Up and Jumping

maui

Hello!

I have a question about teaching our dog "Up!". My friend says this is bad because he will be encouraged to jump. I disagree... Here is the history.

Ranger was a jumper-greeter as a puppy. Through positive training we taught him to not jump when he greets by turning and walking away. We would give him goofy silly praise and loads of steak when he did not jump. We also would go outside and ask for help from all who came to the front door. Everyone was really happy to help. People said things like, "I don't have to knee him?" and then were happy to give cheese... point being...

He became so good at not jumping that the boy never learned "Off!" until recently. (He's 2, we adopted him at 3 months) I taught him "Off!" by teaching him "Up!" on the bosu ball. I noticed he was better and better at greetings because I could say, "Off!" while he was saying hello to a new person, and he wouldn't jump. Now he just jumps on a few choice people whom he really loves and hasn't seen for awhile. We're teaching them to say , "Off!" and "Sit!" Rathen than "OHohhoooohhhhhhh lhihiiiiiiiii swwweeeeetieees ppooooohhhh bear Weeeeeeee boooooyyyy!" Which is obviously "Jump!" in dog language. :D

After teaching him up on the bosu ball I taught him "Up!" by having him jump on my leg while I was kneeling. Because if he is an "On command" jumper... isn't that better because he knows when and when not to, just like when people teach "Speak?"

This is the controversy. I thought he would learn to jump more appropriately and it would be fun. She says he'll start jumping all the time and that it is a really big deal. (we love her anyway)

Thanks!
Maui :confused:

I also disagree with your friend. You've got it exactly right. When you teach commands like "up" and "speak", you're putting that behavior in the 'learned' catagory in your dog's mind. When he knows what it is he's doing, it's easier to tell him not to do it. The more things you teach your dog, the smarter she'll be! Teach her anything and everything! Your friend will be so jealous when you have an awesome trick dog and hers doesn't listen to a word she says! ;)

mrose_s

BusterLove
i have tought my dog to jump up and put his paws around your waist when you ask for a hug, its really quite cute, he jumps up a little bit to say hello, but its not bothering me so i let it slide

maui

Thank you Emma & Mrose! Now if we could only give the boy driving lessons.

:) -Maui

Members online

No members online now.