So raw flopped

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Lol. I got this look from Summer that was along the lines of 'what the hell do I do with this thing?' She licked it a bit then wanted no more of it. *sigh*

Dekka

Just try me..
Kaiden looked at me like that for months. Now he LOVES it. MP's Cider took 2 years to get into it, now its the bestest thing ever in her books.

Change can be difficult :D

R

RedyreRottweilers

You need a hungry dog.

It helps to start with ground first with a dog who has not experienced the joy of eating real meat and bones.

SOme dogs need it seared quickly on each side in a hot pan to start with. Start slow, with ground meats.

Also many dogs hate cold food, so letting whole meats come to room temp, mixing ground meats with hot water, hot eggs, hot oatmeal or rice, etc, just before serving can help.

:D

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It was room temperature. She LIKED the way it tasted. She just didn't want to pull it off the bone. lol If I picked pieces off the bone, she'd gobble them up no problem. The reason I was trying a raw meal or two a week was so she'd have some bone to chew and hopefully help her teeth a bit. But if she's not wanting to chew the bone herself, then I guess I need to find a new way to try to keep her teeth clean.

Dekka

Just try me..
It was room temperature. She LIKED the way it tasted. She just didn't want to pull it off the bone. lol If I picked pieces off the bone, she'd gobble them up no problem. The reason I was trying a raw meal or two a week was so she'd have some bone to chew and hopefully help her teeth a bit. But if she's not wanting to chew the bone herself, then I guess I need to find a new way to try to keep her teeth clean.
or you need to keep trying :D That sounds just like what Cider was like. Don't give up so easily. It takes some dogs a while to get the idea you have to chew to get the food off. Its so different than kibble in a bowl that doesn't take any effort or really any chewing. (even if it sounds like its well chewed its not)

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Gonzo is a SUPER picky dog. I started him on pre-made Raw (Steve's Real Food... it comes in tiny little cubes), and after a couple of weeks of that he dove right into raw meaty bones.

Are you using chicken? It could help to start with game hen, since the bones are much smaller. You could sear each side very, very lightly, and it usually helps if you hold it at first, and encourage her to "get it". It could take a while for her to develop a "taste" for raw, after never experiencing it. Gonzo was like that. I started Fozzie when he was 9 weeks, though, and he could not have been more gungho about it! ; )

Dekka

Just try me..
~Mafia~

That very much sounds like Cider. Cider would eat raw ground meat, and if you cut up anything into bite sized pieces it was a go. I wasn't willing to do that daily though. We tried searing for a while, I weaned her onto unseared riblette strips. Anything else I tried searing was a flop. She'd lick it, play with it, cry about it, and then not eat it.

I tried waiting her out giving back the same piece of meat meal after meal (throwing it in a ziploc in the fridge in between) and could get her to eat..

Being at Dekka's the choice has been the raw piece offered or hunger. She's finally on the program and is excited about dinner.. and everything has taken some serious chewing.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Yep, just keep trying. My dogs get marrow bones, which obviously is not a raw meal, but Lucy would lick it, and not really know what do do with it. Just waiting and giving her oppurtunities to do what she wanted with it led to her now eating and chewing thoroughly. She loooves them.

S

Squishy22

I showed reggin some raw chicken skin. Small enough for him to eat and he avoided the thing completely. He didnt like the smell of it and kept turning his head away. No attempt at any liking.

My chihuahua, on the other hand, attacked that piece of skin like you wouldn't believe. Downed it like she had been starving for weeks.

Members online

No members online now.