Horse people please critique

HELLO EVERYONE as you all know i just purchased a thoroughbred mare well i was looking online and my boyfriend and i have been planning on getting another one. WELL! i think i found one. He is a 4-8 year old Thoroughbred Quarter Horse :) Broke to ride. We are going to go look at him tomorrow but here are the ad pictures i found today what do you think? there not the best but i will be taking more tomorrow once we go see him

* his color caught my eye and i love his body style, i also love that he is gelded! love that hes an appendix also *

Lyzelle

First thing I see is a long back. I can't judge his shoulder well because he's leaning forward, but there's something about it I don't like. Seems like he toes out behind, but again, might be angle and he's not properly set up. I don't like his loin connection, either.

I'd expect a bit of a jackhammer of a ride, honestly, and some back issues on top of it. I'd get a PPE if I were you.

Again, all based on poor photos, but that is what I see.

Dekka

Just try me..
Can't really tell anything by those pictures, other than he is a horse lol. And maybe that he is quite find boned for an appendix.

Actually that his feet having been looked after as they are a bizarre shape.

Hmm looking again I would say I hope he is no more than 4. Just by going by his topline.. it looks very undeveloped. Maybe a young horse not work...

Miakoda

I'm not a fan. Long back. Shallow girth. Don't like his hind end. Of course, those aren't the best pics to go on, but that's just my opinion of what I do see.

Dekka

Just try me..
FWIW I think those pictures are misleading. I don't think he has a long back, I think he has a long croup and a shallow girth which makes him long.

adojrts

Thin, possibly straight shouldered, also back at the knee and that near front is a club foot with a sheared heel which would really concern me. Would need to see better pics to really tell.

Miakoda

Thin, possibly straight shouldered, also back at the knee and that near front is a club foot with a sheared heel which would really concern me. Would need to see better pics to really tell.
I just pulled this thread up on my iphone so I could check that out better by making the pic larger. I was wondering if I was seeing things.

BostonBanker

Would you be as drawn to him if he were brown?

The pictures really are nearly impossible to judge him by, but the left front foot would worry me quite a bit. I'd deal with a lot of different build issues before I'd deal with foot issues.

SkyRock

Agree. Personally not the type of horse I would buy, I'm sure you can get a better horse for equal price. Those pictures don't do him justice at all, I would also ask to see a video showing his movements, walk, trot and canter... I don't know, looking by this pictures not a horse I would want.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I just want to add that he looks to be some kind of tobiano going grey, in which case he's most likely paint x tb, not quarter horse x tb. There are lots of registered Quarter Horses who carry one or more overo patterns, but not tobiano.

thank you everyone i will be going to see him tonight after work! :) i will put him on a lead and run him around. take him for a test ride ( his daughters ride him with no problem ) and i will take better photos :) thank you again :D

adojrts

thank you everyone i will be going to see him tonight after work! :) i will put him on a lead and run him around. take him for a test ride ( his daughters ride him with no problem ) and i will take better photos :) thank you again :D
I would strongly suggest that someone there ride him first and show you what he can and can't do. If they are unwilling to ride him first that is a big red flag. Good luck.

Doberluv

I thought at first his back was too long, but upon closer look, his withers extend back quite a way which is good and his croup is long. I don't think his actual back is so long. His legs somehow bother me....angles (some of that may be on account of the hooves being messed up)....and his shoulders look too weak...steep. I don't like his chest much. I don't think he's a terrible looking horse. I've seen worse. And those things may or may not affect him. I agree to have them ride him first to show you what he can do. And get a vet to look him over if you're going to buy him.

Doberluv

Soooooo??? What happened? How was your visit? Have you come to any decisions? I hope whatever you decide works out for the best for you.

crazedACD

I would strongly suggest that someone there ride him first and show you what he can and can't do. If they are unwilling to ride him first that is a big red flag. Good luck.
Words to live by. A horse nearly killed my friend after the owner refused to get on her first ("I was thrown last night by a different horse, I'm too sore"). This was supposed to be a bombproof/kid proof/beginner horse.

adojrts

Words to live by. A horse nearly killed my friend after the owner refused to get on her first ("I was thrown last night by a different horse, I'm too sore"). This was supposed to be a bombproof/kid proof/beginner horse.
Oh yeah, very common story. I tell when I make the appointment, don't accept any excuses........if they can't ride for any reason, it is their responsiblity to provide someone that will. If they don't, we cancel or walk away after we are there. Too many good horses out there to risk it.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I was at a draft horse sale with some friends and we were looking at a nice Percheron mare. She drove and I asked the owner if she rode. He didn't know and invited me to hop on her to find out. Yeah, no thanks buddy- you first.

Members online

No members online now.