If someone writes

Kilter

When you ask where a potential puppy owner plans to keep the pup during the day, and their answer is 'outside, with the heated garage open in case they get cold'; and they have five acres; and it's unfenced because it's an acreage, and they have deer, bunnies, and neighbors with horses....

Why does it make you uneducated and harsh when you say you are not comfortable placing a puppy in that situation? (knowing that a border collie is quite likely to go chase horses, bunnies, deer and get shot or run over):rolleyes:

Then suddenly the suggestion that the pups all be co-owned until altered was an issue too, because if I don't know them, they don't know me, and so on. Suddenly they would not ever leave a puppy unattended, but would train the dog to not leave the property before leaving them outside, their past dogs have never wandered, so....

I didn't write back that while that was true, my one landlord was known to silence the poodle next door when it was out and barking at the fence line (acreage situation) with a few shots from a pellet gun. That dog 'never' left the property either of course (but did have a clone that did I guess, he'd come into the pasture if I was walking my crew)....

adojrts

That is normal, I like to weed them out quickly and get on with the great homes. However, I haven't had to deal with those kinds of emails, calls for a while now. Because my prospective puppy people are either referred to me by mutual friends or I know them from for competing.
Good luck, but don't give those kinds of buyers a second thought.

Kilter

I'm not. The whole response was a huge waving neon red flag, that she was a perfect owner and wasn't going to read or listen to advice, and if there was any sort of issue beyond her 11 years of dog ownership, it would be my fault.

No thanks!

Mach1girl

That is the mind set of folks in thhese parts. Because there was NEVER a leash law and never will be and mostly everyone owns acerage.......no dog around here is kept indoors or in a fence for that matter..... Sad....Is why I cannot walk my dogs, thankfully they have fenced in acerage!!

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
Never dilute your standards by caving, even a little, to subpar homes or people that make you uncomfortable. This is your product, YOU choose who gets it, not them :) Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.