Poop eating dog

CaptDuf

I have 2 female beagles and one continuously, and on occasion is successful at eating the others poop.

Why?

Any way to stop it?

Any help/advice is welcomed.

Thanks...

The best help to curb poop eaters is to keep the stool as cleaned up as possible. I will always joke with people and tell them to teach their dog to poop in a shovel!
There is a product available through your veterinarian called "For-Bid". It is an additive for the dog's food that supposedly will make the stool less desirable for them (as if it already isn't!).
Some people have success with mixing meat tenderizer like Adolf's into the dog's food each meal. It is supposed to have the same effect as For-Bid.
Accompany your dog outside each and every time, and teach and use a command such as "Leave It!" to get him to avoid stool.
Your neighbors will wonder what you are doing with this one: go outside and sprinkle an ample quantity of Tabasco-type sauce on each and every stool. The sauce has to be very hot, because some dogs enjoy the more mild hot sauces.
Spray a bitter apple, bitter orange or similar deterrent on each stool.
For dogs who will turn around and eat their own stool as soon as they are finished, or for those who eat others' stool as they are pooping, the best way unfortunately is to have your dog on leash and use the "leave it" command.

I noticed that a lot of puppies at pet stores eat their own waste... Do they enjoy this or what? Does it taste good to them? Just curious...

Sometimes this is a symptom of a dietary need and can be avoided by adopting a feed with a high nutritional value.

And sometimes it's just one of those incomprehensible dog-things.

My Pit mix had to be on vitamins continuously, or he would, ummm, "snack". He used to gobble up my other dog's mess all the time as a puppy, and we tried the "Forbid" and the Adolph's meat tenderizer, and it made him eat both my other dog's mess! Well, he LIKED bitter apple, so who knows what the deal was with that. Finally, I got a bottle of "Pet Tabs" vitamin and mineral supplement, and decided to see what might happen if I gave them to him for a while. After about two weeks, we began to see him start passing up on the "snacks" long enough for us to clean it up first, and after a month, he totally stopped "tasting" as we walked around the neighborhood. As long as he took the vitamins, he didn't do it at all, but if I tried to stop them, in about two weeks, he started getting interested again. We just went and kept him on then for the rest of his life.

Members online

No members online now.