I figure out what my next step is. It might take me a few more years to get there, but who cares? Life is a journey, not a destination. :)

Try it out. If you don't like it, change it. Simple as that. :)
You said it!

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
My vote is to get a job and work. Save a little bit of cash, mature a little, then go to school when you find something that you're interested in. I'm 28 and just started college when I was 27 and it's the best choice I ever made. I would have done badly if I had gone right away.
This.

I graduated HS May 09, didn't go to college until January '11 and did two quarters (though that was to get credits for the Army) but then I started in August under the radiology tech program, thought I would like it and let me tell you, I was WRONG. NEVER.EVER.EVER. again.
I liked the IDEA of being a Rad Tech, but found out it wasn't what I wanted.
So now, I'm living how I want and working towards a job. I want to work with horses, so I am looking for horse farms that need stable hands :)

Everything will work out EXACTLY the way you want it to, just don't beat yourself up over it. Do what *YOU* want to do and you will be happy :)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Just because you go for accounting, doesn't mean you can't work with animals. :) I plan to pursue a degree that doesn't relate to animals at all. But, I still plan to work with animals by other means. Get a job that will allow you to make money. Then start working with animals.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Frankly, I suspect your family will take it well. If I had a kid, I'd be thrilled if they announced that they honestly wanted to be an accountant.

Yeah, its not glamorous, its not romantic, but they will never starve.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I'm on the list for my first class starting Jan. 2nd Financial Accounting 1 or something like that.
Bloody hell I'm nervous

Last edited:

milos_mommy

Good luck! I think it sounds like you're making a good choice. You might find out accounting isn't for you, but it sounds like there's a much better chance it is for you than vet tech work is.

Like other people said, sometimes when you love something (like animals) it's better for the work to be volunteer based or to keep as a hobby.

Dani

Ninja Dog
I took accounting in high school and liked it. It's actually pretty interesting because it's just as much about theory/principles as it is about math.

Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.