Pit Bull Pamphlet!

R

rottiegirl

southern_girl09 said:
That was one of the worst comments I have heard. Maybe you did bad research but Cocker Spaniels and Labs have bitten more people than pit bulls. Not to mention, "Pit Bull mixes" are usually Lab Mixes and lots of other breeds.
I am talking about fatalities, not simple dog bites. From what I read pit bulls or pit bull mixes killed more people than any other breed or mix.

pitbulliest

If someone abused me, neglected me, exploited me, and taught me to attack..I'd probably kill a few people too..

:rolleyes:

Stupid owners...punish the deed, not the breed!

R

rottiegirl

pitbulliest said:
If someone abused me, neglected me, exploited me, and taught me to attack..I'd probably kill a few people too..

:rolleyes:

Stupid owners...punish the deed, not the breed!
I agree 100%!

bubbatd

I know that you who own and have done well by your babies, love your pitties and mixed pitts. I personally felt ( and feel) I could never take one on, just because of some of the heartache stories. Unfortunately , here in Indy, the only ones I see are chained or being walked in the " Hood ". I saw one running loose the other day without a collar and in traffic. Normally, Grammy would stop and put the dog in her 4X4 ..... but she couldn't take the chance. It's sad.

R

rottiegirl

bubbatd said:
I know that you who own and have done well by your babies, love your pitties and mixed pitts. I personally felt ( and feel) I could never take one on, just because of some of the heartache stories. Unfortunately , here in Indy, the only ones I see are chained or being walked in the " Hood ". I saw one running loose the other day without a collar and in traffic. Normally, Grammy would stop and put the dog in her 4X4 ..... but she couldn't take the chance. It's sad.
Way too many irresponsible people own pit bulls. Gang members and drug dealers own them because they want to look macho. Sad but true.

Amstaffer

rottiegirl said:
I have done some research on fatal dog attacks. The united states humane society did their own research from 1979 to 1996 on the breeds who killed the most people. between that time frame 60 people were killed by pit bulls, 29 from rotties, 19 from GSD, 14 from huskies, 12 from alaskan malamutes, 8 from dobermans, 8 from chow chows, 6 from great danes, 4 from st. bernards, and 4 from akitas. The top mixed breed dog who killed the most people was the wolf hybrid fallowed by the pit bull mix's. As you can see, there is good reason why pit bulls have been banned. I have also read other documents and the pit bull is always number one. Due to bad breeders.
You stats are flawed....Here is why, First: There are WAY more Pit Bulls in Urban areas. (site of most fatal attacks) Because of the sheer number of them, of course they would account for more fatalities. Please don't quote AKC numbers, if you drive through the inner cities you will find Pit Bulls out number the next closest (Rotts) by at least 5 to 1 if not more.

Let me give you an example of what I am saying. If there are 1000 Pit Bulls in a city and 100 Chows in the same city you would assume that Pit Bulls should have 10times as many attacks right? To really find out how dangerous a dog is you must take its total number into consideration. Pit Bulls often account for far fewer attacks if you consider the attacks/population ratio.

Second: Another flaw is that many dogs are missed labeled as "Pitbulls". Over 20 breeds are often misidentified as Pit Bulls.

See link http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

Because some Labs are so stocky they have even mistaken Labs as Pit Bulls.
Who are the people who are calling the dog a Pit Bull? A Vet...No Breeder? No Hysterical Cat owner? Yep Reporter looking for Headlines? yep Over Worked Under informed Cop? Yep....You get the idea.

R

rottiegirl

Amstaffer said:
You stats are flawed....Here is why, First: There are WAY more Pit Bulls in Urban areas. (site of most fatal attacks) Because of the sheer number of them, of course they would account for more fatalities. Please don't quote AKC numbers, if you drive through the inner cities you will find Pit Bulls out number the next closest (Rotts) by at least 5 to 1 if not more.

Let me give you an example of what I am saying. If there are 1000 Pit Bulls in a city and 100 Chows in the same city you would assume that Pit Bulls should have 10times as many attacks right? To really find out how dangerous a dog is you must take its total number into consideration. Pit Bulls often account for far fewer attacks if you consider the attacks/population ratio.

Second: Another flaw is that many dogs are missed labeled as "Pitbulls". Over 20 breeds are often misidentified as Pit Bulls.

See link http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

Because some Labs are so stocky they have even mistaken Labs as Pit Bulls.
Who are the people who are calling the dog a Pit Bull? A Vet...No Breeder? No Hysterical Cat owner? Yep Reporter looking for Headlines? yep Over Worked Under informed Cop? Yep....You get the idea.
I am not talking about fatalities in a certain city. I am talking about fatalities in the whole U.S. Pit bulls are not even on the top ten list of the most popular breeds. I agree that pits can and are mistaken for other breeds and mixes. but I am sure that most dog owners know the breed of their own dogs.

Amstaffer

rottiegirl said:
I am not talking about fatalities in a certain city. I am talking about fatalities in the whole U.S. Pit bulls are not even on the top ten list of the most popular breeds. I agree that pits can and are mistaken for other breeds and mixes. but I am sure that most dog owners know the breed of their own dogs.
I used a city as an example. Stats can be very misleading if you take them out of context. Most dog caused deaths are in the city and Pit bulls are the number one breed in the city....its not even close. You can't just quote a simple stat like that without considering all the variables. In the city Pit bulls account for the most deaths because they are the most popular dog, therefore simple logic will tell you they should. I would bet they don't account for as many as their total population would mathmaticly imply. When you consider the total number of deaths by one breed you first must consider the following. Total number of Dogs (Breed "X") to total number of deaths cause by breed X. That will give you a ratio number. Then compare that to the Total number of Dogs (breed "Y") to total number of deaths cause by breed Y, that will give you another ratio number. Compare the to ratios to see which is actually more "Deadly".

Example: Chicago has 1000 pit bulls (actually they have a lot more) and the total human deaths by them is 10. (That is a very high ratio but it makes for easy math)1000/10 = 100. .01 would be an indicator that means nothing until you compare it to another breed. In that same fictional Chicago you could have 25 Chows that caused 4 deaths. 25/4= .16 If you look at the stats in this way (more correct way) you see the Pit Bull would be less dangerous.

You might say well there isn't that many more pitbulls, in the stats you mention it was 60 Pit bull to 8 chows deaths. I would bet the proverbial farm that the population ratios of the Pitbull to Chow is way higher than 60 to 8. I am not slamming chows here I am just using your stats.

In stats like you mention you must consider population ratios or your logic, theory and whole arguement is based on a sinking foundation.

Another thing to consider is the culture of an area where the most deaths take place. Most of the places where these death take place you have poor and uneducated people who value strength and aggression over compassion and empathy. In these areas you find that Pit Bulls have become popular since the drug explosion of the 80s. People in these areas (I live in one) are looking for a strong medium sized dog that they can use to defend themselves against the real threat from other humans. Training and good breeding are also foriegn ideas to this culture.

Culture of humans has way more to do with Dog/Human killings than the breed. Just like gun deaths. Why does the USA have more gun deaths than anyother industrialized country? Its in our culture.

If you go to Ireland you have the Irish Staffordshire Terrier that is very similar to the Amstaff/Pitbull in the USA in size and temperment. Because of the culture of the humans there you don't have fatal attack...or many attack period.

There is another poster here name BowBowee (sp?) that live in the Phillipenes (sp?) and they don't have the problems the US has why?

It is not the breed but several other variables...all of which are human.

pitbulliest

rottiegirl said:
I am talking about fatalities in the whole U.S. Pit bulls are not even on the top ten list of the most popular breeds. I agree that pits can and are mistaken for other breeds and mixes. but I am sure that most dog owners know the breed of their own dogs.
ERRrrrRRRTtTTTtt... WRONG!
Most dog owners have no CLUE what kind of dog they have...if you pick up a mutt from a shelter, its usually already misidentified to the point of patheticness...trust me, I work at the central humane society down here...gawd there is sooo much room for error its comical!

Second of all, stats are flawed..they always have been, they always will be...stats are absolutely pointless in terms of determining whether or not a particular breed is responsible for more attacks/fatalities/blah blah blah..why? Because WAY TOO MANY other aspects/facts/background information is dumped in the garbage, and misidentification is ever so present...

Third of all, you said that pits are not even on the top ten list of the most popular breeds in the states? Where are you getting that info from? ANd PLEASE for the love of the lord, do NOT say the UKC or the AKC...because those aren't even considered "stats"....do you even know how they collect their data? According to registered dogs..that's how...no wonder goldens and labs are considered the most popular breeds...

Do you expect thugs/gangsters/backyard breeders/other junk of society to register their dogs or for the UKC/AKC to have any record of them? Pffft..hell no...

Just look down the street and you won't have to look any further on which breed is the most popular, the most abused, the most neglected, the most exploited, and of course, the most publicized by the ever so wonderful media... :rolleyes:

D

Dobiegurl

I remember when I was about six years old my grandmother had a friend who bred APBTs and decided to get my one. My mom went crazy when we brought my puppy home saying that they were dangerous and crazy ans stuff. That was only because of the misconception of the pit bull. She turned out to be the sweetest dog EVER. I loved her so much. It's a shame what people do to their dogs to make them behave in such a negative, mean manner. I used to live in Detroit and there were alot of dog fighters. We used to live next to "thugs" who had pitts they fought. It was horrible what they did to their dogs. It's 100% the owners to turn their dogs out to be mean. I think some owners need to be banned from public not the breed.

DogLover4

Is it true that the pitbull ban in ontario will be fought on may 16 and pitbulls will probably be allowed in ontario again.

D

Dobiegurl

rottiegirl said:
I am talking about fatalities, not simple dog bites. From what I read pit bulls or pit bull mixes killed more people than any other breed or mix.
Well, Rotts aren't very far behind. Would it be fair to have BSL on them, too. I'm sure if they tried to ban Rotties you would fight for them. Some people love pit bulls and have the right to fight for their beloved breed/breeds. Just because Pit Bull attacks are more devestating does not make them more or less agressive than a dog that did not kill a person. It just makes them stronger and more determined which is what they were breed for. The human race created these such dogs and now when a few people get hurt they want to get rid of them. We, as the human race, need to step up and take responsibility for our actions. We created this dog and thats what happens, people get hurt, when you play with fire your gonna get burned. Now since people have realized that some of these dogs have the potential to seriously injure someone they want to throw away what they have created. There are no reprocussions for your actions anymore and thats whats wrong with the world today. You can get away with things and suffer no consequence. This is what we have created and we need to find ways to help these dogs instead of kicking them out. It's not their fault they were born a pit, most of them being wonderful dogs. People are so ignorant sometimes, it makes me sick.

I will always fight for the Pit Bulls.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
We have to look at Human Ignorance, not just the dog owners but people who whitnes atacks.

Can we be 100% sure that the person actually knows that it was a pit or pit mix and not some other breed? Thats why I dont take dog bite poll that seriously. It's relying too much on people who may be wrong.

D

Dobiegurl

JennSLK said:
We have to look at Human Ignorance, not just the dog owners but people who whitnes atacks.

Can we be 100% sure that the person actually knows that it was a pit or pit mix and not some other breed? Thats why I dont take dog bite poll that seriously. It's relying too much on people who may be wrong.

All those stats are rigged. People only see what they want to see and people have always had it in for the pitts. Any little thing involving the pitts in a negative way is braodcasted, on the cover page of newspapers to make the pitts look bad. But how many times have you seen "little girl attacked by a lab" on the front cover of the newspaper.

Do you guys remember that women who had her face mauled off by her dog and received the first face transplant ever? Guess what kind of dog she had? A labrador retriever!! But you wouldn't have known that unless you did a search for it. But if she happened to own a pitt you definately would have knew. The story of "A women almost mauled to death by her PITT BULL" would have definately been on the front page and they would put and emphasis on "PITT BULL" to make sure you saw it. The media plays games and only realeases what they want to not the whole truth.

Saje

Island dweller
Dobiegurl said:
But how many times have you seen "little girl attacked by a lab" on the front cover of the newspaper.
The reason for that most of the time is because a reporter asks someone what kind of dog it was and they say it was pitbull. Ever looked at how many 'pitbulls' there are in pounds? Apparently TONS. Anything with a bully looked is labeled pitbull. Reporters report what there sources say and if their sources say it was a pitbull that's what they report. Yes there are many forms of media that blow that out of proportion but that's how it gets started.

If I am writing a story about a horse at a rodeo and someone tells me it's a quarter horse well that's what I'm going to put in the paper. People need to stop using the media as a scapegoat. Yes it is a big problem and it can/should be handled differently in many, many situations but for the most part that's not where it gets started. Education is key.

AusCatDogs_4Ever

but please call me Aus.
NO breed of dog should be banned. Statistics mean nothing. The pit MAY have killed more people than other breeds but no wonder! Think of how these dogs are treated... A long time ago they were breed for dog fights, since it's now illegal responsible breeders have improved the breed a lot and they can be really sweet dogs. They are known to love people. But there are some bad people who are into drugs and want to fight dogs. They buy a pit, tie it on short heavy chains, tease them, FORCE them to fight... They breed these dogs and the aggressiveness is being passed on to the puppies and than those pups are breed and it goes on... THE OWNERS are ruining these dogs, they keep breeding bad traits into them and selling them to irresponsible owners. These dogs are not in good hands. That is why they end up biting someone. It is NOT the dogs fault, it is the stupid people who force them to be this way.

This could have happened to any breed of dog. Take a Lab for example, sure they are frinedly dogs but it you take one and tie it, beat it, tease it, force it to fight then that dog will end up biting someone too! Then you do the same to other Labs, breed the fighting traits in them and voila! You get a bunch of Lab attacks on people and the breed earns a bad rep..

I disagree 100% with breed bans.

AusCatDogs_4Ever

but please call me Aus.
Oh yeah... there is a lot of good info on the APBT here, I'm going to print some copies of that article on the first post, maybe it will help to educate others..:) Thanks for making this thread pitbulliest!

Amstaffer

Did you know that world wide, more people are killed by falling coconuts than pit bulls every year?

Did you know that more people are kill by horses every year than Pit Bulls?

Did you know that Bicycle accident kill more people than Pit Bulls every year?

There are ALOT of things in our world that are more dangerous than Pit Bulls. There are almost 300 million people in America and 60 people are killed by "pit bulls" (Pit Bull includes over 25 different breeds), that is statistically very very very very rare.

You literally have a much better chance of being killed by lighting than being killed by a Pit Bull.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I look at the way they are treated and think to my self. Yeah I would be p**'d off at the world too if I had a 20lb chain wraped around my neck and tied to a tree.

bubbatd

Tonight our news had two teenagers charged for having their pitts fight.... no it wasn't a pitt bull area... just 2 punks fighting their dogs !! Seems if it's not guns , it's poor dogs ! Luckily someone noticed the injuries of both dogs and reported it .

Members online

No members online now.