Hernias ?

Hazie

Hi there I would like some advice please about Hernia's?

My 7 year old, spayed and perfectly healthy dog got a hernia a week ago its an Inguinal Hernia.
I left my dogs in kennels for just over 2 weeks while I went away to Holland (normally leave them with a home dog sitter but she was not free) and I came back to find a HUGE lump in her stomach, I go straight to the vets and her blood work is perfect and she has this hernia and the operate right away and now a week in to the op and she is healing well, had her check up today. Now the reason they believe as they can see in the xray she is VERY constipated and they believe it was this. I guess the kennel maids were not doing their jobs well enough.

What I do not understand is that how easily can she get the hernia back? is it a matter of jumping up after she is recovered fully from this operation? or if she pulls on a lead? I hope I am making sense here

Here is bessie recovering, bless her she is such a brave thing.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Yes, jumping around can tear the internal stitches and the hernia will return. The healing period is long, and she has to be under strict rest and no running.

Hazie

Thank you :)

So after the recovery then can she be able to run? and I know this sounds stupid but what about Barking?
I just am very worried about it returning!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Yes, after she is fully recovered you can start allowing her more excerise, starting slowly and building it up. Barking is fine, but she should not really feel the need to bark.

Hazie

She only barks at if someone rings my door bell! But thanks again pleased to here that she will be able to go back to her long walks again when she is recovered !

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
My Chloe had a hernia (lining was torn in a dog attack, and her intestines were coming out) and she healed for a few weeks, (very scary recovery, we slept on the floor with her, and watched her all day, making sure she was breathing, and making sure she was okay -- the whole experience scared us to death) and then our vet gave the ok for her to go up and down stairs, run, etc. I'm so sorry about what happened to your dog! I'm glad she's ok. :)

Members online

No members online now.