OMG!!! What should I do?

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
Hopefully by now everything has passed safely!

For future reference, I keep a stool softener type of medication in my dog first aid kit called "Surfact" (I hope you can still buy it, I just used the last of it on my Mom's GSD). It was recommended to me years ago by a vet when I was traveling and one of my dogs ate a huge chunk of blanket. He got all stopped up and sick while I was on the road and I was in the middle of nowhere calling my vet at home to see what to do. He recommended I get the Surfact and give some to him. I was in the middle of a bunch of little towns in northern Idaho, but when I got to Missoula, MT I found a drug store that carried it. And it worked wonderfully!

It doesn't just soften the stool, it kind of collects mucous around the foreign objects and helps them move through the intestines. Within a few hours, Dawson passed the first piece of blanket, and within the next day passed all the rest of it (he ate a LOT of it).

So Surfact - or something similar, maybe a mucilax type product - is always going to be in my dog first aid kit (along with Phazyme and pepto and aspirin).

Keep us updated on how he does! I've had dogs snag the occasional cooked chicken bone and they've never had a problem with it, even though I get MOST upset! I think it's relatively rare for a dog to get a perforated intestine.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

Doberluv

Thank you for asking. He seems to feel fine, bouncy, playful....all normal. He went poo poo this morning, but it was dark out so I couldn't examine it plus I hadn't had my coffee yet and there's all this snow out there. (yada, yada, yada) So, now it's light and I'll trudge out and see if I see anything. Hopefully it's been long enough to tell if he'll be OK.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and best wishes. That really helps.

Melanie. Thank you for the idea. That sounds like good stuff. It sounds familiar, like I've heard of it before. I'll check with the pharmacies around. They may be able to order it if they don't carry it. Hmmm....you were in north Idaho? Little towns? Could have been right around here. North Idaho isn't very wide. LOL. Glad it all turned out OK for your dog. They do the strangest thigns sometimes. LOL.

Doberluv

Thanks Redyre and everyone! He seems to be still doing fine so it must have passed by now, I would think. Couldn't tell. But he's out there now running around and wrestling with Toker. Oops...yelp at the door. That means this doorman needs to go let the chilly dogs back into the warm house. They go out for about 20 minutes and they want to come back in. In and out, in and out, just like kids. LOL.

Delisay

I live in the land of continual outdoor Summer barbeques (AU), so dogs ingest remains of cooked chicken all the time. I think it's one of those things which, because it can theoretically or very occasionally cause a problem, we come to worry inordinately that it will cause a problem ... but usually it won't.

Glad your pooch is OK!

Del.

bubbatd

Dober ...except with kids it was coats,boots, scarves ,mittens etc and when all were dressed , someone had to pee. ! Then out for 10 minutes and undo everything .

Doberluv

Thanks Delisay....yes, you're probably right about the occassional problem.

LOL. Grammy....I remember that all too well...little bundles and red cheeks, runny noses and in and out umpteen times a day. LOL.

Members online

No members online now.