Neutering

Ivy

Not sure what section to post this in.

Tynan will be a year in December. I know it's better to wait in neutering a large breed dog. Does it matter once a dog is 1 year old to get snipped or better to wait until 2 years?
Tynan has not shown any signs of needing to be neutered right away, but i'm afraid of the way Lincoln has been behaving around him as of late. The other day they 'almost' got into a fight. Nothing like this has ever happened (so far) but I was suspectiong it would eventually. I have mentioned in the past that Lincoln is a bit of a bully when it comes to play time with Tynan. It feels like he's trying to push Tynan too far sometimes and Tynan has been more than patient with Lincoln's bullying. (not too sure if I should call it bullying...) But over the week-end we were outside and Tynan didn't want to play with Lincoln, but he kept putting Tynan down. So Tynan finally snapped on him (no contact, just a lot of noise and air snapping). That's not what has me concerned though, it was that Lincoln fought back when Tynan is giving him a VERY clear message that he's not interested in wrestling.

Do you think that could be the cause of Lincolns behaviour? Should I just get him neutered now? Would it even make a difference now?

What breed/size is Tynan?
Large breeds are usually over 50lb. and I can't tell but he looks like a pit bull?
I'd do it now that he's a year if he's not over 50lb (or only over 50lb. because he's overweight).

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Lincoln might be responding to the increasing testosterone in Tynan. At 1 year old, he should be ok to be snipped, though I think I would be dealing more with Lincoln being an asshat towards Tynan than worrying about the neuter.

Ivy

Lincoln might be responding to the increasing testosterone in Tynan. At 1 year old, he should be ok to be snipped, though I think I would be dealing more with Lincoln being an asshat towards Tynan than worrying about the neuter.
Yup, I'm definately not happy about Lincoln's behaviour since he moved in. I was just wondering if Lincoln's bad behaviour increasing could be because of Tynan not being neutered yet. I was hoping to snip Tynan at 2 years.

Ivy

What breed/size is Tynan?
Large breeds are usually over 50lb. and I can't tell but he looks like a pit bull?
I'd do it now that he's a year if he's not over 50lb (or only over 50lb. because he's overweight).
Tynan is a lab/st bernard. He weighs just over 100lbs and he's 11 months old.
Tynan is not overweight either.:)

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I think it's more likely that they're both mentally maturing and setting limits within their relationship towards each other. This would happen snipped or unsnipped. Bottom line if they're being A holes to each other you need to supervise and set clearer boundaries. I don't suggest neutering large male dogs until they're 2-3 years old unless they have a retained testicle, are a rescue, there is even the half idea that they might get out of the yard, or there is a use based reason.

Being a jerk towards another dog isn't always a intact or neutered thing. Even my boy and elder girl who was neutered early can play reindeer games with the best of them. It's a home structure thing. If you don't put up with that kind of behavior for the small things it's less likely to manifest in a bigger way. If not you may find yourself in a position with two dogs who can't be together. Just don't wait for a dog fight to make those management decisions.

Taqroy

It feels like he's trying to push Tynan too far sometimes and Tynan has been more than patient with Lincoln's bullying. (not too sure if I should call it bullying...) But over the week-end we were outside and Tynan didn't want to play with Lincoln, but he kept putting Tynan down. So Tynan finally snapped on him (no contact, just a lot of noise and air snapping). That's not what has me concerned though, it was that Lincoln fought back when Tynan is giving him a VERY clear message that he's not interested in wrestling.
Just want to say that Lincoln's behavior is exactly what Murphy does to (certain) other male dogs. I've noticed that he escalates when there is something very very exciting going on. I don't know of an effective way of preventing him from doing it, so if you find one I'd LOVE to hear it.

Being a jerk towards another dog isn't always a intact or neutered thing. Even my boy and elder girl who was neutered early can play reindeer games with the best of them. It's a home structure thing. If you don't put up with that kind of behavior for the small things it's less likely to manifest in a bigger way. If not you may find yourself in a position with two dogs who can't be together. Just don't wait for a dog fight to make those management decisions.
How do you suggest that she doesn't put up with it? I don't really understand what you're recommending.

Ivy

Just want to say that Lincoln's behavior is exactly what Murphy does to (certain) other male dogs. I've noticed that he escalates when there is something very very exciting going on. I don't know of an effective way of preventing him from doing it, so if you find one I'd LOVE to hear it.
How do you suggest that she doesn't put up with it? I don't really understand what you're recommending.

I have done a bunch of research and was speaking to many people and came to the conclusion that Lincoln is an overstimulated dog with NO boundaries. That is why we haven't been able to get through to him effectively; because he can't hear us when he gets in 'that' mode. I have read many articles and picked out different exercises we will be putting into effect immediately. Lincoln is my hubby's dog, he had him before we met and know that he is living in a multi-dog household it's making him over-excited. Also, before Lincoln moved into my house he was an only dog with no set boundaries by my hubby and his family. Lincoln would simply grumble at them and they would do as he said whenever he said. They might as well been asking the dog "how high do you want me to jump?" He had no schedule, no structure, no boundaries and was not taught to have manners. He was pretty much housetrained and taught to sit, lay down and paw and that's it and given praise for being pretty. Yes loving your dog is good, but he needs to act like a good boy to be told he is IMHO.
I like the concept of crate training (when used properly) because it also serves as a time-out and also works as a dogs personal space. Tynan LOVES his crate and even sleeps in it even though he doesn't have to.
Either way, Lincoln is not crate trained and has never been given proper time-outs. All in all, I am going to treat him like a puppy (even though he will be 2 years soon)

Sorry about the long post, but maybe that is what's going on with Murphy, he's overstimulated and over excited. I can send you some of the articles I was reading if you want. Let me know:)

Last edited:

Ivy

I think it's more likely that they're both mentally maturing and setting limits within their relationship towards each other. This would happen snipped or unsnipped. Bottom line if they're being A holes to each other you need to supervise and set clearer boundaries. I don't suggest neutering large male dogs until they're 2-3 years old unless they have a retained testicle, are a rescue, there is even the half idea that they might get out of the yard, or there is a use based reason.

I never said I was going to put up with it. I don't know where that came from. If I was putting up with it I wouldn't be here asking questions :)

Taqroy

I have done a bunch of research and was speaking to many people and came to the conclusion that Lincoln is an overstimulated dog with NO boundaries. That is why we haven't been able to get through to him effectively; because he can't hear us when he gets in 'that' mode. I have read many articles and picked out different exercises we will be putting into effect immediately. Lincoln is my hubby's dog, he had him before we met and know that he is living in a multi-dog household it's making him over-excited. Also, before Lincoln moved into my house he was an only dog with no set boundaries by my hubby and his family. Lincoln would simply grumble at them and they would do as he said whenever he said. They might as well been asking the dog "how high do you want me to jump?" He had no schedule, no structure, no boundaries and was not taught to have manners. He was pretty much housetrained and taught to sit, lay down and paw and that's it and given praise for being pretty. Yes loving your dog is good, but he needs to act like a good boy to be told he is IMHO.
I like the concept of crate training (when used properly) because it also serves as a time-out and also works as a dogs personal space. Tynan LOVES his crate and even sleeps in it even though he doesn't have to.
Either way, Lincoln is not crate trained and has never been given proper time-outs. All in all, I am going to treat him like a puppy (even though he will be 2 years soon)

Sorry about the long post, but maybe that is what's going on with Murphy, he's overstimulated and over excited. I can send you some of the articles I was reading if you want. Let me know:)
I definitely think that's part of what Murph's deal is. I would love to see those articles!! And I know what you mean about that mode...I call it the squirrel zone because the same thing happens when Murph is after a squirrel in the backyard lol. You should keep us updated on your progress with Lincoln, I'm very interested to see what you can do with him as far as managing/mitigating the behavior. :)

Members online

No members online now.