HI new member and i have a question

racer71

hi
i just joined this forum and i already have a question. my husband and i just adopted a new dog yesterday. he is about 6-7 mos old and he is a english coon hound (redtick). he is very shy and timid but a very good dog. does not show any aggression at all. the lady we got him from said she found him on a country road and she ran an ad with no response so she assumes he was dumped. he is getting better with being shy, he slept with us all night and slept good all night. my question is that he has not urinated yet since we brought him home. the lady said he was house trained and he hasnt gone in the house either. but he also hasnt drunk very much either and hasnt ate at all. we had a rot for nine years and she passed away about a month ago and so i am not sure if i am comparing her to him (we havent decided on a name--we were going to go with gater but it kind of dont fit him). should i be worried about this or give him time. he is now starting to play a little with my husband. like i said he is a great dog but i am just concerned. any advise i would love. thanks so much

Try grating some cheese and sprinkling it on the water.It will possibly entice him into Drinking.It will take some time for him to get used to you.Welcome.I am sure others will have better advice.I am Lisa.

Y

yuckaduck

Welcome to Chazhound

If you just adopted your doggy he may be a bit stressed with the change. As he settles in he will eat and drink and do his duties. I had that happen with Storm when he first came here too. It is normal with some dogs. It took Storm a couple of days to settle, Hope took about a week before she settled in.

Pictures please!:D

racer71

thanks for the quick response. i will post pictures really soon. love this forum. i was hoping that it was just him adjusting as we have fell in love with him already. thanks so much everyone

Y

yuckaduck

Hey look at that, Lisa ya got there just before me. I bet we were posting at the same time because when I started you were not there yet. Hehe sisters!

Maybe we are soul mates!

Julie

I am back again.
racer71 said:
hi
i just joined this forum and i already have a question. my husband and i just adopted a new dog yesterday. he is about 6-7 mos old and he is a english coon hound (redtick). he is very shy and timid but a very good dog. does not show any aggression at all. the lady we got him from said she found him on a country road and she ran an ad with no response so she assumes he was dumped. he is getting better with being shy, he slept with us all night and slept good all night. my question is that he has not urinated yet since we brought him home. the lady said he was house trained and he hasnt gone in the house either. but he also hasnt drunk very much either and hasnt ate at all. we had a rot for nine years and she passed away about a month ago and so i am not sure if i am comparing her to him (we havent decided on a name--we were going to go with gater but it kind of dont fit him). should i be worried about this or give him time. he is now starting to play a little with my husband. like i said he is a great dog but i am just concerned. any advise i would love. thanks so much
I love English!! Reds or Blues.
I bet this dog is just not used to being in the house.
Try giving the dog some water and food outside.

As for the shy part, sorry to say but alot of these types of dogs have been mistreated during training and hunting. I bet he will come around in time.
It is possible this dog just didn't hunt like the owner wanted. So he was turned out. Cause if it was a good hunter believe me, it would have a collar and name tag of previous owners.
(Just guessing at the hunting thing.)

Do you have any other animals? like cats? Does the dog chase and bay?
If you don't have any, be extremely careful while walking him.

Just leave some water and food available for him.

I have been around quite a few of these dogs, and in my experience they are VERY LOYAL to their master. And very protective, and give little warning before guarding loved ones and property. I mean they don't seem to growl before grabbing hold of someone. But they will definately bark. I just love to hear the sound of a baying English dog.
If this dog has been hunted before, in his mind cats will be fair game. So be careful.

I would love to see pics too.

Keep us posted, As I think he just needs some settling in time.:D
And welcome to chazhound.

Julie.

When coonhunting, the dog at the tree first starts baying. The hunter recognizes his own dogs bark and always says...."Strike" my dog. Meaning give his dog credit for treeing the coon. Well I kinda like "Strike" as a name.
And it kinda has a hidden meaning for a nonhunting coonhound.

Best wishes.

yuckaduck said:
Hey look at that, Lisa ya got there just before me. I bet we were posting at the same time because when I started you were not there yet. Hehe sisters!

Maybe we are soul mates!
yeah some times I take a while to finish my posts too.I am pokey.we post at the same time often.

Debi

Hi and WELCOME!!!!!!!!! you might ask again under 'dog breeds' for more exposure to your question. sounds like you already received some good advice here, tho. :)

Members online

No members online now.