Baskerville muzzle questions

Maxy24

I'm thinking of buying Tucker a Baskerville Ultra muzzle. I've been getting him used to his cheap tan plastic one and despite cutting bits out of it I think getting treats into it in a real life situation will be difficult. So baskerville it is.

My first question is what size do you think I should get? He's a 15 pound dog, I don't have measurements as I won't see him again until March 15th. I wanted to order it before then because we are thinking of bringing him to the vet that week. But maybe we'll wait until May so I can get measurements.

What are some good places to get them? Preferably somewhere with a good return policy in case it doesn't fit.

I saw on the petco website they sell them, has anyone ever actually seen them in store? If I could buy it there that would make sizing easier.

My final question is, given the wide spaces it has, are you sure the baskerville would keep him from getting a piece of the vet?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
You really need measurements to get a correct fit - I have a client dog who by weight should have a muzzle smaller than the one she's getting because her dog has a long nose.

I've used a few different muzzles with my fosters (Ontario legislature requries muzzling in public) and I liked the Baskerville Ultra for practical purposes. It fit well, didn't rub, and was NOT going to come off easily, plus she could pant, drink, and be fed treats with it on. I didn't have a problem popping treats in, but you do have to poke the treat trough a hole.

All muzzles have the potential to fail (especially if not fitted correctly) but in my opinion your vet isn't going to get nipped unless they're poking their fingers in.

Take Tucker to a pet supply store to try one on if possible, that's the surest way to find a good fit. I got mine at Global. I'm not sure about their return policies if you order one online and it doesn't fit. I'd wait until you can see him and measure him and take him along with you to be fitted - the vet clinic he goes to will have their own muzzles that you can use.

Maxy24

I guess we'll just wait on the vet visit unless petco carries them. I don't want to use the vets muzzle because they don't allow panting which I think Tucker will really need to be doing.

Tazwell

All of the Petcos here carry them, I would try to go in store and fit one. But buy it on Amazon from entirely pets, it's a LOT cheaper, and when I got the wrong size and contacted them for a return, they were like "keep the old one, we'll send you a new one." Yes! I do have to warn you though, not all of my dealings with entirely pets had a great outcome. But Amazon helps with that.

But I really like fleetwood's Baskerville muzzle, best muzzle I've ever used on him. fits nicely, very sturdy, seems comfy vs. the plastic or wire ones. And he uses his a lot.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I guess we'll just wait on the vet visit unless petco carries them. I don't want to use the vets muzzle because they don't allow panting which I think Tucker will really need to be doing.
I've seen them in my Petco as well, so you should be able to get one there, or at least the sizing correct.

Donna Hill

The best bet is to take your dog to the many pet stores and try them on. Getting a proper fit is tough in person if you have anything other than the typical breeds that wear muzzles and almost impossible by using just measurements. That way, you won't have to return it if you know it fits from the start.

Good luck! :)

Donna, Jessie & Lucy
www.dogvideoindex.blogspot.com

Maxy24

Bumping this up because I've measured my dog. His snout length is 6.5cm (so around 2.5 inches) and his snout circumference is around 17.5cm (so a little less than 7 inches). So would I get him a size 2?

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I love them and have one for Bamm. The thing I like most about them is its fairly easy to feed your dog treats with them on which is what I needed for Bamm. The only two things I dislike about them are 1) I'm not a big fan of the strap material and would love to get a leather strap made for mine and 2) sizing Bamm was a pain in the neck and it still doesn't fit perfectly. I think his nose is too close to the basket part of the muzzle and I worry about his nose touching it and rubbing raw. I tried the next size up, but that was way too big. Might get him a greyhound basket muzzle at some point so he has a little more nose wiggle room, but still need to find a good greyhound muzzle that is easy to give treats through. I definitely suggest sizing them on in person instead of ordering anywhere online. The sizing made no sense to me so I chose the one that said it fits border collies and it ended up being the wrong size.

Maxy24

I don't think it would be responsible for me to bring him into a store like Petco though. Maybe a smaller one where it would be easy to avoid people and dogs, but he might be dangerous in petco. I'm going to bring his current muzzle along when I go though, since it fits him. I went today but they were all out of size 2 (and don't even sell size 1) so I'll have to try again another time.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
If you don't find a smaller store that carries it could you explain the situation to a petco manager and them bring a few out to your car for you to try out to see what fits properly before you purchase?

Maxy24

I went back to petco and they still didn't have size 2, so I think I'm going to have to order one online, I just have to decide between a size 1 and 2.

AgilityPup

Agility freak!
I just bought two for Simi because I wasn't sure on her size. I got mine on sale at this site: http://www.jefferspet.com/baskerville-ultra-muzzle/camid/PET/cp/0040409/ And I ordered two just cause they were such a good deal and cause I wasn't sure on sizes. I think I got a 3 and a 4. And I think that they're both a little off. Haven't used them on her since I bought them, actually because I HATE the strap that comes on them (they're REALLY hard to get through, I find) and because I just don't know which one to put on her.

But yeah, you could order from that site, if you wanted. Not sure if those are good prices for around where you live, but they were really good prices for me. I paid as much for ONE of the tan plastic basket muzzles as I did for my two baskervilles.

Maxy24

Thank you for that site, those prices are really good (though the "service charge" was sort of high). I just ordered a size 1, so we'll see how that fits. He doesn't really match the breed recommendations for that size but his measurements seem best for that. I looked up the measurements for his current muzzle and it's just smaller than the size 1 baskerville, so it should fit.

Maxy24

To update, I received the size 1 muzzle and it fits perfectly, I'm very happy with it. I love how many holes it has for adjustability, i just pull it to the right tightness and there's always a hole there. Feeding treats is super easy as expected and he should be able to pant without a problem. I'm getting him used to it and he's doing very well.

He's not thrilled but not too upset about it either. He tried to play with a toy though and got frustrated when he couldn't grab it so he humped it instead. That's my boy.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.