Butterfly Turkey?

ACooper

Anyone cooked a turkey this way?

I am really thinking about trying it this year! Looks easy enough to cut the back bone out and lay it flat........cuts the cooking time in 1/2, which of course means less time in the oven to dry out the meat!

If you've cooked it this way, or just eaten one that someone else cooked this way....please chime in and let me know! TIA!

Saeleofu

I never have...never even occurred to me. I would be afraid of it drying out, though.

ACooper

I never have...never even occurred to me. I would be afraid of it drying out, though.
*supposedly* less time in the oven = less time to dry out. Instead of 3-4 hours, it only takes 1 1/2 - 2, but IDK.

You can still prep as you normally would, soak in brine, use a seasoning rub, use a cooking bag, baste with butter.....just however you would normally cook your turkey.

I'm a bit nervous to try it for the first time on THANKSGIVING! LOL....major turkey day...sort of like getting a hair cut right before your wedding, if something goes wrong you're screwed :lol-sign:

Not sure how that could cut the cooking time in half?

You still have nearly the same mass to heat and the same thickness in the legs which is usually the slowest to cook.

ACooper

Not sure how that could cut the cooking time in half?

You still have nearly the same mass to heat and the same thickness in the legs which is usually the slowest to cook.
More surface area to heat at once.........again, this is all supposed because I have no experience, but every recipe I've found for cooking this way is a lot less cooking time. Starting out higher (around 425, then dropping to 350 after an hour or so)

Imagine making a ball of hamburger in the oven verses a flat patty....It's not really the mass, but the ability to reach the center with heat.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I have done that with chickens because it cooks faster. Also, with cornish game hens.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
We cook it like that ever year as log as I can remember. Though we cook it low and slow, so our 12-15lb turkey takes about 5 hours plus an hour of rest.

Saeleofu

Imagine making a ball of hamburger in the oven verses a flat patty....It's not really the mass, but the ability to reach the center with heat.
But a ball of hamburger isn't hollow. A turkey is (mostly).

ACooper

But a ball of hamburger isn't hollow. A turkey is (mostly).
true, but it still takes the heat quite awhile to penatrate to the center of the turkey.....or even the legs that are tucked up by the turkey.

All I know is 'they' say more exposed surface = faster cooking time.

And Jess......WOW........12-15lbs and 5 hours? My regular turkey doesn't take that long.......how is it not dried out? :eek:

Saeleofu

Low and slow
Exactly this. Our turkey is never dry. We do get a big 20+ pound turkey, but it's in the oven for around 8 hours. Always super moist and tasty. We also DO NOT get Butterballs...the only time we had dry turkey, it was a butterball. Ew. We get generic from I think Dillon's.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Exactly this. Our turkey is never dry. We do get a big 20+ pound turkey, but it's in the oven for around 8 hours. Always super moist and tasty. We also DO NOT get Butterballs...the only time we had dry turkey, it was a butterball. Ew. We get generic from I think Dillon's.
Oh yah, we also get fresh turkeys from the local butcher rather than frozen from a grocery store, which I'm sure helps.

Lyzelle

Low and slow. OR Super high, then turn the oven off. I flip the birds breast down at first and cover completely with foil, then flip them last hour or so for a crispy skin. Keeps the breast from getting dried out. Also, butter. Tons of butter, placed between skin and meat.

Never removed the backbone before, though, and I'm not cooking a turkey this year because I couldn't find a small enough one. I'm sure Zander would have loved that method.

If you like super crunchy skin, baste with coconut milk/oil/however you like it. Caramelizes the skin to sweet crunchy perfection, creates a barrier and seals in the moisture in the breast and meat. Mmmm. You can do that on pigs, too.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Never done it, but don't see why it wouldn't work. I personally wouldn't do it, but that's because I LOVE stuffing cooked in the turkey. You can't beat it for flavor.

Randomly, I've never had a problem with dry turkey. I roast it the traditional way at 325 degrees. For doneness, I always go by a meat thermometer or the "wiggle test": I wiggle a leg or wing, and if it is tender and starts coming apart, turkey's done.

I found if you go by those pre-inserted, pop-up plastic thingies, you're much more likely to end up with an overcooked, dry bird.

Kilter

I've done chicken that way, works great on the grill. For turkey, haven't done that but hey might try it sometime. I prefer stuffing cooked separate and crispy anyway.

spiffy

Haven't tried it yet but you have given me an idea. Have to try it next time I have turkey. Hope it turns out well.

Members online

No members online now.