The dog musing/vent thread

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Abrams is finally slowing down growth wise! Whoot! Only four pounds this past month instead of ten.

Also, baby boy is growing up. He teeth chattered after smelling a female dog's urine today. And yet, he still squats like a girl to pee. LOL
Just be thankful he hasn't ... It seems like when they lift the marking starts :wall: . I don't let them chatter their teeth, I will distract and redirect them when they do this ... I know it's a natural response (like a horse flipping their lips up) but It still bothers me. Even my neutered dogs will do it and even my females will if they smell something really strong and I will redirect them also.

I love my two boy dogs but I don't think I will have boys after these guys ... I know that females are supposed to get along better with men and males with women but I have always found females easier to get along with and train then males. Males to me are too goofy and not as serious about training or life in general :p

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Been wondering if entering Auggie in Louisville was the right thing to do.
I just got our entry confirmation and there he is. My Auggie. And the smile on my face told me what I needed to know.

I got two months.
Let's get this.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I don't let them chatter their teeth, I will distract and redirect them when they do this ...
When he does things like teeth chatter, or licks himself, or humps the air...my cue for him to stop is, "Quit being a gross boy dog." LOL :p Then he quits.

I love my derpy boy, though. And, this should probably go in the good news thread, but guess what I haven't had to complain about recently? Abrams whizzing on my carpet on his way out the door! WHOOT! Yay for more bladder control!!! Still have to let him out quickly after long periods of being crated, but that's it! I even had to fiddle with the chain for a few seconds earlier today and he HELD IT while I did so! Big boy bladder is slowly asserting itself!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
My dogs are being so good. I let them out twice during the work day because I was fortunate enough to. Then I went to a bar with some friends after work. I really rarely ever do that... last time was several months ago. End result is Mia got not much exercise and she's just been lying down chewing her bully stick and being good.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Been wondering if entering Auggie in Louisville was the right thing to do.
I just got our entry confirmation and there he is. My Auggie. And the smile on my face told me what I needed to know.

I got two months.
Let's get this.

Go Auggie go!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I left Fable in the kitchen for like a minute and found her playing with a big frying pan. *sigh*

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Cajun had her private training session tonight. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get out of work early... heck I ended up being stuck half an hour late (which NEVER happens, so of course it would happen today), but I still managed to catch the tail end of what was going on. Basically the trainer is 100% sure we can fix this, as long as we do what we're supposed to lol. But she said her SA is really very mild and she's so highly food motivated that it's kinda easy to keep her out of that anxious state.

I am willing to trust a person who is capable of living with a few malinois. :p

And, Juno was super pumped to be reunited with the trainer she hasn't seen in a couple years. She was all OMG YOU COME TO MY HOUSE TOO FOOD LADY??

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Why are guardian breeds getting so popular recently? I've seen 3 boerboels just around town the last couple months. My cousin just got a boerboel and it's already having issues and will only listen to him and will challenge his wife and kids. I'm pretty worried this is going to end up poorly.

Some girls at work were squealing over and one seriously considering a Caucasian Shepherd puppy at a rescue. I usually keep my dog nerd-dom to myself but I got pretty horrified and tried to explain the nature of the breed to them but all they were like is 'awww it's so fluffy and huge!' She decided not to because of the shedding of all things.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Why are guardian breeds getting so popular recently? I've seen 3 boerboels just around town the last couple months. My cousin just got a boerboel and it's already having issues and will only listen to him and will challenge his wife and kids. I'm pretty worried this is going to end up poorly.

Some girls at work were squealing over and one seriously considering a Caucasian Shepherd puppy at a rescue. I usually keep my dog nerd-dom to myself but I got pretty horrified and tried to explain the nature of the breed to them but all they were like is 'awww it's so fluffy and huge!' She decided not to because of the shedding of all things.
I've noticed this, too, actually. My cousin and her fiance got an Anatolian shepherd/great pyr cross, and I'm kind of worried because they're both first time dog owners and got her on a whim ("cheap puppies" sign. . .). The puppy is so sweet, and things may turn out a-okay, but I still would not recommend either breed to someone who has no prior dog experience. :/

Slick

Kristina
Leo keeps hitting me in the face with his cone. It hurts a lot! It is not a cone of shame...it is a cone of destruction.

Oy, two days of no strenuous activity, and he is already going crazy. The vet told me 10 days of no-running. For those of you who got your boy dogs neutered, is that how long you waited? I don't know if we can handle that long.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Leo keeps hitting me in the face with his cone. It hurts a lot! It is not a cone of shame...it is a cone of destruction.

Oy, two days of no strenuous activity, and he is already going crazy. The vet told me 10 days of no-running. For those of you who got your boy dogs neutered, is that how long you waited? I don't know if we can handle that long.
That did NOT happen. :rofl1:

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Just found out that an OES that I LOVE is going to be bred. I hate puppies, I don't want a puppy, I couldn't possibly add another dog to my life, I don't even want to. But there's still part of me that is disappointed knowing that I can't have one.

Also, I have no idea who the dam is going to be either. Which also means, who the breeder is going to be. That is only like the most important part. But yanno. :rofl1:

Paviche

Duuuuude.
The BF was very insistent that 3 dogs are too many. Last night he told me that he doesn't want me to have 3... the third one will be his. :) Progress! Now I just need to convince him that he wants a poodle and it will be like nothing changed. ;)

He also talked about how nice it would be to have a yard that he could take Riff out and play fetch in. He and Riff have never been best buddies because of Riff's fear of men, so it's taken a while for Riff to adjust to Jeromy, and has been stressful for both of them. Now I'm so thrilled that as Riff gets better with him, Jeromy is starting to enjoy him more.

Last edited:

crazedACD

I've noticed a serious increase in molossers. And not really an increase in dog knowledge by these people.

SpringerLover

Just found out that an OES that I LOVE is going to be bred. I hate puppies, I don't want a puppy, I couldn't possibly add another dog to my life, I don't even want to. But there's still part of me that is disappointed knowing that I can't have one.

Also, I have no idea who the dam is going to be either. Which also means, who the breeder is going to be. That is only like the most important part. But yanno. :rofl1:
We could maybe go visit Fluffeh Puppehs anyways?!

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
The BF was very insistent that 3 dogs are too many. Last night he told me that he doesn't want me to have 3... the third one will be his. :) Progress! Now I just need to convince him that he wants a poodle and it will be like nothing changed. ;)

He also talked about how nice it would be to have a yard that he could take Riff out and play fetch in. He and Riff have never been best buddies because of Riff's fear of men, so it's taken a while for Riff to adjust to Jeromy, and has been stressful for both of them. Now I'm so thrilled that as Riff gets better with him, Jeromy is starting to enjoy him more.
My OH is like that too ... He says he wants a GSD, that's fine, then he says he wants a Malinois and I was like ... Hail no. Not because I have something against them as a breed, I think they are AWESOME hard core dogs, but knowing him there is NO WAY he is he right kind of person to own a Mal.

The only thing I told him is that HE is the one who has to be totally involved with the dog or it will bond to me, he has to take it out at 2 am when it had to pee, he has to feed it and train it ... Etc and I don't think he has the dedication to do it which is why I want some say in what breed he gets because I have a funny feeling I will be raising it :/.

I wish he would leave dogs to me, but he sees how I am with mine and wants that too, the relationship and the closeness I mean. But he doesn't understand that to get that Kind of bond is the result of countless hours off ins spent.

Members online