I'm Going to Breed Roxy Mae

Ash47

Taco Dog
I have decided. She is going to be bred. I will find her a mate that is suitable in the terms of health and temperament and I am going to let her have one litter. After that, she will be fixed. I have had her health tested and I have homes for her pups. This is a little while off since she is only 9 months old, but just letting everyone know. there will be little Roxys running around!

showpug

What made you decide to breed her? What health screens did you have done? I know hip OFA's can't be done until at least 18 months of age :confused:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
we never bred a dog at the kennels that was younger then 2 yrs.

showpug

Okay...so I am really not trying to be a pest, but I just want to put my opinion in on breeding and you can take it or leave it! I am a firm believer that dogs should only be bred if #1 they are a good representation of their breed in both temperment and confirmation and #2 if they pass all their health screens i.e. hip certification, eye certification, patellas, elbows...the list goes on. AND #3 if by breeding this dog, the future of the breed is improved. I don't think it is up to us as biased owners to decide if our dog is a good representation of their breed. This needs to be done under a judge in the show ring or by a long term ethical show breeder, or by someone who knows the breed better than ourseleves. The whole point behind conformation dog showing is to evaluate dogs for breeding. I take breeding VERY seriously and if I remember correctly, the dog you want to breed is a chihuahua. These are so overbred right now it's scary. Not to mention that they usually have whelping difficulties and they don't always make great mothers. I saw quite a few in for c-sections during my vet clinic days and I even saw one die from having pups. I know you love your dogs, and I don't know the whole story behind you, your dog, or why you want to breed. I just want you to make a responsible and educated decision. There is a lot more that goes in to deciding if a dog should be bred that having homes for the puppies and a vet exam. Plus, no ***** should be bred until at least 2 years....this is kind of early for these people to agree to take puppies. Good luck

Ash47

Taco Dog
Well I never said this was in the near future and she has had her pre-screen by my boss, a vet. I will get her further genetic testing in the future, but as of right now, she will be bred sometime way later. She is of show quality. She has been confirmed as being show quality, etc. But I have a question, how come no one asked Love4pits these questions?? Everyone just told her how great it was. Nothing at all against L4P, but no one seems too concerned when she has puppies.

showpug

Most breeders will not sell a "show quality" dog to just anyone. Most go out on a show contract stating that you have to show her to her championship and absolutley no breeding until then. If a "show quality" dog goes to a pet home then they go on spay/neuter contract. If she came from a show breeder then they would want a say in who she is bred to etc. Just make sure she is REALLY show quality and breeding quality. There are a lot of champion show dogs that people decide not to breed for a lot of different reasons. I would suggest you buy the book "Breeding a Litter" and read it front to cover. It will help you with this decision. :)

Invisible

Love4Pits has been breeding for a while, and I think eveyone already knows she does alll the testing and does it for the good of breeds and all those other questions. She has probably already answered them before.

Anyways I hope you do all the tests and your pups turn out good.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I think we may have been a bit hasty to put Pro47 down here guys! I think everyone deserves a chance to explain themselves!

Invisible

Gustav said:
I think we may have been a bit hasty to put Pro47 down here guys! I think everyone deserves a chance to explain themselves!
I agree with Gustave, as long as she does the health tests and does everything right, and has homes I don't understand what wrongs with her breeding her dog.

I've edited my original post when I jumped. It's just I'm so into rescue now. But if you are responsible and bettering the breed, I'm all for it.

Last edited:

beagle_lovergirl

Stare at my avatar....
Soon enough, this "disscussion" will explode 5.....4......3......2.....1......BOOM! I think everyone means well, why should we be fighting. Pro47 said that she WILL do all the health tests, that she IS willing to pay for anything, that she KNOWS there is a risk of losing Roxy Mae, that she WILL ONLY breed in the distant future,that she WILL care for the pups AND look for a reputable stud, that she DID ask a more knowledgeable person if Roxy Mae is a good reprensatation of the breed and that she CAN improve the breed. I'm not taking any sides (and I definetly dont want anyone angry or thinking I was to harsh) but I think those are good reasons why she might want to breed Roxy Mae. And Showpug and everyone else is trying to show that he (or she) cares about dogs and their future and only wants whats best for them. As simple as that.

Ash47

Taco Dog
Thank you very much Gustav and Invisible! At least you guys aren't jumping down my throat! Well, Love4Pits had to start somewhere since she has been breeding for a long time. And her pups turn out fine! So will mine. I thought I could come here for support, but I don't know now. I am being responsible and she isn't being bred anytime soon. I know what I am doing and I work for a vet and have for a long time. I have him to continually check Roxy Mae out. She is going to get health tested further by OFA. Anyway, I don't have to explain myself. I just thought you guys would know by now that I am an animal lover, not someone who just wants to make money off of them. :( Oh well...

showpug

I was never arguing...I did not know questions were arguing. :confused: I will leave the subject alone now. I am not trying to be nasty, I just take breeding VERY seriously and feel that it should be done by VERY experienced breeders. I know everyone has to start somewhere, but it should be done under a VERY experienced mentor in that case.

It is known the Chi breed needs improved. Just as the poor Irish Setter, Golden Retriever, dalmation, etc. etc. (I could go on forever) has been bastardized by movies and popularity. Ever since the Taco Bell dog the Chi has gone downhill (maybe even before? Dunno.) So, any betterment to the breed would be a good thing...

Members online

No members online now.