Fair Fish!

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
We won three goldfish(?) at the NC state fair today and lost one to possible new tank syndrome or bag living, we're not sure which.

These are the survivors as they wait overnight in an old betta bowl for their 10 gal to cycle.

Their names are Harper and Selena from Wizards of Waverly Place. Since I hate the name Alex for girls though (Long story) we named one after the actress that plays Alex (Selena Gomez)

Anyways, here they are!!

(Excuse the crappy phone photo)

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
From Keeping Goldfish - Rate My Fish Tank

* Goldfish, if properly taken care of, can live a long time. The average lifespan of pet goldfish is 15 years. They'll live 25 years on their own in the wild. There's even a record for a pet goldfish that lived for 43 years!
* Goldfish require a lot of upkeep. You'll need to feed them a couple of times a week and change their water frequently (more of this later, but we're talking 2-4 times a month here).
* Goldfish can be expensive to keep. Cheap feeder goldfish don't cost much, but any other kind of goldfish can set you back anywhere from $5 to $50 a fish. Besides that you'll need to consider your one time start up costs of getting a good sized tank and tank supplies. Count on reoccurring expenses for food and replacing equipment.

* Consider how much living space you have. This will correlate to your tank size. Goldfish, a cool water fish, grow much larger than many tropical fish you'd see in tanks.
* Make sure you buy one that is big enough for how many goldfish you're going to get. Look at the guidelines in the section, “Getting Your Goldfish” below.
* All things being equal, getting a larger tank will make it easier for you to keep your goldfish healthy. Why? Because larger tanks have larger volumes of water than small tanks. Having more water allows things to take longer before affecting your goldfish. What this means is it gives you "training wheels" so to speak. If you kept your goldfish in a smaller tank, they'll react sooner to any imbalances in the water. Because goldfish are cool water fish, they need more oxygen in the water than other kinds of fish. A larger tank will have more room for you to put in apparatus to bubble the surface. Also, you'll need room for enough filtering since goldfish are such messy eaters.
* Get a tank that is longer over one that is taller. The longer tank will give your tank a higher oxygen to water ratio which is good for goldfish. The larger surface area of the water will allow for better gas exchange between the air and the water. This will help remove more toxic elements from the water.

* Besides the tank, you’ll need some accessories – light, hood, net, test kits, filtrations, and cleaning equipment (both covered later in the Keeping Your Tank Clean section).
* Getting the tank's bottom ready. Most hobbyists recommend larger sized gravel or river rocks for the bottom or none at all. This is because your goldfish like to forage for food on the bottom and they can choke on smaller sized gravel. Make sure the gravel is smooth because goldfish will suck the gravel into their mouths and then spit them out. They could injure themselves if the gravel has any sharp edges.
* You do not need a heater for your goldfish tank as long as you can keep it at above 60 degrees Fahrenheit. That might seem cold to you but remember, goldfish are not tropical fish. The best temperature range for your goldfish is between 65 and 68 degrees Fahrenheit. You probably don't need to worry about them being too cold unless you're keeping them separate from your living areas (like in a garage or basement).
* A light for the tank makes it easier to see your fish. You can also see the tank's condition better as well.
* You can get either incandescent or florescent lighting. Incandescent lighting is cheaper, but it burns hotter, won't last as long, and uses more electricity. Florescent lighting is probably better for your goldfish tank as it won't warm the water as much.
* Use your aquarium size to figure out how much wattage you need to light the tank. The general rule of thumb is you should have 2 to 2.5 watts per gallon of water for your goldfish tank. As long as you don’t see an increase in algae bloom or the tank temperature, you can go up to 10 watts per gallon of water.
* Light timer. This is a must because goldfish need their light regulated. Unless you are very consistent about turning their light on and off so that they'll get about 10 hours of bright light during the day, go ahead and get a timer for the lights. This will also help for when you go out of town.
* A hood for your tank is a good idea because it will prevent your goldfish from jumping out and it will also shade their eyes from any sudden light switching on them (they don't have any eyelids so this can be stressful on them).
* Make sure you have a strong, stable base for your aquarium. Water weighs roughly 8.4 pounds a gallon. If you buy a 20 gallon tank, that would be 168 pounds. If you can't imagine yourself standing on that shelf for very long, you probably need something stronger.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
sounds like 10 gallons may not do!

All About Aquarium Fish: Tank Size for Goldfish
he size of your goldfish tank will depend on area availability and the number of fish that you intend to keep. Goldfish is one of the aquarium fish species that requires large tank size for it to grow well and stays healthy. Main reason for needing large volume of water is because more water will mean heavy waste generated from your goldfish especially ammonia will be diluted to lower concentration and thus less likely to cause any harm. This will also help to prevent spread of aquarium fish disease especially dropsy and swim bladder or flipover condition.

A general rule of thumb before you buy your goldfish tank is to first determine number of fish that you intend to keep in your aquarium. A normal practice based on my own experience is that you will need,

3 gallons of water for every inch (2.5cm) of goldfish length

That means, if you have 4 goldfish with each measuring 3 inches in length, you would require at least 36 gallon fish tank size to accommodate all your pets. However, bear in mind that common goldfish can grow up to 8-10 inches in length and thus your aquarium should be sized accordingly to cater for your pet’s maximum growth. Common mistake made by aquarium owners is to buy smaller tanks when they think that this is more than enough for the younger fry but later found out that, the fish tank size is in fact not big enough after all.

Having the right aquarium size is very important because without much room, this will mean that your goldfish will not be able to reach maximum growth size and will become stunted. This will also lead to development of not proportionately equal fin size.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
I had a big post about how I don't need to buy a giant tank for two fish from the fair but it was less than pleasant when all you were doing was trying to help. Soooo, in favor of peaceful posting, I'm going to just say that this post was to show people my new pets, not to get husbandry advice.

I have a goldfish from the fair a year ago. I had a goldfish when I was little from the fair that lived about 5 years with me. He even came with me to my grandmas when I stayed there for 2 weeks :)

I went out and bought a whole tank when my sister in law won me this goldfish, and then got him some friends :)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
YAY FISHIES! lol congrats on winning them, so sorry about the one you lost

I won a fish at the fair once.. didnt even last the til the end of the ride home lol so i gave up on them

and yes, 10 gallons is plenty for 2 fair fish lol i mean cmon.. they were living in a BAG lol

I love the names, I watch wizards of waverly place 2.

they look a lot cooler than regular goldfish, they look sort of like little sharks, very cool!

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
I agree whole heartedly with dogsarebetter. Those babies you bought will eventually outgrow that ten gallon tank. Eventually, you'll want about ten gallons per fish, so if you really want to save money in the long run, just get a twenty gallon if you have two, a thirty if you have three...

You will be SHOCKED at how fast they outgrow a ten gallon. I bet it won't take 6 months. The comets like you bought grow very very quickly and get larger then my fancy goldfish.

Goldfish also need very heavy filtration because they are much dirtier as fish go then say the tropical fish like guppies and what not.

You'll want to watch out for high ammonia levels, because goldfish produce more of that then most other fish.

They will eat all live plants in your tank, so if you do want live plants go with swords. The petstore will know that those are.

Good luck with your tank. As a goldfish lover, it's hard to see people put goldies in small tanks and then think it's "fine." I used to be one of those people until another forum that loves gold fish like people here love dogs set me straight. :)

A

Angel Chicken

We talked some last night already, but I told ya... those prolly aren't goldfish. I haven't pinpointed what yet-- mind if I show a buddy your pic?

Filtration can be compensated for with frequent water changes. No need to go extra heavy for 'em. I was told for years the 20+ fish I have (had, sold some), were way too many in my 55 gallon, yet I have a 6" long cichlid in there, and he's about... 4 years old now. The other fish are 2-3 years. I change my water weekly, or bi-weekly when the ammonia rises.

Xandra

Whatever. Those little fishies should be thanking their lucky stars that they aren't live food for cichlids or being swallowed alive by someone for kicks, or that they didn't suffocate due to lack of oxygen in their little bags. Really they're cruising in the top 10% of cheap-goldfishdom.

If Izzy feels the fish are getting too big or she doesn't want them anymore most people with a pond will take a couple of larger goldfish.

Sheesh.

Congrats on the fish by the way lol ;)

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
I wouldn't worry about 2 small gold fish in a 10 gallon tank, at least not for awhile. The greenish gold one will probably turn gold in the long run, those kind start out greenish silver and turn gold over time - at least most of them, some stay green.

I used to buy feeder fish by the ton at the pet store and dump them in our stock tank. I figured that even if it wasn't "ideal" conditions (considering horses drank out of it and whatnot) it was much better than being Oscar food. This tank was fed by a windmill, so it's a large tank (4 ft tall by 60 ft wide) and within a couple of years I had some HUGE fish in there.

I had like 6 good sized gold fish (4 fan tails and 2 black moors) in a 30 gallon tank, along with a couple of sucker fish. I had a large filter on it and cleaned it weekly and they all did quite well.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
I'm going to stick with my earlier post saying I won't comment on husbandry of these little fish. Which, I won btw, didn't buy them as someone mentioned before.

Ace: Go ahead and show the picture, I don't mind in the least. I doubt someone is going to stalk me via fish photo lol. Someone (Sam?) Mentioned comets, could that be it?

It would be awesome if Harper ended up gold, I saw a few gold ones at the fair and they were very pretty. The green-gold is neat though, reminds me of a dragon or something. We might be getting a suckerfish to help the filter out a bit since two fish seem rather lonely as it is.

When I finish getting decorations for the tank put in, I'll get another picture of the fish!

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
I like the greenish one best. I bet he will end up turning gold. As they grow, you'll have a better idea of what they are. :)

I bought three fish...I was pretty sure all were orandas until they started growing. Now, I think I've got some type of mutant goldfish LOL

I bet yours will be really pretty as they grow. Please post pics often. I need more goldfish pictures in my life. :)

KenyiGirl

Navy Sister
Yay, goldfish! Congrats on your little prizes! :D I won a goldfish at the fair when i was a kid, that thing lived for 8 years in a one-gallon tank :eek: As far as tank-sizes go, I think these fishies are gonna be ok ;)

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Well as an update, the orange one (Selena) didn't make it either. Don't know why, wasn't the tank since Harper is doing just dandy in there. I'll post picture of Harper when I get home from my parents' house this weekend.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
10 gals will be more than enough for them for about 6 months or so, but expect to upgrade eventually.

rule of thumb for comets, shubbies and other "torpedo" shaped goldfish is 10 gals for the 1st and 5 gals per golide after, those guys will easily get to 12 inches in their first 24 months!
you will need filtration however, goldfish are incredibly MESSY high output fish, for a 10 gallon tank id put a filter for a 20-30 gallon tank.

weve just brought the pond fish in for the winter, there cramped in a 75 gallon BUT ive got 4x filtration on the tank, which means whiel theyll be a little squished they wont poisen themselves which is oe of the biggest concerns with goldfish of any kind.

a 10 gal shoudl do you for a while, if you can afford bigger go for it, get a good filter on the tank and when they outgrow the tank you can either upsize your tank or put them in a pond :)

im sory selina didnt make it, unfortunatly its VERY common in fair fish, they generally buy their fish from fishy mills, (they use the same fish as the petstores sell for feeders), then they end up living in less than good conditions for however long. feeders tend to be weakend immunity anyway, combined with the stress of being baged and used as prizes, then the stress of a new home, its often too much for their little bodies.

the good news is, those that do survive the first few weeks are extreemly hardy, long lived and will grow into big flashy adults! :)

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Well, Harper (The surviving fish) is doing well, has the whole 10 gallons to her self! The water is starting to cloud *sigh* In just over a week no less. She does have a filter but I guess I'll have to do partial water changes at least once a week or get a larger filtration system.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
the cloudyness is the tank cycling, this is perfectly normal. do 1 gallon water changes about 3 times a week to keep the amonia from getting to dangerous levels.
the cloudyness should start to dissipate within the next couple of weeks...

Members online

No members online now.