proper thing to do

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Ruckus starts chewing on the remote control, im on the other end of the room.

do clap my hands to startle him? do i sqeek a toy? or do i just take it away? take it away and so no?

i just want to know what is the best way to get him to stop doing something like: playing too hard with the rabbits, chewing on things, nipping me during play, etc.

i admit, i have been claping my hands together to get his attention and i say "cut it out"

Doberluv

I think that's fine what you're doing. I'd probably do the same thing. Gosh, it's a remote! We neeeeeeeed our remotes. I'd probably say, "eh-eh!" take it away and give him his own toy at the same time....a trade. And when he was chewing his own toy, I'd praise him lavishly and keep the remote out of his reach next time. I think just as long as you're not scaring the bejeezes out of him, interrupting him like that is fine.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
thanks!
no it doesnt scare him at all. it just makes him look at me like "mom what the heck is your problem"

Jynx

I don't tend to use the word "no" alot,,I use "leave it",,and I teach a "leave it"..with the remote, you could turn this around to your benefit,,when he has the remote, (have some really good treats with you on hand at ALL TIMES, hopefully he is food motivated?)

tell him to "leave it" or try getting him to bring it to you,,then take it away, reward..

I start setting him up with the remote,,maybe you have one that isn't working anymore? throw it on the floor, work on him "leaving it" and reward when he does..if he "touches" it,,I'd be going "ahahaha"..that kind of thing..

What your doing is fine, if its working!
diane

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I use leave it, also. Do something to get his attention... "ah-ah" works for me or if it's bad, a sharp "wrong" and a "leave it." :D Then, I take whatever they have away and give them something that they SHOULD have. :)

elegy

overdogged
my dogs don't often get into stuff they're not supposed to have, but when they do i usually whistle and call them to me. they know when i call them it means good stuff for dogs, so they generally come, either with or without the goods. then i can ask for a "give" and reward it with something- food, toy, wrestling, whatever.

Doberluv

I love "leave it." I use it for all kinds of things. Today, some guy came over and Lyric was sniffing his crotch. OMG. That's so embarrassing. I whispered to him like a ventrillaquist..... "Lyric, leave it." (trying to not make a big issue out of it and draw more attention to it....as if I hadn't noticed) LOL. He took one more good whif for the road and left it. LOL.

Yes, like Elegy said, if you offer something better, they learn to "leave it." However, I didn't have anything better this time. LOL.

DanL

One more vote for leave it. It'll work on the remote, the rabbits, just about anything they are getting into that you don't want them too. Probably not the best thing for when they are play biting your hands, that you'll need to work on separately.

W

whatszmatter

Leave it works, the clap will only work for a while, you could associate something with it like treats, otherwise your dog will learn the clap comes and she stops and you come take her "toy". At some point she'll be used to the clap and it won't startle her and she'll keep right on a going.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
the clap isnt working anymore! heres a senerio...

Ruckus is eating from the rabbits litter box. i clap and so "no"
He quickly grabs a mouth full after that and runs in his crate!!

so to him it doesnt mean stop.. it means hurry up! but that eh eh noise works :)

Doberluv

That's a hard one. Some dogs just can't resist those poops. I have one who dines on some kinds of poops. They're especially good in the snow...poopsicles. You'd almost be better off trying to prevent it in the first place or if you can't keep it away from him, you'd have to catch him every time and interrupt him BEFORE he gets to it, just while he's thinking about it, say "leave it" and give him something super yummy, a really good treat and praise for leaving it. But again...that's one of those self rewarding things and they're really hard to train. You almost have to manage it by keeping him from the litter box probably.

Members online

No members online now.