wtf is this? :S

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
So my bf is now telling me he was talking to his neighbor and there is a bug going around his town thats killing dogs under 18 months. apprently, most dogs under 18 months cant fight it off because of their immuine system.
Since the summer its death toll in a small town is 13 dogs under the age of 18 months. Older dogs can get it but fight it off. Shots dont protect them and its carried in their saliva. (This info is from a vet that my bf sneighbor was talking to.)

Thats pretty much all the info i have, and its pretty vague but any ideas? Pretty sure the name of it was given to the neighbor but she couldnt remember or something. I wanna research it as we have a 9 month old lab puppy to worry about :/

MicksMom

Well, until I got to this part, I was thinking Parvo.

...Shots dont protect them and its carried in their saliva. (This info is from a vet that my bf sneighbor was talking to.)...
The saliva things sounds like Rabies, but that's preventable with the vaccine (so is Parvo). Are you sure your bf hasn't mixed some things up?

Brattina88

I was thinking the same thing (parvo)... until you hit the vaccination part.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Except there are shots to protect them from distemper as well.

:confused:
Can you at least find out the symptoms?

Grab

I'd want to know the symptoms as well. It does sound like Distemper or Parvo.

I hate hearsay on diseases and such, since misinformation can spread quickly. "shots don't protect them" could mean one person's puppy died having had one shot, but not the entire series. I can't count how many people think that a pup is fully vaccinated when they've had their first Parvo vax...

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
Im going to try to talk to his neighbor mysef on thursday, i know how fast information can be mixed up going from one person to the other. When I call him tonight i'll ask if he knows the symptoms.

I was thinking parvo or distemper as well, and like you guys i was stumped when he said Vacccinations dont prevent it.

Now it is quite possible he has mixed some things up .He is a man after all and tends to only pay half attention to what people are saying :eek:

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
I don't know much about 'dog flu' (H3N3) but it might be worth looking into. Was an outbreak or two last year (or perhaps earlier this year) and IIRC it had the same presentation.

Oh H3N8 too, which was what I was originally thinking of but couldn't recall the number at the time. It's the more fatal version.

Last edited:

Members online