make dehydrated snacks

how would I do this? I buy them in the store, but they are expensive. It would be so much easier if I did them myself. I have a food dehydrator. Is this safe to do on my own.

gale

I would think you'd just follow the directions for making jerky but not put any seasonings or marinade in it.

ACooper

I use my dehydrator to make treats for the dogs all the time :)

A favorite is turkey jerky, which is basically ground turkey with a dash or two of garlic powder (not garlic salt) I roll out the meat between two pieces of wax paper and then cut into strips (while still between the wax paper because turkey is too mushy)

I remove the top layer of paper and place on the dehydrator paper side up, then peel off the paper. Follow the directions on your own dehydrator for dehydrating times.

Other favorites include sliced sweet potatoes, and liver bits. With the liver bits, I boil a little first then chop them up. Sometimes I just toss in the oven instead of dehydrating.

When storing, I normally store in a plastic container with a loose lid. You can store in the fridge if it makes you feel safer :)

gale

Do you cook the sweet potatoes first and then dehydrate or do them raw? I wonder if that can be done in the oven. I do have a dehydrator but it takes up so much room.

ACooper

I don't cook the sweet potatoes first........I just slice and dehydrate. And yes, you can do it in the oven on VERY low heat for an extended baking time.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I make the dogs treats as well. I use beef, chicken, fruit... it all just goes right in the dehydrator, nothing added. The dogs don't complain. ;)

angie8023

I love my Sancho
I slice, boil, then dehydrate the sweet potatoes. Next time I am going to try not cooking them to see how they come out. You can bake them at a low temp but I found that it wastes a lot of energy.

gale

I might give it a try in the winter. It's not quite as bad warming up the whole kitchen then. If she likes it I'll have to dig out the dehydrator and try it.

Mayasmydobe

I'm PAWMAZING!
what about hot dogs... slice them thin and put them on a paper towel and microwave untill they are dehydrated... crunchy.

ACopper... is garlic salt bad for them?

gale

I don't think it's healthier but it's chewier (whether that's good or bad I don't know) and would last longer before spoiling.

Members online

No members online now.