How did you get your dog(s)?

gapeach

Big Mutts
Carey was found walking on the side of the road, by a carpenter James knows through work. His girlfriend had just gotten a puppy and he lived in an apartment, so she was destined to go to the pound if he couldn't find a home for her quick. Zeus, our doberman had just passed away a few months before. Although he had never been to our house (completely different story) we spent alot of time with him and missed him very much. James works late sometimes and we live out in the sticks, he figured that Carey would get pretty big and make a good guard and companion for me. So he decided to bring her home (without telling me) We were riding home in the car and I asked him if the puppy was still going to the pound. He just said no. We walked in the door and the baby gate was up acrossed the hallway to our room. I looked in and there she was. James asked me if I was mad, I told him she was too cute for me to be mad (like I would've been anyway!) She has been a wonderfully protective loving dog to our family. Several times our local Humane society has had foster dogs that look identical to Carey, I think someone's dog (Carey's mama) keeps having litters and they are just dumping them on the side of the road, or where :( ever. When we took Carey to the vet 2 weeks after we got her he said she was prob. about 6 weeks old, so that would of made her 4 weeks when they dumped her!

oriondw

user not active
I bought mine :)

I needed a big furry friend to protect my house and area around it. He does a marvelous job.

Probably unlike most guard dog's he sleeps inside with me :)

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Aw! I can't believe some people....how could anyone just dump a four week old puppy on the side of the road? I'm so glad Carey got a home with you!!

LOL Orion, my boys have decided that they are my guard dogs, and they are always inside with me. What kind is your guy? Are there any pictures of him on the web? I'd love to see him!

oriondw

user not active
Purr said:
Aw! I can't believe some people....how could anyone just dump a four week old puppy on the side of the road? I'm so glad Carey got a home with you!!

LOL Orion, my boys have decided that they are my guard dogs, and they are always inside with me. What kind is your guy? Are there any pictures of him on the web? I'd love to see him!

Caucasian Ovcharka.

I posted a pic in introduction forum, let me see if its still there :)

Here's a picture of him at around 9 months old

Orion, our "guard" dogs are housedogs too, lol! Filas want to be with their people; after all, they can't guard you if they aren't with you!

One of my clients told me about Bimmer. He knew I was looking for a dog. Bear had been gone for quite awhile and I'd thrown my dead-beat, cheating boyfriend out of the house, so it was past time for another German Shepherd. Someone had tossed Bimmer and his three siblings out at a farm near where the client lived. He'd seen a poster up at the local co-op and brought me the phone number.

I called as soon as I got the number and left a message, the woman called me back, but all the pups were gone. The biggest male (Bimmer) had only been gone a few hours. I was terribly disappointed, but I talked to the woman for about 20 minutes or so.

Six weeks later I got a telephone call. It was the woman I'd talked to about the pup! It seems the young mother who had taken Bimmer had been keeping him tied out during the day :mad: and someone had been driving by, throwing things at him and scaring him. He'd gotten loose and run off, finding his way back to the farm where he'd spent less than a week - over 2 miles away! The woman he came back to remembered talking to me and looked my number up on her phone bill and called me. I made arrangements to come and pick him up that weekend when I could borrow my Dad's van, since I didn't think it would be a great idea to bring a new puppy home in the 750 with those pale gray leather seats! As it turned out, my boss's wife decided to fire me that Friday (long story - she fired everyone who worked for him - I was the only one who ever lasted more than a year, a little over 8 years, actually) with no notice and no severance. I decided to just go by the pet store and get a harness and leash and a car seat pad for him and go get him that night. I ended up being invited and staying for dinner at the farm, then Bimmer and I came home. He curled right up on his pad and stretched his little head over the console to touch my leg for the entire 2 hour drive home. And this little pup who had never lived inside (he liked staying in the barn with the farm's big resident Australian Shepherd at night) and been chained to a tree didn't even have to be housetrained! Never once has he had an accident!

Shiva came from a farm about two and a half hours from us. They had a female Fila. One of their friends was so impressed with the Fila that she went to Brazil and bought a male that was a Champion show dog there. He stood stud to the female there and Shiva is from that litter. They kept a male out of the litter for themselves.

Kharma is from Defender Filas in Knoxville, and is directly from the same lines as our Buffy was.

Purr

~3 Mutts~
Aw! Poor Bimmer....chained to tree :mad: I'm sooo glad you got him!!! What the heck was that woman keeping him for if she only wanted to tie him to a tree? I've never been able to understand how those people think....Anyway, I'm glad that lady called you, or heck knows where Bimmer might've ended up....

Shiva's got some bloodlines....wow! That's so cool that Kharma is from the same blood lines as Buffy. Is she like Buffy at all?

Bulloxer01

Orion you got one heck of a dog, he his FANTASTIC protector since he is a guardian dog but its A MUST that hes properly trained or there could be an incedent

oriondw

user not active
Bulloxer01 said:
Orion you got one heck of a dog, he his FANTASTIC protector since he is a guardian dog but its A MUST that hes properly trained or there could be an incedent
:rolleyes:

Purr said:
Aw! Poor Bimmer....chained to tree :mad: I'm sooo glad you got him!!! What the heck was that woman keeping him for if she only wanted to tie him to a tree? I've never been able to understand how those people think....Anyway, I'm glad that lady called you, or heck knows where
Bimmer might've ended up....

Shiva's got some bloodlines....wow! That's so cool that Kharma is from the same blood lines as Buffy. Is she like Buffy at all?
Bimmer and I were just meant to be together.

I can definitely tell Kharma's related to Buffy, although she doesn't have the fire burning inside that Buffy had - the temperament is fairly hard, but not granite like Buffy's. I can really tell, though, when I see Kharma and Bimmer together. She wants to be touching him all the time. She'll paw at him and whine to get her face washed. Buffy was out of Calliope and Gamble; Kharma's mother, Cagney, was out of Calliope and another of Judy's males (can't remember right now which one - I need to look at the papers, lol). Kharma is the result of a breeding between Cagney and Gamble, so Kharma is Buffy's half-sister/niece - or something like that.

There are huge differences between Shiva the Show Dog and Kharma the Working Dog. It's really made me an anti-advocate of the AKC and other organizations that stress conformation and breeding down of temperament and working abilities to get a dog that's "prettier" and easier to handle. True Filas are not required to allow a judge to handle them when they're being shown. Our breed would become a sham if the AKC ever recognized it.

Members online