How'd your first dog take to your second?

Kimbers

I was just watching some of Kailey's old puppy videos and I noticed that Schaffer is in most of them. The thing is, I had always thought it took him a while to warm up to her, but he was actually really happy to have a little sister. In most of the videos, he randomly comes trotting over, tale wagging, toy in mouth, and paw gently at Kailey to get her to play. The only bad thing was, he, for some odd reason, decided to be somewhat submissive to the new six-week-old puppy, so when she stole his bed, he's just go curl up on the floor. He also let her attempt to eat his food. (We did stop both behaviors, but it was just interesting to see how submissive a seventy-five pound GSD can act to a three pound, six-week puppy.)

Anyway, when you got a second dog, what did doggy number one think?

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Well, some years ago when we obtained a little terrier mix named Benji, Daisy sniffed him and accepted him right away. That is uncommon, though.

After Benji when we got Rocky, I had both of them on leash after getting out of the car (because we'd taken Daisy to meet him, they got along, and we brought him home the same day) and I walked up to the front door and Daisy turned and looked at Rocky with a hard eye, and bit him. It was like "why are you on MY property? GTFO." Rocky never fought back, his MO is avoidance and appeasement. But anyway, we put Daisy out in the back yard and walked Rocky out there and Daisy bit him again. So after that we kept them separated for a day or two, and when Daisy got used to him being there we let them together with supervision. Daisy pouted for about a week, and now they get along well, although she does grouch at him for jumping on her face, lol.

What made it easier is that Rocky doesn't snark back ever. It would have been more difficult to acclimate a dog who would snark back, as Daisy is, well, a bitch and will not get along well with a dog who won't listen to her corrections.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Lizzie was curious, then ignored him for the first couple weeks, now four years later they're best friends. :)

ACooper

Phoebe was really happy and playful with Orson for the first few days/maybe a week. Then it dawned on her that he wasn't VISITING, he was moving in! LOL, After that she has treated him like a typical little brother..........basically as an annoyance whose occasionally worth the time to play with. OCCASIONAL being the optimal word, LOL

RD

Are you dead yet?
She didn't. :(

Shortly after I had decided to adopt my foster, Wink, at 3-4 months of age, Eve jumped into Wink's x-pen and went after her, confirming my worries that Eve was only tolerating Wink because she was tiny, quiet and inconspicuous. Wink grew from a teeny puppy to a solid, muscular, wiggly ball of uncontrollable happy, and Eve just couldn't stand her.

Wink is in her perfect forever home now, but I still miss her every day. Any future additions to the family will be managed differently, with strict C&R, babygates and secure outdoor runs. I don't ever expect my dog to like another.

Romy

Taxiderpy
My dog was super happy to meet and play with puppy off the property. When we loaded them both into the car you could see realization dawning. He went from super happy, to super pouty.

You mean it's coming home with us? I don't want to share!

He spent about two weeks pouting each time, then switched to completely adoring his new dog friend and they've all gotten along great.

Dogs6

Plus One
Umm since I was born we've always had 2 dogs at the very least although it usually fluctuates between 3-5 and is at the highest now at 7. Tika was accepted pretty quickly by our other dogs when we got her although I do remember our first dog attacking her when I was outside alone with them.

Tika accepted Taz well, AFAIK remember she just sniffed him and went about her business. She was always kept seperated from him and the other inside dogs though because when she broke out of the dog pen when Fudge was 12ish weeks old she went after him. Now they're the best of friends. With Scamp it was hate at first sight and it was only last year when they could be trusted together. Ozzy was ignored right from the start and obviously she accepted Diesel and Aura straight away since she have birth to them. I think that she may have to be kept seperated from Aura though as she isn't find of other bitches.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
At first Chloe loved Violet cause they were the same size and could play together. When Violet got bigger and more rambunctious she was less interested and more irritated but now they kind of ignore each other for the most part. There are times when they play though, and I know Chloe secretly loves her. :p Violet thinks Chloe is the best thing ever.

Gypsydals

Peewee accepted Chloe (the dal before Ivan) quite easily, he played with her,shared with her. He would even stuff her in the back of the doghouse to keep her warm during the winter. With Ivan its been the total opposite, he would leave the room when Ivan would get obnoxious, never correcting him. Which turned out to be not such a good thing. Now Ivan "thinks" he rules the house. He has never played with Ivan and any toys. He does not let Ivan in the dog house with him. He shares nothing with him. They pretty much ignore each other.
I'm not sure if it was just Peewees age or the same sex thing, but things are defiantly different between Ivan and Peewee than it was with Chloe and Peewee.

Peas in a pod. Same with the third. My third is the only one to make new dogs difficult, but since we have learned a routine and how to introduce dogs to him the way HE does well with any fosters or dogs just coming home from work with me to chill do very well with him.

Teal

...ice road...
I've always had multiple dogs. My pack now accepts new dogs wonderfully, as they all came into a pack themselves. It's pretty interesting in that my dogs respond to other dogs in the opposite way of most - when meeting OFF the property, some of them can be more reserved and slow to warm up. However, if I bring a new dog ON the property for the first meeting.. Everyone just accepts it (provided the other dog is friendly, of course).

Blaze wasnt to intrested. But Solo wasnt to intresting himself when we bome. brought him home. At 4 weeks all he did was sleep and eat. since he was so sick and drugged up. After he started to feel better and started to act like a dog. Blaze took right to him. They are BFF's. Solo realllllly brought the puppy back out in Blaze

Solo ADORES Blaze. I bring blaze to work with me often. and leave Solo at home, as he hates coming to work. So as soon as we come home from work. Solo will bounce all over blaze, and ignore me, not even greeting me, but Blaze first. it turns in to a massive fight (play fight) for about 30 mins after of crazy dog zoomies and wreastling lol.

My Shih Tzu was well accepted by my Lab. I had no problem with introduction. They have considered themselves as best of friends.

Snark

Mutts to you
Patch, my first dog, was known as the 'social director' because she got along with everyone. We'd take her to the barn where we boarded our horses - the owners had 5 dogs and other boarders brought their dogs, too. Patch would get all of them going in crazy dog zoomies. She accepted Sam right away when we adopted him and he accepted her (interesting since he was very DA with every other dog he ever met).

Added Emily to the mix when she was a puppy. Sam had to be kept separated from her for a couple of months and after that he tolerated her but was never friendly. Patch wanted nothing to do with Emily until she got big enough to play with, then they were best friends for the rest of their lives.

Mick and Murph came as a package deal (brothers). Murphy is more laid back and when we acquired Riley, he was, and still is, exceedingly tolerant of the Stripey boy. Mick is more volatile in temper and doesn't put up with Riley's antics very much. It's been 2-1/2 years and he is only now starting to instigate play with Riley.

Red Chrome

My dogs are a lot like Teal's actually. Judge accepts any neutral dog into my house, meeting off the property is more tricky with him.

Both boys accepted LoLa with no reservations!

Red.Apricot

Weirdly, everyone loves Elsie. My parents' GSD, Sheila does not usually like new dogs and especially doesn't like bitches, but she took to Elsie right off. Patriot (their other GSD) has always thought she was the best, and Zobby, who can be dog reactive/aggressive (especially with husky type dogs, so we worried about a fluffy pointy Elsie) was in love instantly.

To this day all of the other dogs adore her.

And from the get go, she's adored Zoey.

~Tucker&Me~

Tucker was pretty indifferent and the two don't play that much, but I do really think that they enjoy each other's company and like having a companion during the work day when the rest of the family is out. Spy is also very finicky when it comes to eating, and I have noticed that when he sees Tucker eating (he is such a pig lol) he relaxes and is much more likely to nibble at his own dinner.

Having now had two dogs, and a while back 3 with a foster, I definitely like the idea of having two (3 was a bit much). I think for the most part they enjoy the company when we are at work and it is fun to have two... I always refer to them as brothers and when I talk to them it always goes something like "Look at your brother gobbling up his dinner... You better hurry up before he eats yours too!" :lol-sign:

I am really dreading the return of Tucker's lymphoma... I don't want to go down to one dog :(

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
We took Watson with us to the breeder's house the first time we met Menchi. His reaction was to stay on Cheryl's couch and look down at the puppies with a "What the heck are those and why are we here." sort of expression.

Menchi came up and tried to touch him and he jumped away like she was trying to eat him ;)

When we actually brought her home though he decided that having her was fantastic.

Liberty spent a lot of the first few weeks with Bailey snarking and sitting haughtily on the couch (far away from this large, spotted, noisy creature). Now they tolerate one another, and occasionally when no one is looking they even cuddle or chase each other around the yard. Bailey thinks Liberty is awesome.

Mammoth was harder to introduce because he's blind and (therefore) isn't great with nonverbal communication. At the very beginning, he was a foster (because Bailey would lay by the x-pen and growl) and we were worried about Liberty getting stepped on. But now, he and Bailey are best buds and Bailey looks out for him when he starts to wander off. Liberty and Mammoth are less than friendly with one another, but because Liberty is the aggressor and Mammoth doesn't bite back we ensure that they have space from each other.

When we brought Radar home Duke (sister/roommates dog) was all omgapuppy!!!! and wanted to play with Radar 24/7, Radar just wanted him to go away. Within a week he warmed up to Duke and now they are inseparable.

Desoto lives with my parents and he would not tolerate a second dog being added to the house. I visit him and my parents a few times a week to take him out to get some exercise and train with him and I usually have Radar in tow, I crate and rotate Radar and him when I am there.

Members online

No members online now.