Ear/Tail preference?

My father who lives in France,has a one yr old,airedale!.His breeder is old fashioned and cropped her litter anyway so none of the pups will ever be shown!.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Lucky with pyr sheps though you see both completely natural or cropped and docked. Cute either way, imo.

elegy

overdogged
i despise cropped pit bulls. i think it makes their head look all disproportionate. give me natural ears a hundred times over cropped ears.

i do prefer the look of cropped ears on dobes and briards. those are the only ones that come to mind. though i don't agree with cropping and would never choose to do it.

and i like full tails on poodles, especially standards. other breeds i don't have so much of an opinion.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
when i was younger. i thought that all you had to do was have a female and a male dog whose tails were docked, and the babies would all have naturally docked tails lol

lizzybeth727

Generally speaking I like natural ears better, but there are only a few breeds I feel strongly that way about - danes, schnauzers, pitties, I think that's all.

As far as tails, I do definately prefer longer docks - like terriers - if you have to do them at all. I just think tails are so important for dogs' balance and communication, it's a shame for them to go without one at all.

That said, my favorite breeds are those with naturally prick ears and long, non curly tails.

BostonBanker

I'm going with the minority here (possibly standing by myself). Although I can't think of a single breed I like better with cropped ears, the crop I dislike the MOST is the doberman. I think it is because they make the crop so long - it just looks wrong. Such long, narrow ears don't look like they would ever stand up on their own. It just looks unbelievablely fake to me. Cropped pits come in a close second - the breed has the most adorable ears of any breed; why in the world would you remove them?

Although I generally like the full tails better, docked tails don't bother me visually as much as cropped ears. Now that I own a docked dog (not my choice, she came that way), I'm aware of just how much they are able to express themselves even with just a nubbin. I do wish she had her natural tail, but it certainly doesn't hinder her in any way.

bubbatd

Of all breeds I'd rather see Pitties natural . I really don't like what I think is called a rose ear . I believe it started with Pit fighting which I hate !!!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Rose ears are natural Grammy. English Bulldogs have them, as well as a few other Terrier breeds, along with Greyhounds, Whippets, IG's and assorted others. It's just a different way the ear folds.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Of all breeds I'd rather see Pitties natural . I really don't like what I think is called a rose ear . I believe it started with Pit fighting which I hate !!!
Rose ear is actually a natural ear, and is what is preferred for showing.
It's the same type of natural ear that English Bulldogs have.

Here's some info on it.
http://www.apbtconformation.com/NEECF.htm
The top two dogs have rose ears.

I didn't even see the post above me, but oh well! My fault. Hehe.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i think docking can look great on some breeds if done right (and since its done SOOOO early in life...)
but i dislike cropping imensly.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
I like the look of most docked breeds (by most i mean i cant think of any that i dont like at the moment). I love my dogs docked tail, and prefer the look of docked poodles.

As for crops, i dont like the look of a boxer or dane cropped. Almost all others i like though (esp. the doberman). I hate to say it, but i do like the look of a cropped pits ears (although the full ear ones are very adoreable too). For the most part, i again like the traditional d/c look of the breeds.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Boxers look AMAZING totally natural.

Docking and cropping is banned here, so I'm used to it anyway. Well, docking is recent, loving the look so far, so good.

S

Squishy22

I believe half pricked ears are preferred over rose in the pittie (both are natural). I vaguely remember reading that in the standard but I'm not 100% positive. I like the look of a show crop on pitties. Anything shorter than that looks hideous and hacked. I HATE seeing that. And the reason why a lot of people get them done is to make their dog look more intimidating which I dont agree with when it comes to pit bulls.

Toller_08

I prefer cropped/docked Dobermans and cropped Danes. I like both of those breeds with tails and floppy ears as well, but I like them cropped a little bit more. On Rottweilers, I like them both about equally. I used to think tailed Rotties were silly looking, but there's lots around now, so I'm used to it and like it now. Boxers, natural most definitely! I love the look of a Boxer with a tail and floppy ears. Uncropped APBTs are my preference as well. I like docked Aussies, and docked Cockers better. In fact, I don't care for a tailed Cocker or Aussie much at all for some reason.

All of that said, I never want to go through the whole taping/posting process again, so I'll hopefully just have natural dogs from here on in if I ever have another Doberman (or another traditionally cropped breed).

Last edited:
Ears cropped or tails docked, doesn't really matter to me. Except for doberman, I honestly don't think I could imagine a dobe with a tail. Just doesn't seem right to me.

Wait. Just googled a dobe with a tail. Looks okay lol.

S

Squishy22

Just for fun. A few pics. Now, finding a pic of a natural doberman proved too difficult!!

Natural Boxer...

Natural rottie...

Natural presa (couldn't find hardly any pics)...

Natural schnauzer...

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I prefer docked tails on most breeds who's tails are traditionally docked.

I prefer natural ears on: Boxers, Pitties, Danes, Schnauzers.

I prefer cropped ears on: Dobes.

S

Squishy22

APBT ears for people who don't know....

Half pricked ears (so freaking cute).

Rose ears.

Show crop (the kind I like)

Battle crop (the kind I do NOT like)

Gypsydals

I prefer a dog to look like the breed it is...and adhere to it's standard...and the spirit of those come before that wrote it.

If I had a problem with the way a breed looked or the way the look was achieved I'd pick another breed that fit my personal preferences, better.
I agree with Hounded. Which is why I probably will never own a dobe, not that I don't like the cropped look ( I prefer it) but its lot of work.

Members online

No members online now.