r they good in agility?

I can't imagine why not. Any dog can do agility, really. But yes, Goldens are good because they are athletic, not to big, and trainable.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Oh I know Gaddy, but I've always wanted to do agility w/ a dog. I love to watch it and it looks like so mch fun to do!

RD

Are you dead yet?
Dakota's breeder has a Golden that does agility, and she's wonderful at it. She's not as agile as the Border Collies, or as swift as the Jack Russells, but she's very consistent and I think she's great at it.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Cool Rips. That is what I want to do, just be out there running around w/ my dog having fun. I think its fun looking and even more fun to do. Thanks Rip also I like your Border Collie's name..LOL

RD

Are you dead yet?
Dakotah_2009 said:
Cool Rips. That is what I want to do, just be out there running around w/ my dog having fun. I think its fun looking and even more fun to do. Thanks Rip also I like your Border Collie's name..LOL
I do, too. ;) I named him all wrong for a Border Collie, it is ideal for BCs to have one and two-syllable names, (They say, because BCs move so fast, you have to get the name and command out in a hurry. ;)) but when I saw him as a baby that was the first name that came to mind, and it really stuck.

Agility is all about having fun, and fun is one of the things that Goldens seem to do best. :) I think it's awesome to watch them work because they always show so much enthusiasm.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Yea, I understand about the naming BCs, they do move fast u k=need a short name. Yea I'm gonna start agility as soon as the age comes.

Dakotah_2009 said:
Golden Retrievers I mean
Like most things, it depends. There's an amazing "Golden" team in my area - the dog's name is Rosie and she is FAST! Moake, down in Texas was on the world team with a Golden. So, in short - there are some great Goldens out there.

The problem I see with GOldens is that many come from obedience backgrounds and well, while a Golden can be chunky and do well in obedience, the same is not true in agility. A heavier set Golden is going to have problems - first in terms of competitivness and second in terms of the physical strain jumping puts on the dog's body.

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Well the lady I'm getting my Golden puppy from , she does therapy and does ervices w/ her dogs, like seeing eye dogs and helping the eldery. But she said that goldens are good in agility, and thats what I've always wanted to do is agility!!!! I will train him and do anything. We will exercise everyday and all. It just looks like so much fun!!

I should clairfy - the question is are they GOOD in agility vs CAN they do agility?

The answer to are they "GOOD" some are great There's one near me named Rosie whose photo is in the august issue of Cleanrun. I've lost track on the MACHS on that dog.

Other Goldens have trouble getting over the jumps - although that has a lot to do with conditioning aside from structure. Working lines seem to do better. The extra bulk of a Golden tends to be the problem. But as Show Pug put it, there's a place in agility for all dogs. I've seen Bulldogs and Bassets doing it too!

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
Good answers Mighty, yea i was wondering if they CAN do it too. LOL

Well I'm gonna start Dallas in agility training when he is about 6 months, but just the little stuff tho.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
There's a Golden in my agility group and she does great in most of it. We're the beginners, so none of us are working for speed yet, just familiarizing ourselves with the different obstacles. Rosie does fine for most of it, she's just not so sure about the balancing board. It's nothing you'd ever find in a competition but works towards confidence building and teaching the dog to think about it's balance, feet, and get it used to an unstable moving surface.

Members online

No members online now.