Fear of dogs (that aren't yours)?

Oko

Silence, peasants.
No, not really, I can't think of any dogs I've been afraid of. I've known certain ones were potentially 'dangerous', but not afraid of them, persay. I try to be respectful of a dog's personal space and only let it approach me if it feels like it, and I don't really pet other people's dogs a whole lot, I just admire them. That being said, I really love dogs, *all dogs*. Like, to the point where I'll be riding around in the car talking to someone, and stop mid-sentence when I spot a dog and be like 'LOOKATTHEPRETTYDOG' as if I have just seen a unicorn or something.

No fear ever, that I can think of. I am quietly afraid of Malamutes. I've had a lot of bad experiences with them, and even though I know it is irrational and they are giant fluffy babies that nervous feeling gets me every time.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I am not scared of dogs, but saying that I do have a moment of fear when strange un leashed dogs run up to me and Teagan when we are walking, but I mostly get on the defensive and get ready to scream at it or boot it in the face.

I am not going to lie, but when I am in a dog park and I see a bully dog running around I have a moment of distrust and leave right away.

But If I had a bad experience with a dog like getting attacked or bitten I am sure I would have a fear of strange dogs.

A few years back I was rammed into a wooden fence by a horse and it took me a while to get over my fear of strange horses, I am over that now though.

I am wary of black labs, I have been bitten by three so I'm not so much a fan. That said all three were owned by asshats, I accept that it was the three different owners faults, but man alive I am just a bit more uneasy around them. They don't keep me out of the dog park, I am just unlikely to pet them.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Ex: my agility class. I've been with these dogs a year now. I know them. Know they're stable dogs and know they have good owners. I think it was very very recently that I've petted all of them. Just not my thing so much. Somehow it feels like an intrusion to me --- makes no sense.
Maybe because that's how Mia feels when people are pushy and try to pet her? It seems like you're very, very in tune with her.

As to the OP, I'm fine with strange dogs for the most part - I'll ask to pet any friendly-looking dog. I've been around enough truly unstable dogs in the past that I'm not 100% trusting.

As far as loose dogs on walks, though. . . no. Not at all. I will fsck your dog up. I had to deal with a loose dog chasing Middie earlier this week, and a husky mix coming up to all three and inciting them to madness and barking last night. DO. NOT. WANT. If I am out and about, especially with my dog, your dog can stay away. If it doesn't, I will verbally correct and then physically correct if necessary. We have been attacked too many times on leash for me to assume that stray dogs are friendly.

OwnedByBCs

Will Creep For Sheep
I do get very protective over my dogs, so if there are other dogs around, I am always a little on edge if I don't know them.

When I'm alone? I am sort of like a little kid with dogs. I have to restrain myself from going "HI PUPPY! I LOVE YOU!". Of course I would never do that- I hate it when people do that to my dogs.. but that is how I feel. I feel that I can understand dog behavior enough to know when there is a risk of being bitten, but I have never been bitten by a dog so that is probably why I don't think about it much.

Especially if I see breeds I love... big fluffy dogs (Leonbergers, Newfies, Pyrs, etc) or some small dogs (pugs, paps, bostons, frenchies, poms) this is me.

I can't control myself.

SarahHound

I'm very rarely frightened of dogs, but I admit I am wary of GSD's and collies. GSD's just never seem to be well trained and bark and lunge towards me or my dogs, and it does make me wary as they aren't small! Sure most of them are friendly, but I just always make sure I'm on my guard with most of them.

Collies, because the majority are farm 'stock' living in pet homes. Under stimulated and they just can't react normally. There's only one collie I like and that's Freuchie who I look after sometimes, but even he is under stimulated.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
I dont find myself *afraid* of others dogs, per se, but I definitely dislike other peoples pets almost instantly, mostly with good reason, because theyre illmannered, overfed, underworked, untrained assholes. dogs AND cats. so I can definitely come off as not an animal lover, but I absolutely AM. Just not jerk animals! :rofl1:

Maxy24

No, not afraid, but I think people are always suprised with how little I interact with their dogs given how into dogs I am. I always offer a hand for sniffing and then let the dog dictate what happens next. If he wants lovin I'd be more than happy to give it, but most dogs don't want a complete stranger rubbing their hands all over them, so I don't. The dogs owner doesn't usually know anything about dog body language so they just assume I'm the one not interested in their dog.

I do have some nervousness because of how Tucker is. I am always very polite and respectful of any dog that isn't screaming ZOMG I love you!, kneeling sideways, not trying to pet, chatting calmly, no direct eye contact, that sort of thing. But honestly I think everyone should do that, it's called not being rude. I also find at the shelter when walking the dogs I just assume they are all dog reactive even though I have no reason to believe that. Last time I was there I was going to take a puppy outside and there was a family just outside the door. I immediately went to pick up the puppy before realizing it wasn't Tucker so wasn't going to bite anyone and greeting people was probably a good idea for the puppy, especially since he's up for adoption.

crazedACD

Oh, if we are talking about dogs around our dogs like on a walk...hell no. I don't want anything to do with that. My dog always ends up being snarked at. I WILL get on the defensive if it isn't a super happy looking dog. There's a jerk down the street that his dog has been loose a few times and it always trots up, snarks, and my dogs get halfway in a fight with it.

I'm also a fairly good judge of dog 'language' and pretty much subconsciously act accordingly. I do love to say hi to all the dogs.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Maybe because that's how Mia feels when people are pushy and try to pet her? It seems like you're very, very in tune with her.
I think that's probably part of it. Since getting her, I let the dog start any and all interaction. I won't go pet a dog but if a dog goes up to me, I will pet it.

But I think even before Mia I was not one to go up and pet all over someone else's dogs. I admire them, especially while they are working. I definitely squee all over them in my head (sometimes out loud if it's certain breeds).

It also might be the fact that most the time I run into dogs, I also have my dogs with me and my dogs are dog reactive.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I only fear or am wary of a dog if that dog gives me reason to be. I work at a boarding kennel and I volunteer for FOHA, so I spend my life interacting with dogs I barely know. Most dogs won't bite you. Most dogs don't want to bite you. I rarely ever get bitten, and when I have it was either a freak accident or the dog is unpredictable and wrong in the head. I was bitten at work two days ago, but that was because one dog was trying to fence fight with the other and my leg happened to be in the way, and I was redirected on. I have a nice bruise now.

Dogs approaching me offleash while I'm walking a dog? NO. Keep your dog the fsck away from mine.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Obviously we all love dogs (or we wouldn't spend so much time on the internet gushing over them and posting photographs). But I'm curious if anyone else has ever had a fear of dogs.

On a walk with my friend the other day we got charged by a very friendly, well-meaning lab cross. Intellectually, I could see that the dog didn't mean us any harm, but I could feel myself starting to panic. I yelled at it and it immediately turned and lolloped away, back to it's confused and slightly distressed owner. I apologized and explained that I am slightly afraid of dogs (to which he rolled his eyes and said something about that being my problem).

I was bitten badly as a small child by our neighbor's Corsos, but otherwise have always loved dogs...from a distance. Even with friends' dogs, I find myself extremely leery of all but a few. When I dog-sit, I don't touch unless approached, avoid eye-contact, and try my damndest not to get bitten. I jokingly tell people that I don't like dogs that don't like me. On walks or runs, even the sound of dog tags is sometimes enough to make me turn for home.

In all honesty, a few of my dad's hunting dogs used to frighten me, and even as a young adult I never entered the dog runs when others weren't home within earshot.

So the question I'm posing is: How do you feel around other dogs that aren't yours? When they surprise you? When you are relaxing together? What about after you've known them for a while? Is there a way that I can work on my (small) anxieties so that I don't offend everyone on Earth with a dog that really DOES "just want to say hi"?
I love corsos I would love to own one one day.

I fear no dog (I don't mean that in a confrontational or arrogant way ) I just love all dogs but I won't approach someone or their dog unless invited , I just mostly admire from a far.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I'm not afraid of dogs, but my husband on the other hand...

He's infamously bad with animals. Name an animal, and he's been bitten by it. He was bitten severely on the face as a child by a neighbour's Dobe (pierced his cheek, loads of stitches, dog was destroyed). Ever since then he's been very tense and uneasy around dogs -- though it didn't really dawn on him until recently that this was how his subconscious anxiety was manifesting itself. He tends to grit his teeth while patting dogs, he's too rough with them, and he tends to grab them in a way that dog savvy people would recognize as unsafe. One day it dawned on him that it was all tied to the attack when he was younger.

He figures it's why he prefers small dogs (Mega was his before we married). Their small size is less intimidating, and since they're more fragile it forces him to be more gentle.

He's still bad with Cohen. He grabs her a lot despite it being obvious she doesn't enjoy it, and he's often gritting his teeth when dealing with her. I've given upon trying to get him to relax around animals. It's no wonder animals bite him as often as they do. It's so frustrating.
I couldn't put up with that it would totally screw up Buddy & all the progress I have made with him & it would **** me off.

I would tell him if he can't handle the dog or interact with it my way then don't do it at all! Buddy has issues with men & is learning to trust men thanks to living with Mauricio & boarding with my parents (my dad is a harmless animal loving person but he is over 200lbs, has a beard & is almost 6ft 3 so is very intimidating to some animals) but I had a friend like that & I told him that if he couldn't interact with my dogs my way the best thing he could do is ignore them if they came up to him, soon the dogs, who got nothing from him soon left him alone.

Brattina88

I don't have a fear of dogs, even dogs that are behaving dangerously, its almost an unnatural-not-fear :eek:
But I think dog behavior is very predictable (much unlike humans), and I find that comforting.

BUT I do have a fear of other dogs around my dogs who I don't know, if they look DA

Catsi

Generally no, I am not fearful of dogs. I am certainly fearful of some situations involving Abby and offlead dogs (well, wary is probably the better description).

I think having Abby has made me less inclined to interact with dogs, simply because I am aware of what it's like to have a dog that is socially uneasy. There are occasions, of course, that dogs are so obviously friendly and I'm on my own, so I'll strike up a conversation with the owners and usually say hi to the dog as well.

My personal weakness are the oldies. Sweet, grey faces just make me melt.

If there is a loose dog and I'm by myself, I have no problem interacting with them if I have to (I've reunited a few dogs with their owners) but I'm not getting involved if I have my own with me.

JacksonsMom

Typically, no, I'm not fearful of dogs. I am however cautious when it comes to dogs meeting MY dog. I can typically read dog body language pretty well, so I know when to leave, or not allow my dog to greet another, etc.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
When it's just me I'm not fearful unless the dog really gives me a reason to be, and even then it's more caution. I've really only been very wary of a couple of dogs--one was my former landlord's mixed breed and the other was my friend's mom's wolf hybrid. Both dogs had fear aggression, but were really weird and unpredictable about it.

I'm more cautious when I'm with my dogs. Sally is reactive and while Jack is friendly, he would get his butt kicked by an aggressive dog. Last week I had one of the birds at the vet and was in the waiting room with him in the carrier, when another client came out with her dog. This dog was taking an unsettling interest in Solo, and showing some rather predatory body language. Fortunately the owner noticed was on top of it.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Yeah I think that's me too I am more wary of dogs when I have my dogs because of them & I am worried for their safety, not mine, I can defend myself if by myself but when I see an off leash dog & I have my dogs I am immediately vigilant

Members online

No members online now.