What is Lucky?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
This is Mia's best friend. He's owned by a friend of mine and we see him almost every day at the park.

Some background: He was adopted from the local animal shelter as a puppy and was labelled a border collie mix. Also, he's HUGE. I'm not sure how much he weighs but he is substantially bigger than the labs that go to the park. He is well past my knee in height. His coat is very thick.

He is also the calmest, most bombproof dog I've ever met. If I could pick a word to describe him, it would be steadfast. He is very good around dogs, kids, and people. With strangers he tends to ignore them, same with strange dogs. When he gets to know you, he's a very quiet kind of affectionate. He loves squirrels and will sit under a tree with a squirrel in it and just stare at it intently for hours if you'd let him. Just all in all a good old boy and an old soul.

And yes, he's FABULOUS with Mia, lol. She walks under him and kisses all over him and he just lets her. When Mia thought she was going to be attacked by a loose golden, Lucky jumped up and stood in between her and the charging dog. He let out a few barks and deterred the other dog. He's very protective of his papillon pals, lol. He's a very very good boy.

I don't have any shots of him standing because it was so hot today he didn't want to do much except lay in the shade lol.

He looks smaller here than he is (or Mia looks huge in this pic)

Proof of his calmness- Summer was literally spazzing over a treat in front of him and he just laid there.

He's always intrigued me. Obviously there's some sort of a herder in there. When I saw his pics first I thought border collie. When I met him my immediate thought was farm collie. Sometimes I even see Aussie too.

Last edited:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Hmmmm...he looks a rather like a heavy boned Chloe.

Chloe is a working Rough Collie/Aussie mix. She is really light and fine boned and only weighs 43 pounds, but both of her sisters I know are 50-60 pounds.

If he is large large boned, maybe he has some Pyr in him as well? There is a dog that looks similar to him at a local shelter right now. I pegged him as a Pyr/Collie mix.

Here he is:

And Chloe:

milos_mommy

He looks similar to a great pyrenes X bernese mix I know, actually. She's got sable coloring and looks more like a collie mixed with one of those than that actual mix, except for being close to 150 lbs.

My guess is collie X bernese.

My first reaction, especially with your description of his temperament, was "Aussie." :) Who knows what else is in there, if anything. There's a wide variance in Aussie looks.

Romy

Taxiderpy
My first reaction to the picture was rough collie mix. He looks very aussie too.

Some of the BYB rough collies are way over sized and heavy boned. I met a BYB male who was 85 lbs trim. He was a total moose.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I also thought rough collie mix. I can see Bernese Mt. Dog too possibly.
Maybe just a good ol' Heinz 57!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Thanks for the guesses! I can't see any rough collie, but I could buy english shepherd or aussie easily. Here's some new pics from today:

This is his 'crazy eyes'. Lol He sees a squirrel. He gets very very intense when he sees squirrels.

Is that not the funniest face?

Here he is standing:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
He could have Aussie, but I'm kind of leaning towards English Shepherd. Thanks to one crazy hoarder up in Montana or so, more and more people have these guys that shouldn't.

Romy

Taxiderpy
To me he looks very rough collie in the body. With collies pretty much zero BYB collies have correct heads, so especially in a mix you're not going to get anything like a "real" collie head.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Lol, maybe he IS a giant Mia:

That's both their squirrel faces. It's pretty easy to tell why those two are inseparable.

Members online

No members online now.