Substitute for Pork Ribs/bones?

antipunt1

Before anyone gets mad, *shameful look*, let's just say I just did my research and found out it's a bad idea to give your dog ribs or cooked bones...:hail: I am, of course, not very proud of the fact that Wanta has gotten a few bones (rib/pork) as rewards.

I'm not sure if it makes it any better that we always washed them thoroughly and put them in the freezer before giving them to her. We did this as a preservative-function, but never really thought that it might've decreased the risk of her getting injured.

But now we know the error of our ways; I was wondering if anyone could suggest a viable substitute? Wanta loves those bone rewards...was wondering what we were supposed to give her instead that replicated the rewarding-feeling of a pork rib.

Thanks =]

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Mine eat raw pork riblettes bones and all all the time. Cider's favourite raw food actually. Cooked is the issue at hand.

antipunt1

Ehh...quick 'check'. Putting those bones in the 'oven' still count as being cooked right? *hehheh..heh..he* (nervous laughter)

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Ehh...quick 'check'. Putting those bones in the 'oven' still count as being cooked right? *hehheh..heh..he* (nervous laughter)
Yes. Even de-frosting raw bones in a microwave is unsafe and could case the bones to lose moisture and splinter.

Cooked bones are very dry and brittle, and are rarely digested... usually they come out undigested or in painful splinters. Gonzo snuck a cooked pork rib several years ago, and I remember watching in horror as it came out the other end WHOLE! :eek: That cannot be comfortable.

Cooked bones are never safe, ever. Not even the bones that they sell in pet stores, not even sterilized bones. If you want to give Wanta a treat, give her completely raw pork ribs or (because it's easier on her stomach) chicken wings/back/neck. You can freeze raw for however long you need to. Just put it in the fridge or in lukewarm water to thaw.

Members online

No members online now.