Would you go to a trainer

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
That you've talked with before through the internet and not exactly gotten along with?

Just thinking... I don't want to be too specific. They seem like a great trainer and all but we've had some rather heated discussions before. :lol-sign: I'm kind of nervous to sign up.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
It really depends on what your differences are. If they are personal and nothing to do with dog training I could probably go and listen to what they have for input. If they are related to dog training I'd prob go elsewhere.

Dekka

Just try me..
If I respected their training and teaching methods and thought they were the best fit for my dog, then yes. If no then I wouldn't.

milos_mommy

I agree....I'm assuming it was a dog forum you had heated discussions on? And I'm going to assume the discussions were on ethics/something that wasn't dog training, or that if it was on something to do with training, the trainer is going to respect you not using certain methods they support or vice versa on your dog? Then sure, I'd go!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It has nothing to do with dog training, just somewhat of a clash of personalities. I haven't actually sat in on a class or anything so I can just go by word of mouth and such as far as what their style of training is. It sounds good though to me and I don't really know of another option to train in that venue around here either.

Dekka

Just try me..
Bad training is worse than going it on your own. So I would go sit in on a class.

milos_mommy

I'd sit in on a class. If it turns out they're a great trainer, you probably don't want to miss out just because their personality grates on you a little.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
One of my instructors has a hard to like personality... She was the reason i was avoiding that particular club actually, but things are getting better and we're learning from her.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Me, personally...if I think I'll get something out of the instruction and it would benefit my dog, I have no trouble signing up for the class/seminar in which I can't stand the instructor normally. It's a finite class and there's no reason to socialize outside of it.

I think I could personally bite my tongue and tolerate personality differences for a good trainer up to a certain point.

I mean, if someone just sort of grates on me a bit I can set that aside. If I can hardly stand to be in the same room as them, I'm not sure I could really focus on the task at hand.

It depends on why we don't get along. For example, the trainer I took Jack to for obedience work was awesome - I loved him, I loved his training methods. I don't like the fact that he feeds crappy food (Eukanuba, Iams, etc). But, as that as nothing whatsoever to do with dog training, I would gladly keep going to him.

Equinox

Haha, I do know who you're talking about and honestly I probably dislike this person more than you do (as far as opinions and attitude expressed online goes). That being said she may be completely different in person, and I feel that she does seem to have the knowledge and experience to possibly be a good instructor. I'd want to meet her in person and sit through a lesson - is there any chance you'd be able to visit without the dogs and ask to watch an ongoing lesson? I know our obedience instructor allows and encourages anyone potentially interested to do just that.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I think I would give it a shot, after meeting her in person and maybe sitting in on a class (something I'd do no matter who the trainer, tbh). You never know, she could be TOTALLY different in person. I remember emailing Quinn's breeder before we met her in person she could sound a little bit controlling but I think it was either just the way she phrased things or just how we understood them - in person her and her husband were (are) so awesome and were so willing to work with us!

Members online

No members online now.