Parents sue Petco

oriondw

user not active
DanL said:
Regardless of how you feel about the importance of your dog vs a kid, you hit the kid, or let your dog bite the kid, you will pay some pretty severe consequences. You let your dog bite the kid's arm off, your dog is as good as dead. You hit the kid yourself, your dog is as good as dead- because you'll be in jail and the dog will be sent to a shelter, and will be pretty much unadoptable because of the kind of dog it is and how it reacts to strangers.

I dont go to places where there are kids and do everything in my power to stay as far away from them as I can.

That simple.

Julie said:
Of course my child is more important than your dog. And if you think an animals life is equal too or more important than human life........then you got a couple screws loose.

And even if a child would hit your dog with a stick (and no mine wouldn't they have more respect for animals than that) you still have no right to lay a hand on a child, especially not your own. You would be the one sitting in jail for that, or worse.
after reading all your posts i am really wondering WHO has a couple screws lose......(to say it with your own words)

you would watch your dog getting beaten to death by a couple of brats and not help him because you would never hit a child? well that shows how much your dogs mean to you.

what makes you think our species is so important that our lifes have more value then a dogs life? i respect both, dogs and humans.

maybe you should start reading the other posts right. nobody says that hitting a child is a good thing, neither do i.
My dog is my baby and i doubt that it is possible to love another being more then i love my dog. so yes, his value to me is at least as high as your childrens to you. and i think you should respect that.

if my dog would ever need defense he can count on me, no matter if its from a child or an adult and i think that is all that dobiegurl is saying too. you call her immature, i like her point of view. age is not a garantie for maturity as i find proven by your own posts.

i try to not bring my dog into situations that are potantially dangerous for him and if possible would leave a situation like that. but i would never just watch a couple of teenager playing soccer with my dog ( real case! ) till he is dead.
and if the law protects people and children like that....well i got news, not all laws are good and some deserve to be broken.
i am not a lawyer and i dont know it for sure but i could imagine that selfdefense is actually legal........

Julie

I am back again.
after reading all your posts i am really wondering WHO has a couple screws lose......(to say it with your own words)
That is your opinion, and I have mine.

you would watch your dog getting beaten to death by a couple of brats and not help him because you would never hit a child? well that shows how much your dogs mean to you.
First off, maybe YOU should read the posts right. Nobody said getting beaten to death, I believe the words were "hit with a stick"
And I never said I wouldn't protect my dogs which I would and have. But before I would hit someone elses child, I would use my voice then, I would call the police or call the parents of that child in an extreme situation. If a young child picked up a stick and smacked my dog with it, I would simply say, "Oh no no, do not hit my dog" - not smack him in the face, or make him see flying dogs. It is really the parents fault a child would act like that in the first place.
And I didn't say I would never hit a child........But it wouldn't be out of anger. It would only be a spanking if my own child needed it. If you teach and educate your child, your child will respect you, animals, and others.

You are nobody to say how much my dogs mean to me. My dogs are treated better than alot of children. And I love them very much, but a human life still has to be more important than any animals life. Doesn't sound nice but in reality, that is the way it should be.

what makes you think our species is so important that our lifes have more value then a dogs life? i respect both, dogs and humans.
I respect all life including dogs and humans. I really can't believe anyone would truly believe anything would have more value, than human life, any human life. I don't really care for alot of people, but in a matter of life and death, there would never be a question.

I mean if a little girl and her dog were in the middle of a lake drowning, who would you save first? The girl or her dog? I would save the girl.
Now, If a little girl (unknown) and your own beloved dog were drowning in the middle of a lake, who would you save first? The girl or your own dog? I would still save the girl. I think any sane person could only make that choice.

maybe you should start reading the other posts right. nobody says that hitting a child is a good thing, neither do i.
Maybe you should quit adding to MY words. No hitting is not a good thing, so why would that ever be the first thing you would do in a situation, when there are much better alternatives?

My dog is my baby and i doubt that it is possible to love another being more then i love my dog. so yes, his value to me is at least as high as your childrens to you. and i think you should respect that.
Do you have siblings? A mother?, A father? grandparents? would you really pick your dog to live over any of those?(if you had to choose)
I cannot believe you could honestly answer yes.

if my dog would ever need defense he can count on me, no matter if its from a child or an adult and i think that is all that dobiegurl is saying too. you call her immature, i like her point of view. age is not a garantie for maturity as i find proven by your own posts.
Well you must be close her age, and have no children. Maybe someday you will understand.

i try to not bring my dog into situations that are potantially dangerous for him and if possible would leave a situation like that. but i would never just watch a couple of teenager playing soccer with my dog ( real case! ) till he is dead.
and if the law protects people and children like that....well i got news, not all laws are good and some deserve to be broken.
i am not a lawyer and i dont know it for sure but i could imagine that selfdefense is actually legal........
If that really happened, did you press charges? Did you call the police? I would have. Those teenagers can and should have been taken away in handcuffs and put into the system.
The law does not protect people like that......Who said that anyway?
No you cannot plead self defense for a dog.

BYE!

Julie said:
YOU should read the posts right. Nobody said getting beaten to death, I believe the words were "hit with a stick"!
hitting a small dog with a stick can injure him seriously if not kill him. i chose the extreme case (death of the dog) because in your previous statment it sounded like under no cirumstances would you hit a child. good for you if that changed.

Julie said:
And I didn't say I would never hit a child........But it wouldn't be out of anger. It would only be a spanking if my own child needed it.
spanking your child is not only illegal, its not acceptable. there are other methods for teaching a child and it is never approprate. it starled me to read that when in your previous post you stated: "I think some need to realize the importance of not using violence and harsh methods to train their dogs and children".............so spanking isnt violence?

Julie said:
You are nobody to say how much my dogs mean to me. My dogs are treated better than alot of children.
i dont doubt that you treat your dogs good, nor did i ever say so.

Julie said:
I really can't believe anyone would truly believe anything would have more value, than human life, any human life.
I mean if a little girl and her dog were in the middle of a lake drowning, who would you save first? The girl or her dog? I would save the girl.
Now, If a little girl (unknown) and your own beloved dog were drowning in the middle of a lake, who would you save first? The girl or your own dog? I would still save the girl. I think any sane person could only make that choice. .
ok, now insted of the cute little girl, take the guy who just raped your daughter or the murderer who just got released from prison. still wanna rescue him first? is really ANY human life more valueable to you like you posted? or would you start making differences?

as far as i am concerned, i would rescue both, the girl AND the dog. in my eyes they are both equaly worth it. who i would rescue first would be a spontanious desicion.

Julie said:
No hitting is not a good thing, so why would that ever be the first thing you would do in a situation, when there are much better alternatives?.
read my post again.

Julie said:
Do you have siblings? A mother?, A father? grandparents? would you really pick your dog to live over any of those?(if you had to choose)
No, i was raised in the djungel by monkeys......of course i got family.
and my dog is part of it. he is equal to any member of my family. i wouldnt chose andybody over anybody.

Julie said:
Well you must be close her age, and have no children. Maybe someday you will understand.
discriminating against younger ages then yourself doesnt help that your argumentation is poorly.

Julie said:
If that really happened, did you press charges? Did you call the police? I would have. Those teenagers can and should have been taken away in handcuffs and put into the system.
The law does not protect people like that......Who said that anyway?.
just to clerify it. that didnt happen to me. i red it in the newspaper a while ago. a women was taking her young puppy for a walk when a couple of teenagers surrounded them and started kicking the pup around like a ball. all the women did was beggin to leave her dog alone, the puppy died. she called the police, the teenager were never caught.

Julie said:
No you cannot plead self defense for a dog.
yes, i am aware of that this is probably what the law looks like as they refer to dogs only as "things". a dog might not be able to plead self defense but i can. if somebody would harm my dog i would get in the way. if he wants to get to my dog he would have to go past me first, and if he tried that i would have every right on this planet to defend myself.

Kase

I've only just came across this thread so I'm sorry if I repeat anything. I think it's irresponsible for any parent not to teach their child to be wary of unknown dogs and have respect for all animals. In this situation the dog is not to blame.

I respect both humans and animals and can honestly say if a child hurt my dog I would do whatever I could to stop them. If the child was very young I would raise my voice and tell them not to do that, however if the kid was older I would physically move them away from my dog if they did anything to hurt her. Just because the kid is human it doesn't mean I'm going to stand there and watch while it hurts my dog.

Serena

Julie said:
And I never said I wouldn't protect my dogs which I would and have. But before I would hit someone elses child, I would use my voice then, I would call the police or call the parents of that child in an extreme situation.
Sometimes you have to intervene..There were some teenage boys that lit a Pit on fire...I met and worked with the dog so this issue is very personal to me...You know what witnesses did? They called the police. It didn't help the dog..by the time help arrived the damage had already been done..What would of helped the dog was someone going out there and knocking those boys on their butts.

If a young child picked up a stick and smacked my dog with it, I would simply say, "Oh no no, do not hit my dog" - not smack him in the face, or make him see flying dogs. It is really the parents fault a child would act like that in the first place.
If a young child picked up stick and smacked my dog with it I would first snatch the stick out of the childs hands and I would very firmly tell them to not ever hit my dog like that again...Would I hit a small child? Of course not...but I would raise my voice and if yelling scared the child then that would have to happen. I don't believe in hitting a small child but I also don't believe in talking nice to them when they abuse animals.

And I didn't say I would never hit a child........But it wouldn't be out of anger. It would only be a spanking if my own child needed it. If you teach and educate your child, your child will respect you, animals, and others.
I agree with this however some children regardless of how well they are taught are still abusive towards animals and fail to show them any respect..

You are nobody to say how much my dogs mean to me. My dogs are treated better than alot of children. And I love them very much, but a human life still has to be more important than any animals life. Doesn't sound nice but in reality, that is the way it should be.
I disagree the life of a stranger has no meaning to me...and I will always choose my animals over someone I don't know.

I respect all life including dogs and humans. I really can't believe anyone would truly believe anything would have more value, than human life, any human life. I don't really care for alot of people, but in a matter of life and death, there would never be a question.
I place value in my family, my dogs are part of my family. They will always have more importance to me than anyone I don't know.

Both unknown to me? In this case I would save the girl.

Now, If a little girl (unknown) and your own beloved dog were drowning in the middle of a lake, who would you save first? The girl or your own dog? I would still save the girl.
The choice is now between a child I don't know and my dog? Without question, doubt, or hesitation I would save my dog first and then if time allowed I would try and save the girl...again my dogs are my family and if the choice comes down between saving my family (both human and animal) or saving a stranger I will always choose my family first.

I think any sane person could only make that choice.
I disagree. It's not about saving a pets life over a human life...at the core the question is would you save a member of your family or someone else's?

What if someone were to ask you if an unknown child and your own child were drowning in the middle of a lake who would you save? Naturally you would choose your child. How would you feel if someone told you that you were selfish for not saving the other child? You would argue something like your child will always come before another...

For many people with pets the feelings are very similar..No a dog is not a human and no they are not a child but for many people especially people that can't have children of their own animals become more than just pets..they become members of the family and it is unfair to expect this to be dismissed like they were nothing for a stranger.

Would I choose my dogs over a human member of my family? No I would not.

Would I choose my dogs over any member of your family (by "your" I don't mean you directly I am speaking in general terms) without doubts and hesitations.

That is just so insensitive to say on so many levels...what about the people who can never have children?...Are you saying they will never "get it"?

joce

If a kid ran up to my corgi I would have to push/hit them away or they would get bitten. If there parents are pissed at me for that fine,but I am going to be just as pissed as they are. Its not my dobe I ahve to worry about,its my cute fluffy dogs that don;t like being run up to. I'm not going to let my dog bite some kid so my dog can be labeled dangeroues to avoid shoving some kid away. I think its ridiculus to expect someone to let there pets be endangered that way. If a parent has any sense they will have their kid with them and won't have to worry about it.

I heard some lady at the park tell her kids "run and pet the doggies but stay away form that big one". I thought lady your crazy and I think she got the point when we turned around thank god.

I understand some parents are not exactly dog smart but if it comes down to it I'll be teaching their kid before they will hurt or endanger my dog. I've never had a huge problem because if a kid comes running up theyt generally listen to me telling them to stop. But if they didn't I would have to grab the dog close and at least arm the kid away. If there parents are pissed so be it,but my dog won't have bit them.

We had a kid from down the street aiming a bow at my husky and I went down and told him if he did it again I would shove it somewere not so nice and he cried and ran and told his parents who brought him out and made him apolagize to me. It could have went diffrently but even if his parents would have been pissed at me I probally then would have called the cops cuz I wasn't having some punk kid threatening my dog.

D

Dobiegurl

The reason I feel so strongly about defending abused animals is because I used to live next door to "thugs" and they had pitts that they abused. I remember sitting by the gate watching them do terrible things to the dogs but I was helpless. I was only about 4 or 5 years old and I felt useless not being able to help them.

If a kid went to hit my dog with a stick I wouldn't just come out and smack them I would give them a warning and if they proceeded with their evil plan I would defend my dog. Sure, my dog can take a hit from a stick but that doesn't mean that the next dog could. If a kid hit my grandma's dog (3 lb chi puppy) they could easily kill it. But since they had not consequence to hitting my dog they would think its alright and hit any dog, big or small.

I refuse to let people abuse animals just for fun. Its not cute nor funny just plain evil. And then if a dog defends himself from an unruly kid who gets in trouble? More and likely the dog.

And I feel my dog is more important than anyones child because he is my kid. Would you just stand their while your kid was jumped by another kid? I would hope not.

D

Dobiegurl

Well you must be close her age, and have no children. Maybe someday you will understand

Both my mother and my aunt were diagnosed with Muscular Dystrophy at a very young age. My aunts illness took hold of her very early and because of that she was not able to have kids and my mom was lucky to have me before she was no longer able to use her muscles. Some people cannot have kids and some just don't want them (like me, I am a carrier for MD and I would die of I passed that on to my children, I couldn't live with myself) so they dogs to keep them company and be their kids. My aunt has a service dog that she got about 8 years ago and they have created a bond that is so special, she says Tony is a part of her, whatever she can't do he does for her and I have witnessed her become independent again. He is an extension of her and she loves that dog more than life itself. You know how that must feel to have a dog do everything for you and you don't expect her to defend him when neccessary (or to the best of her ability). If something happened to that dog a piece of her will be gone and she cannot defend Tony against bratty kids who might bring harm to him. She would die for that dog because he has brought so much hapinness and independence to her life and she owes it to him to defend him.

Dani

Ninja Dog
If a kid was harassing my dog (ie. pulling ears, stepping on toes, hitting/poking), I would not stand for it. Of course I wouldn't punch the kid out (even if I really wanted to), but I would pull the kid aside and tell him or her to never treat any animal that way. That simple.

If my dog was in danger of being injured (like the example of being hit with a stick) I would yell, grab the stick, and tell the kid that I don't ever want to see that happen again, you would not be permitted to see my dog anymore, and you are lucky that I won't whack YOU with the stick.

It was awful what happened at the Petco. That's why caution always has to be taken.

D

Dobiegurl

Would I choose my dogs over a human member of my family? No I would not.

Would I choose my dogs over any member of your family (by "your" I don't mean you directly I am speaking in general terms) without doubts and hesitations.
Thats how I feel. I value any one in my family including animals ant are more important to me than your family. Sorry, the truth hurts. If I had a daughter and bothe my daughter and your daughter where drowning I would not expect you to pick my child over yours. And the same goes for me. I would choose my children (in this case my dog) over your child.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I agree with you Dobiegurl. Im sorrym but the death of my dog over the death of someone else's kid, im choosing my dog.

Julie

I am back again.
The truth doesn't hurt, it is just sad.

I just am glad none of you will be caring for any of my children.:D

I understand this is a forum for DOG Lovers........so I will not debate my priorities anymore. This has really turned into a non-productive thread.

I also hate the way some of you twist words and read more into a post than is what is actually there.

I would also like to add, a person can love and respect a dog and treat him/her like a member of their family, but still put more "value" on children.

I am so thankful I don't need to "hire" childcare. I have the best care when needed, grandparents........and don't think for a minute, anyone of them would pick their dog over a child............Any child..........and for that goes respect...........

This will be my last post on this thread, I am sure anyone can understand, I think it really has gotten out of hand.

Best wishes to you all, and I hope you never will need to make the decision to save your dog over any child.;)

I don't think children should come in contact with animals until they know how to properly treat them. For the child's safety and the animal's.

dobiegirl

i have heard something like this before a little boy pulled a dogs tail and the dog growled at the boy.so the mom slapped the dog and the dog bit her.the rotti probably didnt know a stranger would come up at pet her.It never says the girl asked to pet the dog.what if the dog did like people but it would be a safer bet if the owner of the dog was carefully watching how the people pet the dog?what if the girl was petting the dogs in a hard stroke?like lifting her hand then hitting the dog everytime she was petting it.I dont think it is right that they want to make the kids not being able to interact with animal.

dobiegirl

i have heard something like this before a little boy pulled a dogs tail and the dog growled at the boy.so the mom slapped the dog and the dog bit her.the rotti probably didnt know a stranger would come up at pet her.It never says the girl asked to pet the dog.what if the dog did like people but it would be a safer bet if the owner of the dog was carefully watching how the people pet the dog?what if the girl was petting the dogs in a hard stroke?like lifting her hand then hitting the dog everytime she was petting it.I dont think it is right that they want to make the kids not being able to interact with animals at petco or any other pet store for that matter.

Members online

No members online now.