What not to do in an interview

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
So I had to hire 3 people this past week. As a note here are some things that happened during the process of interviewing people which in part led to my decision to not recommend hiring.

Not removing the chew from your mouth prior to interviewing o_O Bringing your sprite spit bottle with you was extra points.

Answering your text messages during your interview while I'm asking you questions.

Clearly you were drinking prior to coming into this interview so much so I would fear an open flame or spark.

While dressing super nice isn't required for my interviews a stained faded dirty T shirt and sweatpants is less than inspiring.

Telling me about how much you hate Obama isn't exactly the work history description I was going for. I guess if you try hard enough hate could be full time work though.

I did end up recommending four people but OMG... I have never interviewed so many people so over the line the other way before.

Barbara!

...I I thought that was common sense? It's sad you had to make a list for this. Lol.

Paige

Let it be
Are you sure they want to be hired? Some people need to prove they are looking for work to qualify for social assistance, do they not? Thats the only reason I can even begin to think of that someone would think any of that is a decent idea to do in an interview.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
-Do not talk trash about your old job/old boss.
Jobs/bosses are like relationships. Nobody wants to jump in with someone who is bitter and talking bad about them, because one day when you leave THIS company, we don't want you doing that about us.

- Know about the company. I used to help my dad interview secretaries and it's like, how did you not even know anything about us? come on now.

- Don't chew gum. Just.. don't.

- Turn OFF your phone.

- Smell good. or if you can't smell good (and don't understand the concept of LESS PERFUME IS MORE) just smell like nothing.

- I know it sounds stupid but PRACTICE answering common interview questions. You may think you know what to say in your head but practicing with a friend provides VITAL input on your answers/how you phrase things/how you are talking etc..

- Change your resume for every interview. Highlight what they are looking for more prominently (aka: if you are applying as a secretary.. typing 1000 words per minute should be higher up on your resume than your cooking job)

- Don't curse.

- Smile. Please and thank you. Excuse me?. Sorry, I didn't catch that, could you repeat the question?

- It was a pleasure to meet you. The pleasure was all mine, thank you so much for this opportunity

- How are you doing? Well and yourself?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Oh the texting thing. I was supposed to train a new employee a while back and she texted the entire time I was trying to show her how to load data in this one program. It just irks me.

milos_mommy

Jeez, and I thought it was bad when a woman interviewing me asked me what I like to do in my free time and I blurted out "well, I just went to a Mongolian Throat Singing concert!"

Or when my friend introduced himself to his interviewer by stating his first and last name and shaking his hand, and then, at a loss for what to say next, informed the interviewer "That's my name!"

Romy

Taxiderpy
Jeez, and I thought it was bad when a woman interviewing me asked me what I like to do in my free time and I blurted out "well, I just went to a Mongolian Throat Singing concert!"

Or when my friend introduced himself to his interviewer by stating his first and last name and shaking his hand, and then, at a loss for what to say next, informed the interviewer "That's my name!"
Totally off topic, but have you ever seen Chirgilchin?

Saeleofu

- Turn OFF your phone.
Leave it in the car!

In my Into to Zoo Science class we had a whole unit on interviewing. Most of it is common sense, but some of them were "Hmmm, interesting..."

I interviewed for my current job at the zoo three times - one real interview, one one-on-one discussion that was really just a formality since she knows me well by this point (I used to work for her, I was in her class, and I had already formally interviewed once), where we got to talking about UKC and the new UKC club I'm on the board of. And then a final working interview just to make sure it was what I expected it to be.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Really I'm just checking for crazy, lazy, and cannot be taught at these things. These were entry level positions - I wasn't looking for anything special. Honestly someone could have shown up in a McDonald's uniform and probably would have been welcomed in.

BTW the throat singing concert thing is a great line for an interview. It's a great way to be remembered. Memorable without being weird is a good thing.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
BEST interview quote of all time. I DID hire this guy BTW.

"What do you feel is your greatest weakness and how do you think it would affect your work here?"

"I'm allergic to peanuts. So I'd be very easy to assassinate."

crazedACD

That's too funny..I can't believe the spit bottle thing. That's just crazy. And here I'm always mildly surprised when people come to turn in apps or ask for a job, they are dressed in tank tops and flip flops and speak down to me. Hey, if I bring your application to my manager and say "This one's kind of a douche"..you aren't getting hired.

I did screw up a working interview..literally my car battery died, I called, got in 45min late and they told me to go home, being late on the first day=bad. Oh well.

Members online