What do you use on the floor of your whelping box?

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
Im curious to see what people use in thier whelping boxes.
At first I use large sheets. I then move on to shredded paper/news paper or puppy pads or sometimes even both.
What do you use?

bubbatd

Mine whelped on quilt and towels. Then to half the pen with quilt and rug / half spread out newspapers ..... for the duration of their puppy days with me.

Brattina88

I am *not* a breeder... but when I fostered a prego (looong time ago :p) I used shredded newspaper and shredded paper towels - mostly shredded paper towels ;)

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
When I raised foster litters, I did so outside and I used straw. Also used straw when raising a litter outside at Iditarod kennels I worked for. Haven't raised a litter inside yet so can't comment from experience there.

bubbatd

I tried to keep everything very clean as it helped in toilet training. I would think shredded paper or straw too hard to change 4 or 5 times a day .

MomOf7

Evil Kitty taco eater
I use cotton flannel like sheets for the first few weeks when the mom is still cleaning up thier messes. Then I will use puppy pads. Then when they are being really messy I use newspaper flat to line the box/area and some shreds on top for better traction. I will also combine a large crate lined with towels and gated area lined with newspapers and shredded newspapers. The crate is where they sleep. Makes crate training easier for new owners.
Right now cleaining is easy.....Cant wait till they get solid food for sure:rolleyes:

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
bubbatd said:
I tried to keep everything very clean as it helped in toilet training. I would think shredded paper or straw too hard to change 4 or 5 times a day .
We (myself and those I worked for) changed straw once or twice a day and never had problems. As soon as pups were able to toodle around outside the box, they learned almost instantly to potty outside the box.

ChiBree

Funny, I was going to ask a simualr question :) My little ones are pottying on their own now and things are getting messy. I was thinking of towels on one side/ puppy pads on the other. Mine are in a Baby play pen. Of course my breed is small.

For those following my posts and happenings....my little cleft palat baby is still with me! :)

bubbatd

To each his own..... I never liked whelping on newspaper due to the traction and ink.

bubbatd said:
To each his own..... I never liked whelping on newspaper due to the traction and ink.
really I haveent had a problem with Jess, but she was very quite through, i guess if wouldnt be ok for a dog that moved around alot. Pluss she liked to shred it through out, towels are great also we got a load from charity shops

canadianmandy

Certified Animallover!
When Love and her Mother Whelped we used pee pads... The thing you put in baby beds when they wet the bed... It like a blanket buts its gotta rubber bottem to keep liquid in. I used them up till about 5 weeks of age then I used saw dust. We bought several pee pads so when one got wet we just changed it. But try as we might Lovie would get to their poop before we did... It was a loosing battle. She would still try to "clean up" after them at 8 weeks (YUCK) Love was a great mommy she weaned the puppies herself.
unluckly she hated her whelping box and chose my closet only to desert it and Whelp on my bed. Good thing I woke up and slid a pad under her.... it could have got messy!!!!

bubbatd

Believe me... this wouldn't have worked with my Goldens !!! Besides, we didn't have pee-pads back then. I would NEVER use saw dust !

bubbatd said:
Believe me... this wouldn't have worked with my Goldens !!! Besides, we didn't have pee-pads back then. I would NEVER use saw dust !
I know what you mean saw dust or wood chippings are a huge no no, they stick to the puppy's they puppy's could choke on them and also its bad for their respiratory health

canadianmandy

Certified Animallover!
I only used saw dust when they were older in their outdoor run.. when I had them out to play. It was to keep the ticks and flees away. cedar is known to keep flees and ticks away. I did not use them when they are new born. I did not use it indoors either.

Members online

No members online now.