Lucas's new choker.....

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Monroe is! :) When's that one at??

I think I will enjoy myeslf! :) Thanks showpug for suggesting them! Even if I don't get the colar (probably will though lol) I know I'll have fun just looking at everything! :)

OMG those mendota slip leads are so handy in deed!!!!! Great for quickly slipping over dog's heads to take them to start lines for races!!! I don't go for walks with them (use a regular leather collar or nylong buckle collar) but always use them on race days!

showpug

Babyblue5290 said:
Monroe is! :) When's that one at??

I think I will enjoy myeslf! :) Thanks showpug for suggesting them! Even if I don't get the colar (probably will though lol) I know I'll have fun just looking at everything! :)
Okay, it's a little while from now, but you should still go! You will have fun and bring spending money!! Dog show vendors have very cool things that you can't find at regular pet shops. Tons on cool leads, toys, treats, bowls etc. You will love it. The dates are November 19th and 20th and it's being held at the Evergreen State Fairgrounds off Hwy 2. Shows usually start around 8 am and go until around 3 or 4pm and the vendors are there all day. Enjoy :)

RD

Are you dead yet?
I LOVE the Mendota leads. I have two of the "walkers" for Dakota and they're fantastic. He's rough on leads, and these don't look any worse for the wear. They're also VERY soft and don't bother his hair. (I have the same collar problem as you do - Dakota's had the same collar his entire life because it's the only nylon collar that I've found that's supple and doesn't stain his fur.)

The martingale walkers that I have:
http://www.mendotaproducts.com/products/dog_walkers.htm

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
showpug said:
Okay, it's a little while from now, but you should still go! You will have fun and bring spending money!! Dog show vendors have very cool things that you can't find at regular pet shops. Tons on cool leads, toys, treats, bowls etc. You will love it. The dates are November 19th and 20th and it's being held at the Evergreen State Fairgrounds off Hwy 2. Shows usually start around 8 am and go until around 3 or 4pm and the vendors are there all day. Enjoy :)
I'm excited already! :D lol
I've also marked it on my calenders.........lol all 2 of them! :p Thanks showpug!! I can't wiat till November!!!!! :D

R

rottiegirl

I do not recomend choke chains, because they cause muscle damage. I would use a harness or a prong colar *gasp*! Yeah I know alot of people who think prong colars are cruel. I have talked to many trainers about this, and they say that it is one of the best tools to help train your dog, only if they are used correctly. Here is a link on how to properly use one http://www.leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm I know alot of you are going to try to argue with me about this, but that is not what I am here to do. I based my opinion on my own experience with prong colars, and the advice trainers have given me.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
rottiegirl said:
I do not recomend choke chains, because they cause muscle damage. I would use a harness or a prong colar *gasp*! Yeah I know alot of people who think prong colars are cruel. I have talked to many trainers about this, and they say that it is one of the best tools to help train your dog, only if they are used correctly. Here is a link on how to properly use one http://www.leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm I know alot of you are going to try to argue with me about this, but that is not what I am here to do. I based my opinion on my own experience with prong colars, and the advice trainers have given me.
If you read through my posts on this you'll see I'm not using it for any training. Lucas is VERY good on lead now and doesn't pull. Thank you for your concern though..

R

rottiegirl

Babyblue, I didnt know that you are not trying to train him, but why did you get him a choke chain? After all, they are made for training. im just wandering.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
rottiegirl said:
Babyblue, I didnt know that you are not trying to train him, but why did you get him a choke chain? After all, they are made for training. im just wandering.
Read through my posts, I said:

Babyblue5290 said:
Guy's....it's NOT for training lol. Lucas walks fine on leash and doesn't pull at all (except a harness I just can't get him to stop pulling, not a lot but still he pulls on the harness). For one, he can slip the regular collars/harnesses even when I've had someone who knew how to fit them fit it on him and even though he doesn't try to anymore I'm still afraid of him getting off the leash. It's just the fear of him getting off leash and running into traffic or something. Plus like jxxlxxs said, it gives me the knowledge that IF the time did come I could control him and not be pulled along the street.

Gempress: Don't worry, it's not a cheap one. I bought it at the pet store I work at and it's a pretty nice collar.

Twilight: He does have a harness with the ring on the front (as well as a regular collar and another harness with the ring on the back), but with that he pulls worse and know's how to get out of it. He is such a tricky dog when he wants to be!

animalbiz: Thanks, I made it a point to make sure it was on right. And I only put it on him when it has to be on, like for walks. It goes on right before the walk and comes off right as we get in. So no worries there. :)

I don't really like chokers as a training tool, I personally like using harnesses for dogs. The two other dogs that I walk both have harnesses and I like using them, but for Lucas the choke chain is better. It has not once tightened on our walks. He knows to heel and stays on a loosh-leash the entire time. I worked really hard with him on not pulling and the "leave it command" (those small animals are pretty tempting lol) to get him to where he is.

Any more questions or, preferably, compliments? lol :p
Do you understand now? :)

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
Slip chains that cause grey streaks around a dogs neck or hang in the fur are too small. when pulled a slip chain should have minimum of 2 inches and on large dogs 3 inches of slack when the collar is on choke. It should fit loosely not snug. It should be able to slip to the base of the neck. Looks like Lucus should wear about a 22 inch collar no smaller that 18. Just my opinion.

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
The Mendota type lead is a great lead. Showpug is right you ought to try one. I have one only made of leather had it for years. If you can you ought to try one made like that. Dogs learn very quickly not to pull with them. Work differently than a slip collar. Those look very strong and durable. Thanks show pug for the link.

Swiftwind

Harley & Abby
Both of my dogs wear a check-chain (same as 'choke-chain'.. that's such a horrible name though). My dogs cope well and if you have the chain on properly it instantly loosens when you stop applying pressure.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Old Dog said:
Slip chains that cause grey streaks around a dogs neck or hang in the fur are too small. when pulled a slip chain should have minimum of 2 inches and on large dogs 3 inches of slack when the collar is on choke. It should fit loosely not snug. It should be able to slip to the base of the neck. Looks like Lucus should wear about a 22 inch collar no smaller that 18. Just my opinion.
The one he has on beleive me is long enough! lol It doesn't cause the streaks.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Old Dog said:
The Mendota type lead is a great lead. Showpug is right you ought to try one. I have one only made of leather had it for years. If you can you ought to try one made like that. Dogs learn very quickly not to pull with them. Work differently than a slip collar. Those look very strong and durable. Thanks show pug for the link.
Lucas already knows not to pull on lead, but I'm still going to try to get one at the dog show in Monroe that showpug suggested :)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Sirius said:
See post Collars 101 in training forum. Looks adorable by the way, just be careful.
umm.......k lol

Don't worry, Lucas will be fine in it for now. Thanks for the compliment!! :)

Members online

No members online now.