does food effect life span?

Maxy24

I've been recommending my friend switch her dog's food but her argument is that her last dog was fed this food and lived to be 14 and had no major health problems. So I was wondering if food actually affected life span or not. I don't think it does but I'm not really baseing that on anything. People have also said that on the food they are feeding their dogs have soft coats, do you think they really do or just that you don't know a really soft coat until you've felt your dog on a high quality food and they just thought it was soft because they have never felt a genuinly soft coat?

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
just like with us, food does effect our health, and therefor our lifespan.
my great grandmother is 97 and heatlhy. she drinks tons of coffee and has smoked since she was 16! how she is heatlhy i will never know. so that sorta leads me to think that diet doesnt effect life span, but i think i she is just lucky. imagen if she took care of herself, she could maybe live another 20 years! whoa she would be old!

anyway, i was just using my grandma as an example.

hanslynch

I think diet matters

I know your grandmother is 97 and smokes but it the sum total of everything that goes into her body, plus lifestyle and most importantly stress level.

If she is 97 she most be doing a lot of things right and only a couple of things wrong.

Herschel

I know your grandmother is 97 and smokes but it the sum total of everything that goes into her body, plus lifestyle and most importantly stress level.

If she is 97 she most be doing a lot of things right and only a couple of things wrong.
That's not exactly true.

There are people that can abuse their bodies and live perfectly well for a very long time. However, statistically, smoking/drinking/etc. decreases lifespan. You can indulge in those behaviors and take the chance that you will get lucky, but do you really want to find out the hard way that you're not an exception?

Same with dog foods. You could load your dog up with artificial preservatives and have him develop renal failure or cancer at age 8, or you could play it safe and feed a healthy diet.

Well first hand experience with major diet changes with my 3 dogs ( now 4 but cant use the fourth as he's only been here a few months.)
I fed Pedigree, UNTIL I started with my pet food interests and research.
After learning BUNDLES of information, I switched them to Solid Gold Wolf King,
Their energy levels skyrocketed and lasted so much longer, their coats became very glossy and vibrant looking, their poops shrunk and little infections cleared up ( yeast in ears)
After that I switched to RAW and now... the energy levels are even higher, their stamina is amazing, doggie smell has deteriorated, teeth are white and clean as a whistle, shedding has reduced considerably ( even though its now spring here) and their muscle mass is amazing.
Food makes the world of a difference with dogs as it does with humans, sure some dogs live long healthy lives on Ol' Roy or Pedigree, but until you see what YOUR dog will look like and act like on an all around GREAT food. You'll notice other dogs that clearly arent on a high quality kibble.
I see hundreds of dogs at work on a daily basis, and its amazing how for the most part, I can pick out the ones fed lower end foods. How?? Cause they look my dogs used to.

Members online

No members online now.