Alaskan Klee Kai

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Have been interested in (more like in love with) them for years! Anyone have any experience with them? Or any info they'd like to share? I've never met one, but but I've done some (very little, really) research and they seem awesome to me! Like a tiny Violet! (I've always want a perpetual husky puppy lol).

And soooooo cute! I'd post pictures, but I'm on my phone.

Dekka

Just try me..
Every one I have met is super cute. Every one of them has also had some behaviour issues. Even the breeder I met (she brought me some of her dogs for training) had issues with her dogs.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
That's a shame. What kind of behavior issues?

ETA: For the record, this is just purely curiosity. I'm pretty sure about the next dog/breed I'm getting. But I'd still love to know if the Klee Kai may be something I'd be interested in the future. Especially the mini/toy size. I really like the idea of a smaller spitz type, especially a mini husky look-a-like lol!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Only have experience with one and honestly, I thought it was some designer breed fad of mixing huskies with badly bred chis.
The dog was high strung loud and just..anxious and shaky.
Very cute and at first I thought "well, that dog is probably just a bad apple" but sadly, I've heard that kind of thing is pretty common in the breed.

I've heard separation anxiety is practically a breed trait.

Toller_08

I was sort of interested in them for a while. But it seems spooky temperaments run rampant in the breed. I gathered that many are very shy and quirky, and that pretty well deterred me. There were just too many stories of poor tempered Klee Kai compared to good ones.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I don't mind shyness or quirkyness, it's aggressive/snappy dogs that deter me. Any word of that in the breed? Of course Chi's are said to be snappy by many, and of course, that isn't the case generally with well bred/well socialized ones.

Of course separation anxiety is sad for the dog, but isn't something that would be a deal breaker for me, unless severe. Of course you can't know how they will grow to be, even taking precautions.

It's sad that they seem to have so many issues. Does anyone know anyone who has them? Are there decent breeders out there?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I haven't really done too much research but I happened across this breeder and they seem to be good
http://www.delmarkleekai.com/

My issue is.. Chihuahuas do get a bad rap but think of how IMMENSELY POPULAR chis are. That leaves so much room for bad breeders, bad health, iffy temperaments, bad owners.
Klee Klais are a such a rare breed that honestly, I would worry that there are this many bad apples in such a small batch you know?

Also, it is even stated in their breed standard
"The Alaskan Klee Kai is very curious, active, quick and agile. His loyalty and alertness make the Alaskan Klee Kai an excellent watchdog who may be territorial despite his small size. While affectionate with family members, the Alaskan Klee Kai is reserved and cautious with strangers and in unfamiliar situations."
I think honestly, that's where I was like..err.. because being nervous around strangers/odd situations is such a turn off to me. Yet, look at all the great stuff in there too :) I think if the breed suits you, you should go for it..

I also like this breeder
http://www.nornirkleekai.com/

CaliTerp07

There was one that used to come to my old dog park. It was skittish as heck, and would just hide between his owner's legs and quiver if someone tried to pet it. :(

Cute as all get out, but afraid of everything.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thank you for the links Fran!!! I'll check those out!

See, aloofness or ignoring strangers is something I actually prefer, but FEAR turning to AGRESSION is what scares me, and is something I'd be very leary about.

I love all the positives, and am not too put off by the negatives, but I'll have to do more research.

I just got through reading this:
http://www.toyhusky.com/faqs.htm

Of course, no idea how reliable the info is. I've never been great at that, lol. I'll check out the links you posted now, Fran.

Toller_08

Honestly, I think the problem with any breed that has "reserved" in their standard is that breeders tend to shrug off shyness as being reserved. I don't mind a dog that is reserved and cautious, but shy is a whole other level. And living with a shy dog, I can't imagine that anyone would knowingly seek that out. Reserved does not equal shy and should not ever. Dance is a shy dog, and she's my world, but if I had known how shy she was I never would have taken her. It hinders a lot of what I enjoy doing with my dogs and it's taken years to get her to the point where I can now take her most places without an issue.

My Dobermans are what I would call reserved. They're friendly and don't mind strangers petting them and will walk into new situations with no issue, but they're indifferent. They either don't care about things or they're cautiously but confidently curious. Unlike Dance whose first reaction is to flee and bark, and if not that, she just looks scared.

CaliTerp07

See, aloofness or ignoring strangers is something I actually prefer, but FEAR turning to AGRESSION is what scares me, and is something I'd be very leary about.
Aloofness, to me, is "I don't care about you, there are more interesting things here than you". The klee kai I knew wasn't that at all. He was completely alert to everyone around him, and went out of his way to avoid people coming within a 10 foot radius of him.

Red.Apricot

I think part of the problem with the terms is that some people view shyness, aloofness and reservedness as the same thing; I'd call Elsie reserved and a little suspicious. She's fine walking through a crowd of people, enjoys being out in public, doesn't mind strangers... as long as they're not trying to interact with her. People can come up and talk to me without her caring, but she doesn't (at all) enjoy being petted by strangers, and she will duck her head to avoid it. A lot of people call that shy, but it doesn't bother me or take away from my enjoyment of her. I wouldn't call her aloof, because she does watch people in public, and is curious about what they're doing--she would just strongly prefer not to be touched by strangers.

I can't help with the Klee Kai issue. I've never met one, but the pictures of them are pretty cute.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
When I said shy, reserved is more of what I meant. Like Red.Apricot said, I basically thought they were more or less the same thing. (I see what you mean however, Toller_08) I wouldn't say shyness would deter me, but for the sake of the DOG, I would feel bad if the dog was truly AFRAID every time someone was over. If that makes sense.

I really like that first breeder you posted, Fran. Looks to me like they do a lot to ensure the best of the breed is enhanced, while the not so good things are trained out/diminished by socialization.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Aloofness, to me, is "I don't care about you, there are more interesting things here than you". The klee kai I knew wasn't that at all. He was completely alert to everyone around him, and went out of his way to avoid people coming within a 10 foot radius of him.
I see what you mean. That def. makes sense. Sorry for the word confusion!

Maxy24

While making my breeder directory I looked through a lot of Alaskan Klee Kai breeders pages. Every single one that had any breed info talked about fearfulness in the breed or rather talk about them being very reserved/cautious with strangers and the need for a lot of socialization, which I take as very prone to fearfulness. I get that fear and being reserved are different things, but just something about the way the breeders talk about the trait strike me as fearfulness.

"Unlike Siberian Huskies, whom they closely resemble, Alaskan Klee Kai are typically standoffish and cautious around unfamiliar individuals, which causes them to excel as watchdogs. Because of their inherently reserved disposition in the presence of strangers, continual socialization throughout an Alaskan Klee Kai's life is highly encouraged"
- http://www.nordicminihuskys.com/
"While they are loving and affectionate with those they know, they are reserved with strangers and in strange situations. You must be willing to work with your dog in order to properly socialize him."
- http://www.cocalkleekai.com/Cocal_Klee_Kai/Home.html
"From my experience, the personalities of these little dogs is as varied as it is with people. The one thing that we've seen that is consistent is a reservation with strangers. Because of this, these little dogs can never have too much socialization."
- http://www.kenairidgekennels.com/index.html
"His loyalty and alertness make the Alaskan Klee Kai an excellent watchdog who may be territorial despite his small size. While affectionate with family members, the Alaskan Klee Kai is reserved and cautious with strangers and in unfamiliar situations."
- http://www.wowakk.com/index.htm
"one thing that it very important with the Alaskan Klee Kai is extensive socialization, especially during the early months of development. Though there are a number of very outgoing Alaskan Klee Kai out there, most of them would not have become such friendly dogs without socialization. However, many Alaskan Klee Kai tend to remain somewhat stand-offish towards people they are unfamiliar with regardless of socialization."
- http://www.nornirkleekai.com/
"The Alaskan Klee Kai is NOT as gregarious as other Husky breeds, they are by nature extremely loving to family and people they know well BUT also extremely reserved of strangers.
This is both a good and a not so good thing. An AKK will not likely go willingly with people they do not know really well. But also makes catching an escaped AKK much more difficult.
Their reserved nature means that AKK need to be intensely socialized as pups. Socialization should / must continue into early adulthood.
Socialized NOT only to people who come into your home, but to groomers, veterinarians, boarding kennel employees and people on the street.
As important, Alaskan Klee Kai need lots of socializing to and with other dogs and other animals."
- http://www.adorableakk.com/
"Alaskan Klee Kai, in general, have a tendency to shrink away from people they don't know but this tendency is even greater when it comes to strangers hovering or bending over them to pet them.
It is strongly recommended that one moves, kneels and gestures slowly towards the AKK, stretching out one’s hand palm side down and under the AKK’s chin."

"Alaskan Klee Kai are by nature quite territorial and will provide 'early alarm' by barking to warn owners of people and animals approaching their home. When behind a fence or inside the home the AKK's territorial and protective nature can make them somewhat "nippy"."

"They are by nature EXTREMELY reserved almost to the point of being EXTREMELY SHY around strangers and people they do not know well. On the good side, this is not a breed that will willingly be stolen away from you. On the negative side, in our world, dogs need to be social animals accepting of far more than immediate family and friends. Therefore, owners must
SERIOUSLY work to SOCIALIZE their AKK to not just tolerating “strangers†but to accepting strangers. And by strangers I mean everyone from their attending veterinarian to dog sitters to occasional house guests to people you and they will meet on the streets. And you and they will meet people on the streets….because AKK are true attention getters….everywhere you go people will come up and want to meet your dog."

"The socialization process is NOT a puppy only thing. You MUST continue socializing AKK throughout their maturity process. The Alaskan Klee Kai (even well socialized as a pup) will regress during their teenage months (between 8months and 2 or 3 years) to being once again very unsure about the attention of strangers (human or animal). Constant and continuous
work during this time will enable them to outgrow this natural stage of development and blossom into a wonderfully social animal."

"AKK do not like being overwhelmed by physical presence. They do not like hands reaching over their heads or being bent over. When you are introducing your AKK to strangers, either request the person kneel in front of the dog or pick your AKK up so that the stranger doesn’t give the appearance of “lording over†the AKK. During the introduction time, make sure you
are physically touching (controlling) your dog. Your AKK will take comfort and reassurance in your presence and just as important you will be able to read your dog’s reaction to the stranger."

"AKK do not like dealing with fast gestures from people they do not know well. Fast movement and motions make Alaskan Klee Kai somewhat unsure what to expect especially when they are young themselves. This may be one reason why some AKK (especially those not yet mentally mature) have a problem with children. Children are prone to moving quickly and suddenly and that includes reaching towards something and then snatching their hand away. When
introducing your AKK to people of all ages, remind them make their motions slowly and smoothly and to present their hand palm side down unless they are giving the dog a treat"
-http://www.adorableakk.com/

Many of the sites also talked about them being very good escape artists and being talkative. Many sites also say that they don't have a really consistent temperament yet, they're too new. I do have a decent sized list of breeders though, if you are still interested in them.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
The ones I've met (at AKC shows) haven't been shy, but they are NOISY and shaky and generally obnoxious. I actually finished a Klee Kai in UKC, and it was a nightmare. ;)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Thanks for all the info Maxy!!

I think I'd definitely have to meet some/talk to owners of them before truly considering adding one, but I'm very drawn to them and very intrigued by them. I wonder how many end up in rescue? Or become available as show retirees. Adopting a socialized adult doesn't sound like a bad idea. But they're so rare, I bet they'd be hard to find in rescue.

Again, I'm fairly sure of the breed of my next dog (Whippet), so it would be a while yet before I could seriously consider one for myself anyway. (Then again that would depend on how long I stay in my parents home. If I were to have another dog while living at home it would have to be a smaller dog).

LauraLeigh

Nothing of value to add except I have never seem one before in person, and just went looking at pictures!!! OMG! They are cuuuute!!!

I did meet a Shiba Inu at agility and she seemed like a VERY cool dog, that made me think ohhhhh mini husky!

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Nothing of value to add except I have never seem one before in person, and just went looking at pictures!!! OMG! They are cuuuute!!!

I did meet a Shiba Inu at agility and she seemed like a VERY cool dog, that made me think ohhhhh mini husky!
Aren't they??

Shibas are GORGEOUS and for a long time when I was younger I was hell bent on owning one someday, but as far as I can tell (never met any) they're far too independent for my tastes. The Klee Kais seem to really bond with their owner which is something I really appreciate. Violet is independent but she does love her people very much and is clingy indoors and in unfamiliar settings. I love that.

Members online