What does it mean?

Louie

This is more of a behavior question. What does it mean when your dog nibbles on you? He's not biting, it like he's grooming me?? :confused:

He loves you, you're pack-mates. He's bonding with you and playing and treating you as he would littermates, a parent, or even an "uncle" or "aunt."

One question, though: What kind of dog is he? You may have some dominance "feelers" being put out. Make sure you groom him a little before he's allowed to groom you, by scratching him, doing things like checking his feet, ears, teeth, etc., and then again after he's groomed you. That helps to set you up as the dominant "dog." Brushing him is a good way to end the session. It also sets up good habits for later on, when he may not want to be still when you want - or need - to clean him up.

Just remember, dogs don't typically groom anyone they don't love and consider "family." Just try not to yelp too loud when he accidentally pinches! (g)

Louie

Renee750il said:
He loves you, you're pack-mates. He's bonding with you and playing and treating you as he would littermates, a parent, or even an "uncle" or "aunt."

One question, though: What kind of dog is he? You may have some dominance "feelers" being put out. Make sure you groom him a little before he's allowed to groom you, by scratching him, doing things like checking his feet, ears, teeth, etc., and then again after he's groomed you. That helps to set you up as the dominant "dog." Brushing him is a good way to end the session. It also sets up good habits for later on, when he may not want to be still when you want - or need - to clean him up.

Just remember, dogs don't typically groom anyone they don't love and consider "family." Just try not to yelp too loud when he accidentally pinches! (g)
Thank you for your reply. I thought he was grooming me, but I wanted to make sure. Rylie is a labrador. He always does his "grooming" when I'm petting him, scratching his ears, checking teeth...He always starts after me so I think we're ok. :)

Sounds like you and Rylie have an ideal relationship! Shiva likes to groom all of us when we're petting her, but she tends to pinch. At least she doesn't have those painful puppy teeth anymore.

Louie

Oooh!! Those puppy teeth are razor sharp! Actually, I saved some of Rylie's baby teeth. Have them in a little ziplock bag. They are so tiny!

Brattina88

My Maddie does this all the time. Her old trainer said that this is sort of a rare behaivior now days because dogs don't see people who are at work most of the day as a "pack mate, parent, aunt or uncle", but its good. Do you know if it is?

It's a real compliment and show of affection, just don't let your dog hold you down against your will, then it's become a dominance issue. Sometimes they get a little overzealous and pinch, but you know what the song says, "Love hurts."

Shiva pinches like crazy. She tends to go overboard with everything she does.

jeanine

Nibbs

This answer is just from observing my dogs. Two part answer. #1 if you observe your dog while they are grooming them selves, you might see them nibbing away which is a form of scratching that itch, also a form of grooming them selves. #2. I am the alpha female to my female bitch. She looks to me for her grooming but she only nibbs my husband and grown son. She licks my feet and arms but does not do this too them. I believe nibbs means in this case, is that they are a member of her pack mates.

Members online

No members online now.