Vibes for Baby Payton please

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Yesterday at agility, I pulled Payton out of his crate before his run and freaked out a bit because his face looked SUPER puffy. I asked Auggie's breeder (she's a CVT) to look at it and she thought he had some kind of lumpy nodule on the right side of his muzzle. I popped him a Benadryl and the puffiness went down pretty quickly, and he was in a good mood and playing. We thought maybe just sinuses from environmental allergies? Though I thought there was a possibility that there was a spider in his crate (I had just picked them up from my house Thursday night and loaded them into the car, and they were in my garage where they are definitely spiders.) and maybe a spider bit him.

Well, at 2AM he woke me up in the hotel room, obviously upset. He kept shaking his head and was holding his ear off to the side - his right ear was bothering him. By 2:30AM I didn't know what do, he wasn't settling down. I tried trimming the hair around his ear in case it was bothering him, nope. I tried cleaning it out with a cotton ball and didn't see anything gross in there... but when I really looked down inside the ear canal, I could see spots of blood. So I pulled out the phone book to try and find the emergency vet for where we are for agility. I called and asked their advice and she said try another benadryl.
For a few minutes around 3:15 or so, it seemed like he was going to settle down... then he started panting again and shaking his head non-stop. At 3:30 it had been a half hour since the Benadryl and he was still pretty clearly in distress, so I put my clothes on and drove to the e-vet.

They had to sedate him to look down in his ear canal to make sure there wasn't any kind of debris in there or anything. There was nothing there, but she thought there might have been a small tear on his eardrum. So he has ABX and some pain killers/mild sedative and there's really nothing else we can do except wait for him to get better. She said to have my regular vet re-check him in a week.

He was doing better at agility this morning but about mid-afternoon he was getting fidgety again. I gave him some Rescue Remedy and Traumeel and that seemed to help for a bit. He's in a crate in the hotel room right now though, because he's obviously uncomfortable. It bothers him for sure and I feel rotten because I can't help him.

We're guessing he might have actually gotten bitten by a spider and may have been messing with the right side of his face in response to the pain/irritation and might have gotten his ear and hurt it, but of course we'll never know for sure. =/

Vibes the Baby P starts to feel better soon? Auggie's breeder suggested I take him to our regular vet on Monday but I'm not sure how that would help; plus I just spent $$$ at the e-vet and don't really want to dish out any unnecessary cash - and if I took him to the regular vet they would have to sedate him again ($$), and I don't want him sedated any more than he has to be... so I think I'll try to just get him an appointment next Saturday for a re-check like the vet recommended... I just don't know if it would help much to have our vet take another look at him so soon?

Many vibes would be appreciated. I hate being entirely unable to do anything to help him feel better.

ETA: Forgot to add, I haven't packed it in and gone home because a) I have Georgie here (who got her NAJ yesterday and her first NA leg as well) and b) he actually seems to benefit from the distraction of an intense agility run. =P he runs with as much joie de vivre as usual and doesn't seem in any distress while running. Poor guy, if only he could just run agility all day long. =P

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Poor guy... I hope he gets to feeling better.

It sucks when they are miserable and you can not do much to make it better :(

(((Vibes)))

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Poor P, hope he feels better soon. FWIW I would hold off and see if he improved on his own, rather than sedate him again/spend the money.

noludoru

Bored Now.
OH PAYTON.

Only you. Only you would freak out Beanie this much. I order you to stop this nonsense now. OR ELSE I'LL DRIVE TO ILLINOIS AND HUG YOU.

/srs threats

Vibes for Payton, though, seriously.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Oh my. Lots and lots of vibes for baby Payton from us. I hope everything gets better really fast.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Poor P, hope he feels better soon. FWIW I would hold off and see if he improved on his own, rather than sedate him again/spend the money.
I might call the vet tomorrow and ask their advice. I would like to avoid spending the cash of course, and putting him under blows, but I don't want to do so at the expense of his health obviously...

Thanks for the vibes guys. He did better last night and this morning has seemed much better. We're home now and he's out and was running around playing, and he's currently curled up on the floor napping instead of huddled in a crate looking miserable so I think he's doing MUCH better. He isn't really running around head shaking anymore either so I think he really feels better.
Poor guy HATES his antibiotics. =<

He had fun running jumpers this morning and he finally finally got the last NA leg he needed today to escape Novice and put us in Open, so I'm glad we stuck it out. The only problem now is to make sure Georgie stops jumping on him and chewing on his ears as she likes to do.

Members online

No members online now.