No Bulldog or Pekenese will Compete at Crufts

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Wow, interesting! Why only in fifteen breeds though? I wouldn't object to seeing it done in ALL breeds, not just those with a reputation for problems... very very interesting.

Wonder why they didn't then put up the BOS? I wonder if this is going to create some interesting politics with people showing dogs and taking BOB even when they know it won't pass the vet check so the breed misses out on competing in group...

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Well technically they did compete, in breed. But the BOBs, while getting the nod, do not actually get to keep the title of BOB and do not get to compete for Group or BIS.

But yes I agree with SaraB that this is a positive thing. I am interested to see the effects of this.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
What is this...a step in the right direction :D

Let's see if the positive movement continues. There are quite a few other breeds they should put on this list. We should start doing this here if it proves helpful in the UK.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
This is nice to know. Cheers to them for making this move. I feel it was a brave one, as well as necessary.

Very nice step in the right direction. Would love to see Westminster follow in that same direction

I see the dog that won the US Westminster dog show, is also the breeders of the Peke that failed in Crufts!
http://www.bestinshowdaily.com/blog/2012/03/crufts-campaign-against-the-purebred-dog/
I know when they interviewed the Owner/handler? on the Today show he said they imported him.

I'm happy to see this change. I know many aren't (those in the breed who have been breeding this way for so long), but I think things do need to change. I was mortified over the snorting and snoring of the Chows at our last AKC show last year while waiting for our turn in the ring. It was more than upsetting to hear them like that.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Did I miss, while reading on my phone, what the vet check is looking for as far as pass or fail?
I didn't see it in that article, but this is what I found elsewhere:

"Professor Steve Dean, Crufts Committee member and Senior Veterinary Surgeon, and a member of the Kennel Club General Committee, said of the new requirements: 'The guidance which we will issue to Show Vets will focus on clinical signs associated with pain or discomfort which will come under the main headings of external eye disease, lameness, skin disorders and breathing difficulty. The show veterinary surgeons will be looking for signs such as ectropion, entropion, corneal damage, dermatitis, breathing difficulty on moderate exercise, and lameness. The fifteenth breed is the Chinese Crested where the principal issue will be the presence of skin damage arising from hair removal and thus signs of clipper rash or chemical insults to the skin will be looked for.

'It is not intended for the vet to act in any way as a show judge of conformation. Veterinary opinion will only lead to disqualification of a dog from further competition where there is clinical evidence of disease. Perhaps the only arguable exceptions are ectropion and entropion as both are conformatory defects of the eyelid, but both conditions are closely associated with chronic conjunctival inflammation or corneal damage and thus they will be disqualifying signs in their own right.'"

(excerpt from http://www.crufts.org.uk )

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
The fifteenth breed is the Chinese Crested where the principal issue will be the presence of skin damage arising from hair removal and thus signs of clipper rash or chemical insults to the skin will be looked for.
Thank you very much. This part in particular is something I am happy to read!

Grab

I read somewhere that the Bulldog failed due to a speck of dust on the eye,that was only visible with a light (something that wasn't supposed to be used..I think it's supposed to be a visual check only). I'd also heard that the Bulldog was able to do all of the exercise testing without panting/showing tiring. While having dogs be declared sound is one thing, if they're using Bulldogs and Pekes to be an example by finding any fault whatsoever, that's inappropriate.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
The kennel club have done a massive overhaul in the last couple of years. You can't accuse them of not trying. Some way to go yet.

Saeleofu

I wouldn't object to seeing it done in ALL breeds, not just those with a reputation for problems.
Yes, this! And not just at the major shows, at every show would be wonderful. Of course it will take a while to get there (and a hike in entry fees, I'm sure), but it's a step in the right direction.

I read somewhere that the Bulldog failed due to a speck of dust on the eye,that was only visible with a light (something that wasn't supposed to be used..I think it's supposed to be a visual check only). I'd also heard that the Bulldog was able to do all of the exercise testing without panting/showing tiring. While having dogs be declared sound is one thing, if they're using Bulldogs and Pekes to be an example by finding any fault whatsoever, that's inappropriate.
I guess it depends on the source. If the owner/handler said it was a spec of dust, or one of their fans, I'd take it with a grain of salt. I do think using a light, just like in any other veterinary examination, is perfectly acceptable (to me, don't know what the rules say) because often a corneal scar can only be seen with a light. And at least around here show buildings are notoriously poorly lit.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
This sounds like breed club spin to me. I doubt we'll ever hear a verified official reason.

That said I applaud it. It's about **** time. Oh and FYI - they don't get BOB either from the story I read on the KC website.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/4199/23/5/3

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
The Clumber Spaniel will also not be awarded BOB or continue on to Group.

SarahHound

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/4202/23/5/3

The Clumber has also failed its check.
No dog representing the Clumber Spaniel breed will compete in Friday evening’s Best in Group competition at Crufts after it failed the new veterinary check that has been introduced to the show.

The Best of Breed award was not given to Clumber Spaniel, Chervood Snowsun, following its veterinary check, which was carried out by an independent veterinary surgeon. This means that it will not be allowed to continue into the Gundog Best in Group competition.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Are they not allowing any of each breed not make it to Group, or just the single dog? What I mean are they checking the "runners up"?

Members online