For people who have more than two dogs

Fran27

Totally silly questions, but what sexes do you have? What should I get with two (neutered) males?

Frankly seeing the boys fight yesterday calmed me down about getting another dog now (although I'm still in love one guy on petfinder, and they stopped now, see other thread), but we'll probably get another in a few years anyway, so I'm curious what sex we should get then. Any advice?

I have three females. They do get on eachothers nerves every now and then, and used to get into tussles. If I were I think I'd go for a female, since you've got two males already.

Fran27

They are neutered. I was thinking female too, but I wasn't sure it would be a problem with the boys even though they are neutered.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I would also suggest female. I noticed that dogs of the opposite sex USUALLY have less trouble living together. Mack and Hannah got a long fine. Hannah and Shelby had their arguments but not so bad (but Mack and Shelby were good together). Hannah and Lily were constantly battling it out and fighting with each other. Hannah and Foxy are constantly play fighting though, I think I have only heard one or two fights break out between these two and they stop in a matter of seconds and then Foxy's back to annoying Hannah and they are chasing each other around the house agian. I would definetely go female though I think it'd be easiest.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
From what I understand, it is recommended that the dogs be of the opposite sex. In packs, there is both an alpha male and an alpha female. So a female dog will not usually see a male dog as a rival, or vice versa.

Zeus does not always get along with other males (hence no dog parks for Zeus). But he gets along great with any female. My mom's maltese Scandal was the alpha dog in her breeder's pack. She will not hesitate to put any rebellious female dog "in her place," regardless of size. But she will get along fine with a male.

Members online

No members online now.