Who Gets The Dog?

bogolove

I saw it yesterday and they had a little dog on there and one of the "tricks" to teach him was to jump over hurdles that were taller than he was. This was a small dog like a bichon frise or a shih tzu (spelling?) and it did not look at all interested in learning how to jump 4 hurdles that were taller than he was.

And who are these judges? Half the time they sound like they barely know what they are talking about.

Hmm, now I don't have cable tv and have never seen this show, but I did hear about it and thought it sounded like a good show. As someone who interviews potential adopters at our animal shelter, the premise of the show appealed to me.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
I saw this show for the first time last night, and most of these people on here are really only worried about the well being of the dog. They talk to the families that didn't get the dog, and just about all of them were crying and saying that they are happy knowing the dog will have a loving family. It seems like the families are pretty sincere. I don't know.....

bogolove

Yeah they do seem like that, I agree, I just don't know why they pick those dumb tricks that do not make any sense. Teaching them to sit is one thing, but teaching a bichon to jump hurdles made no sense to me.

The families did seem to care for the dog very much though, I just thought the judges were a bit odd.

snookums

It sounds like it would be very confusing to the dog and make adjustment take longer.

HOWEVER. Look at the greater good. If glamourizing the process of adopting a dog from a shelter find more dogs homes and saves more dog's lives, than the show is worth it.

Andre

Mommy to Nala and Molly
Kbob said:
Has anyone heard about this new upcoming TV reality show on Animal Planet called "Who Gets The Dog"? In a nutshell...they pull a dog out of a shelter and shuffle it around for 3 days with 3 families for 24 hours each. Somehow the dog is supposed to "choose" which family it wants to live with. The family members must not have been convicted of any crime including animal abuse and they must be willing to adopt and care for the dog involved.

Can you believe the craziness of this? I had already thought that reality TV has gone over the top but this is ridiculously over the top! Is this what it's come to for "entertainment purposes"? What happens after the show is over? What happens to the dog after the novelty wears off? Can you just imagine what kinds of behaviour problems this will cause in the dog?

This kind of thing would never happen with a foster child....why would it be called "entertainment" for something like this to happen to the dog.
Well, this is ridiculous (at least)... first, how can you expect a dog to get to know his environment and the people in one day, and all the stress about switching homes and production crew, overexcited families... I mean, if the dog had some issues when he got to the shelter, wait to see what happens after the show its over... on the other hand he might get movie deals and become a huge movie star!!!!! :D No, seriously, I haven't seen it but for what everybody here is saying, Its not only lame but also some kind of animal abuse!!!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
i agree..think we should all let the network know how wrong it just is,

Members online