Coyotes Break Glass Chasing Dogs....

joce

They are fearless. And out here they are HUGE!

Scares me to think if they limit us to a handgun with one shot:rolleyes: There are giant packs that roam and when we turn onto our street all you will see at the back of the field is a ton of eyes. It is so creepy.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
OMG this was 10 minutes from my work, no joke. I saw the thread but didn't read the article until our groomer brought it up and I realized where it was.

Guess I won't be running my dogs in the woods around here anymore. :(

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
OMG this was 10 minutes from my work, no joke. I saw the thread but didn't read the article until our groomer brought it up and I realized where it was.

Guess I won't be running my dogs in the woods around here anymore. :(
I was actually thinking of you and Linds when I saw the story on the news last night (I knew you guys lived in the burbs somewhere but wasn't sure where). I know coyotes are bold but I didn't know they were THAT bold.

Grab

Scares me to think if they limit us to a handgun with one shot:rolleyes: .
Well these were frightened off with a BB gun...

Frightening, I'm glad our local coyotes seem to be pretty timid

Hillside

Original Twin
Coyotes can clear eight foot apartment block walls in so cal, that 3 foot fence means nothing.

Scary that they were so intent, glad he had a gun.
SAGA can clear a 3.5 foot fence and she is the laziest dog ever.

One of the things we were really worried about when Zoey was missing were coyotes. Either her tangling with one or being mistaken for one.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Yeah agreed. For the most part, they just creep around, eating garbage and bunnies, lol. And picking off the occasional stray cat or unattended small dog. Behavior like this def isn't typical.

That said, I've had some weird encounters in my area and this story disturbs me, being so very close to where I spend a lot of time with my dogs.

Of course, it's really only Keeva I have to worry about. Blossom might just go native and join them, though. LOL

adojrts

Coyotes kill dogs up here all the time and they are big. They killed my neighbors intact GSD dog a few years ago in their yard. Pack tore him to pieces.

JacksonsMom

SO scary! I've gotten paranoid about other animals lately. We live out on 3 acre, with 90 acres of farmland behind us, and when we go out for our last potty break (usually between 10pm-midnight), I often hear things rustling around in the bushes, or other noises, and it's probably mostly nothing but it scares the CRAP out of me. I've seen foxes, but mostly we just seem to get harmless deer. However, there's a neighborhood near us, super nice, and I was walking thru it once and saw a coyote! I thought I was imagining it, but later heard reports of people saying it was in their backyard, etc. I just don't know what I'd do in a situation like that. Especially with Jackson being so small. I always just take him out on the short 6' leash at night vs. the 50' line or retractable we use during the day.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I always just take him out on the short 6' leash at night vs. the 50' line or retractable we use during the day.
I think just by keeping him within 6 ft of yourself, you're negating the vast majority of any risk to him. :) Stuff like coyotes crashing through glass doors is extremely rare. Most small dogs get picked off when they're unattended.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Well that's kinda crazy.

I'm not sure what our coyote population is like, but it's a common occurrence to see foxes wandering through the neighborhood at sunrise. They mind their own business though and take off pretty easily.. never had one charge me :eek:

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
This is somewhat funny, because I live in the country, like majorly, but somewhat not, as the dog in the story could have been hit by a car easily. Anyway.

One night I was driving home, and was about halfway there when up ahead I see what is VERY clearly a coyote absolutely hauling A$S across the road. I mean he was BOOKING IT, about 300 feet in front of me. As I'm watching him disappear into the brush on the other side of the road, this HUGE white dog, must have been a Pyr or something similar, comes galloping behind him. Just from the body language of the two dogs, the coyote appeared to be in fear for his life, while the Pyr was laughing his head off having a great time. It was the funniest thing I'd seen in a while.

We get some enormous coyotes around here. I've seen several that look like they're the size of a small GSD. One got hit on the four lane down the road and it was humongous. They're very scared of humans out here. It's still country enough that they've not lost that fear.

I've only seen a few foxes, and I've never had either charge me.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
They seem to be losing fear of people steadily around here (northern Indiana). My mom lives kind of out in the country, and I have seen several out in that area in the middle of the day. When I saw the first one it was in the middle of winter, and I actually stopped the car (not a busy road) and got out to make sure I was actually seeing what I thought I was seeing. The coyote was off the road in a field, but when I got out of the car he didn't retreat--I looked at him and he just turned and watched me until I got back into the car. Years later i was at mom's recovering from a surgery I'd had and a large individual came trotting through the yard by the screened in porch at around 1pm. He took note of me standing there, but didn't seem overly concerned and just continued on his merry way. DH an I saw a pretty large one in the early afternoon while hiking out in that area with Sally last year.

I know that in Chicago they have packs in the suburbs for a while and some come very close to downtown: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2064108,00.html

joce

They are not scared of people anymore. Had to start shooting them where we ride the horses as they were stalking people. We can't carry there and last time they were out stalking. Very creepy. I thought it was kids screaming at first. That noise is awful.

And ours don't run from guns. We used to shoot just to try to get them to scatter when they were feeding on the neighbors cats. No go. Supposedly it's worse to shoot because they breed more. Had to do it at the parks though. Going after kids like they were cats.

That's scary. I'm glad I live in an area that doesn't have them. They are always at my dads though trying to eat our baby llamas. :( We would be walking the field and one would be on the other side of the fence in the middle of the day. They wouldn't get scared even if we yelled at them from a short distance away.

My friend was at a high school about 30 minutes away jogging around the track with her Doberman, when two coyotes started stalking her. They were a ways away but got within like 10m of her.

Members online