Diarrhea after raw bone...?

noludoru

Bored Now.
The only two times I've given Middie raw bones (and they have visibly helped his teeth and he loved them) he's had nasty diarrhea afterwards. I mean... nasty. :eek: I gave him one yesterday and his very loose poop was green at training and when we got home he had runny diarrhea.. and last night he had diarrhea.. and today he had a little bit more, and that seems to be it.

Any ideas why he's having it? Could it be that raw just doesn't agree with him or something? or bacteria in the knuckle bones causing it? They've been frozen for a month this time, and I figured that would kill anything terribly harmful.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
See Bamm has the opposite issue. He ends up having yellowish or really really light colored poops that he ends up growning in constipation to try and get out... not always the case... but more often than not

Dekka

Just try me..
Nolu...is he eating the whole bone or just the marrow. If he is eating a bunch of marrow, that would do it. Marrow is basically all fat and often gives dogs not used to it nasty liquid poops.

In the beginning Gabbi had explosive water diarhea after a raw bone. Like she was peeing out her butt. Now she is ok with them. Sucks and I felt bad for her, it couldn't be a good feeling for her. Thank goodness her system is used to it.

It is likely the marrow that is causing the problem. The next time you give a marrow bone, give it for just a few minutes so only a small amount of the marrow is consumed. If all is well afterward, increase the amount of time you allow him to have the bone each time one is given to allow his body to get used to the marrow.

Also, the more frequently you give them once his system is acclimated to them, the less problems you'll have.

I've had this problem with some of my dogs and raw bones. They may not be able to handle the bacteria count. Dogs are inidividuals just like people what some people and dogs can tolerate, others cannot. Two of my dogs do really well on raw but the other two get sick on it.

R

RedyreRottweilers

^^^ as a long time (15+ years) raw feeder, I would say it is the marrow as well. Also if bones have a larger amount of fat around the outside, they can cause diarrhea in some dogs.

I have had this happen in the past with certain dogs, not all.

Give the bone for a little while, take it up, freeze it inside a bag, and return it for more short periods until it's gone.

:D

noludoru

Bored Now.
Okay, I'll do that, Red. Thanks everyone for the advice - I know he doesn't have a problem with raw meat because I've given him plenty before, lol.

I recently started having the same problem as noludoru with my dog. She's two and has been getting bones for most of her life. It's a good way to keep her on her pillow while she dries off as your just can't get her coat dry with a towel.

In the beginning they gave her really hard poos. Which served the purpose of cleaning out the anal sacs. But the last few bones have started giving her liquid butt. They're not marrow bones either as I learned to stay away from those after the first couple. I'm at a loss for reasons why the sudden change. I don't know if I should just push through as maybe it's a phase (b/c she loves eating them and people always comment on her nice white teeth) or just stop (b/c I feel really bad for her and came home to a messed up floor once...ewww)

Members online

No members online now.