The dog musing/vent thread

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mine are the only paps in the club and we've seen one other running at local trials (akc only and it's a phalene which I had to explain was the same breed). Shelties aren't even that common here. I'd bet over 3/4 the entries at the last trial were BCs. My club members were surprised that paps were everywhere at nationals.

I've converted several although I think they all probably think paps are the barkiest dogs in the world thanks to mine. I Even mentioned looking at a certain vocal breed and everyone laughs and said they would fit right in.

A lot of herders are on the list. I know it's going to be a herder for sure because I still miss having them. What are you planning Yvonne? :p

Small dogs aren't common in general and most seem to be schnauzers. I do think I want to keep running papillons. After both girls retire I'll probably get another. I really want one with a solid temperament that I can start as a pup. At their best papillons are just too much fun.

Last edited:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah ask me sometime how well that two-dog plan worked out for me *grin*

It's not really any more arbitrary than preferring a certain coat color, etc. Your first priority is finding a dog who is a good match and with whom you'll be happy, so who cares if the reason is something some would find frivolous?

Or you could just move here, where Aussies and Shelties match or outnumber BCs, and Papillons are everywhere ;)
Haha I'm glad its not totally ridiculous. I do like people being pleasantly surprised by my dogs and I also like how many compliments I get that people fell in love with the breed after my dogs. I heard my trainer bragging on them to some ACD people who were shocked such small dogs did agility.

I really wanted to have two dogs but three will end up happening. I want to try avoiding four dogs. I really do. I have a feeling four may happen some in the farther future too. Luckily I don't have enough money to really work more than two dogs in agility at once. Haha

Last edited:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
My plan was only two. Then Pepper happened and it became three. I knew pretty quickly after that four was going to be the reality. It's a good thing we're only allowed four in this city, and also that I can't afford a house in the country. Or I would have four RIGHT NOW. TODAY. And five would happen later.

Honestly three isn't bad, or maybe it's just these three. Pepper is hardly any trouble at all so she almost doesn't count, so really it's just Auggie and Payton to worry about. Adding a Payton-baby to the mix might be too crazy. GUESS WE'LL FIND OUT

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We're allowed four in town. For some reason I thought three but found out recently it was four. That's when the thoughts of 2 herders and 2 paps at a time started entering my head.

Summer totally doesn't count. She's not demanding at all and would just sleep all day and chew bully sticks. She loves agility and park but she's totally go with the flow, which is nice.

I do think I'll just have three and won't get another till Summer is gone.

I think the rest of my life may go herder, pap, herder, pap, etc. I definitely want to keep at least a few years between them.

I also know when dog 3 comes home I'm going to have all my family tell me it's a terrible idea and I've gone crazy. Ugh

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Mine are the only paps in the club and we've seen one other running at local trials (akc only and it's a phalene which I had to explain was the same breed). Shelties aren't even that common here. I'd bet over 3/4 the entries at the last trial were BCs. My club members were surprised that paps were everywhere at nationals.

I've converted several although I think they all probably think paps are the barkiest dogs in the world thanks to mine. I Even mentioned looking at a certain vocal breed and everyone laughs and said they would fit right in.

A lot of herders are on the list. I know it's going to be a herder for sure because I still miss having them. What are you planning Yvonne? :p

Small dogs aren't common in general and most seem to be schnauzers. I do think I want to keep running papillons. After both girls retire I'll probably get another. I really want one with a solid temperament that I can start as a pup. At their best papillons are just too much fun.
That's crazy you have the only paps! Even our tiny trials (well, I'm assuming other places have significantly more than 70 entries lol) have all kinds of Paps running! Small dogs are pretty common here ..most people seem to own a herder+ a small dog ..usually Aussie& pap, actually. Border Collie people are pretty stuck on BCs LOL!

My plan? It's still 2yrs away& it's killing me. I'm sure everyone will find out sooner or later :) I'm also the same as you ..I'll be herder of choice, Vizsla& repeat as for bringing puppies into our world. I love, love, love my dog but a herder is my next stop!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I know quite a few Aussie/pap or BC/pap people online. The Sheltie rescue here also rescues paps but they don't get very many. Doesn't help that I know both the Sheltie and BC rescue folks.

I like Aussies a lot but the paps hate hate hate body slamming and a lot of the Aussies seem to do that and don't seem to inhibit themselves so much. I have to watch the Aussies a lot closer than the BCs. Been looking at MAS a bit since they're smaller.

You're killing me but I guess I'm doing the same thing. What year are you looking at? Mine will be probably early 2015. Maybe late 2014.

My trainer has a young vizsla and she's crazy high energy and athletic. I see the appeal of them but not sure they'd fit me. She's cool and when she's on she's faster than the BC and jumps insanely well. It's crazy her athleticism.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Early 2016 I do believe :) I know a girl who just got a mini Aussie and he is gorgeous, athletic and SMART.

Yeah, Penn is amazing, fast& ON when she's on. People are already commenting she'll crush the competition& Jess Martin said she was easily one of the nicest handling, speedy Vizslas she's ever seen. She's had maybe 6 knocks in 12 months of training. LOL

She's also very independent and sometimes (a lot) doesn't care what I want her to do. It's frustrating and I long for the focus of a herder. All I want in my next dog is toy drive& focus. I'm so excited for my next pup..

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Talon is on Santa's Naughty list this year.

I LOVE the white chocolate kisses with the candy cane bits in them that come around only around Christmas. Of course I had to buy two bags and I grab one or two to eat after a meal. Well, I've found out Talon is obsessed with them.

I put three candies on the table next to the couch, grabbed one, unwrapped it and ate it. Two minutes later I go to grab another candy kiss and I look over and Talon is oh so gently grabbing the very top of the candy kiss. His eyes goes wide, his neck is stretched out as far as possible as he twists because his body is under the couch so I wouldn't see him approach. He looks at me wide eyed unsure, I look at him a bit stunned to stay anything. Than he ever so slowly picks up the candy kiss and starts slowly backing back into his spot under the couch. Obviously I stopped him, those are my candy kisses RAWR!

But he really doesn't steal things like that! Except for these, I've caught him three times trying to steal one, now I have to horde them in my lap as to ward off any thievery. lol

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Ahhh, Feist started shedding and it's everywhere! Curse you puppy, time for a bath with the zoom groom.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I have a sick obsession with dog beds. Found a really nice, BIG, thinner but cushy dog bed (would work great as a crate or car mat) at Winners. I have no idea where I'm going to put it, but it was only $30 and I know I wouldn't be able to get a bed of that size for that cheap, again.

I have way too many dog beds/mats. I have like three at my dad's house alone. I don't even crate my dog, FFS!

:wall:

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I have a sick obsession with dog beds. Found a really nice, BIG, thinner but cushy dog bed (would work great as a crate or car mat) at Winners. I have no idea where I'm going to put it, but it was only $30 and I know I wouldn't be able to get a bed of that size for that cheap, again.

I have way too many dog beds/mats. I have like three at my dad's house alone. I don't even crate my dog, FFS!

I love the pet section at winners, there's always good stuff there!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Abrams was successfully reinforced as a counter surfer last night. Every time he jumped up he was able to get into something else that someone had forgot to cover. He would immediately get down when I told him to, but dang it...now he's getting up on the counters ALL THE TIME trying to find something tasty.

This was not a habit I wanted to have to fight.

AliciaD

On second thought...
Abrams was successfully reinforced as a counter surfer last night. Every time he jumped up he was able to get into something else that someone had forgot to cover. He would immediately get down when I told him to, but dang it...now he's getting up on the counters ALL THE TIME trying to find something tasty.

This was not a habit I wanted to have to fight.
OMG YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS FIGHT! Duncan is the worst. He can't be alone in the kitchen. :mad:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
OMG YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS FIGHT! Duncan is the worst. He can't be alone in the kitchen. :mad:
I'm just happy that even when he had his head in a bowl of dip I was able to say "OFF" and he'd get right off and come over to me. Idiot dog.

I also discovered last night that he has horrible manners when it comes to shoving his head into people's plates to mooch food (he has no idea what personal space is - he doesn't try to snag the food but WILL set his nose 1 inch from your plate and stare at it), but if I yell "DOWN" from clear across the room he'll immediately down where he is at and hold a down/stay, all while still staring at the poor person's plate of food. :rofl1: Which they don't view as an improvement, but I think is pretty snazzy. LOL

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I think the rest of my life may go herder, pap, herder, pap, etc. I definitely want to keep at least a few years between them.

I also know when dog 3 comes home I'm going to have all my family tell me it's a terrible idea and I've gone crazy. Ugh
Yeah at this point I am planning on the rest of my life being (-retriever-herder-)n, n***8594;infinity :p

My family referred to me as having a kennel with only two dogs...haha. Four? It'll just be something they never mention, as though I had an unmentionable addiction. And I think they've decided that Dog4 = No Grandchildren :p

Shai

& the Muttly Crew

I just tried to purge my dog beds to replace them with primo pads.

Instead I have all the old beds PLUS primo pads. The other day Webster was snoozing on a donut bed on top of a memory foam mat on top of a primo pad and I realized it's possible that I have a problem :p

But hey he was happy, haha

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I finally threw out Summer's old ratty bed. We had FIVE dog beds for two small dogs who spend most their lounging time on the couch.

I still feel bad.

I just tried to purge my dog beds to replace them with primo pads.

Instead I have all the old beds PLUS primo pads. The other day Webster was snoozing on a donut bed on top of a memory foam mat on top of a primo pad and I realized it's possible that I have a problem :p

But hey he was happy, haha
Oh god I stack the new beds on top of the old ones, too. I thought I was the only one.

Slick

Kristina
Siigh...Leo does not listen to me at all when he is playing with other dogs. In fact, its more than that. He actively pretends I do not exist. Does not follow any commands...
He also is not interested in any toys or food.

I am hoping that at least some of it is 9-month old teenager brattiness, and that it will get better.

On the plus side, Leo and I are finally making progress on the leash reactivity. After playing with dogs for an hour, and me getting a more high value treat, he did beautifully when we encountered another dog on the other side of the road. We even walked side by side (on opposite sides) for a good minute, and he would glance over and then immediately whirl over to look at me for a treat :D

Last edited:

Members online