Can you guess what breed of dog is this?

There are plenty of people here who know pitbulls well.

Gee, I hope it doesn't look like I don't think there are people here who know pitbulls. :eek: I'm sorry if it looked like that. It just seemed like Bowowee wanted more opinions and I thought he might get some more on the pit bull forum.

Bowowee

Bulacan Pitbull Club
Saje said:
There are plenty of people here who know pitbulls well. I guess that is a pitbull then Bowowee? Why don't you tell the story behind it?
This Pitbull is owned by Dr. Jay Geronimo, President of the Philippine Pitbull Club. This dog earned his Champ title in one of the Pitbull Clubs here. A lot of Pitbull experts and enthusiast here are claiming that this dog is a crossbreed and if ever it is a pitbull, it does not deserve to be champ. I can't post this question in the local forums coz I dont want to cause any turmoil. That why I'm askin for you comments here. Since the peeps at chaz are neutral and experts when it comes to dogs. Please help. Thank you.

Saje

Island dweller
Well I don't show but doesn't he need papers to prove that he is a purebred?

Bowowee

Bulacan Pitbull Club
Saje said:
Well I don't show but doesn't he need papers to prove that he is a purebred?
The dog is UKC registered. Thats why I'm puzzled why he looks different. A lot of peeps both in my place and also here at Chaz made comments that he has neo mastiff blood in him, some are saying that he is amstaff, and some peeps even said that he is part sharpei.

Cassiepeia

Chihuahua Mum
What ever he is he clearly doesn't conform to the standard you posted. His head looks too big and almost out of proportion (at least IMO), his feet look to me like they're flat and splayed and his lips certainly don't look 'clean & tight'. He also looks too heavy.

I'm no judge but he just doesn't seem like he should have won anything in conformation.

Cass.

Chrissy&B

Bowowee said:
The dog is UKC registered. Thats why I'm puzzled why he looks different. A lot of peeps both in my place and also here at Chaz made comments that he has neo mastiff blood in him, some are saying that he is amstaff, and some peeps even said that he is part sharpei.
Hey, I have a question.... Since Philipines are a member of FCI and
therefore this is the only official registry there (same as Europe and other countries) I was wondering how come this breed that is not recognized by either one of major registries (such as FCI, KC, AKC) can actually be shown? All the European shows (Asian as well) are held and jidged by FCI, so I'm a bit confused :confused: ....... what is UKC? I have never heard of it, so can someone explain? :) If your dog is registered by this club, can you show him on all the major shows such as Crufts, Westminster and such?

Bowowee

Bulacan Pitbull Club
Chrissy&B said:
Hey, I have a question.... Since Philipines are a member of FCI and
therefore this is the only official registry there (same as Europe and other countries) I was wondering how come this breed that is not recognized by either one of major registries (such as FCI, KC, AKC) can actually be shown? All the European shows (Asian as well) are held and jidged by FCI, so I'm a bit confused :confused: ....... what is UKC? I have never heard of it, so can someone explain? :) If your dog is registered by this club, can you show him on all the major shows such as Crufts, Westminster and such?
Philippine Canine Club Incorpoted is a member of FCI. The local pitbull clubs here are not in anyway affiliated with PCCI. UKC is also a big club in the US like AKC. I dont know if they're also a member of FCI. To find out more about UKC you may go to www.ukcdogs.com

The local pitbull clubs has no UKC affiliation yet but they are currently workin on it. We've been using the UKC Standard as basis for the judging.

Chrissy&B

But as far as I know, the only registry worth registering your dogs with (I'm talking about US now) is AKC. This is the only one that is accepted by FCI or KC in UK. All official dog shows are held by either one of theose registries, so I'd only trust them,,...... after all, they are the ones that have long tradition and they are the ones who basically wrote down all the standards. But as I am realizing these days, there are loads of clubs being established over night and for a certain fee you can register any dog you want.
FCI tracks generations back and you actually know where your dog comes from. :) I was just a bit surprised how anyone can just start a new Club and that's it. Interesting!!! Well, I still trust the good old FCI the most :D ...... at least I know that it's been there for ages and it will probably be there in the future as well.

Bowowee

Bulacan Pitbull Club
Chrissy&B said:
But as far as I know, the only registry worth registering your dogs with (I'm talking about US now) is AKC. This is the only one that is accepted by FCI or KC in UK. All official dog shows are held by either one of theose registries, so I'd only trust them,,...... after all, they are the ones that have long tradition and they are the ones who basically wrote down all the standards. But as I am realizing these days, there are loads of clubs being established over night and for a certain fee you can register any dog you want.
FCI tracks generations back and you actually know where your dog comes from. :) I was just a bit surprised how anyone can just start a new Club and that's it. Interesting!!! Well, I still trust the good old FCI the most :D ...... at least I know that it's been there for ages and it will probably be there in the future as well.
Here's an info about UKC, got it from their website.
United Kennel Club...who we are...

With 300,000 registrations annually, the United Kennel Club is the world’s largest performance dog registry and second oldest all-breed registry in the United States. Founded in 1898, the UKC has supported the "Total Dog" philosophy through its events and programs for over a century. As a departure from registries that place emphasis on a dog’s looks, UKC events are designed for dogs that look and perform equally well.

Our mission is to be the world's best registry of purebred dogs, to offer our customers the most efficient and creative services possible, to use our data to help our customers breed the best dogs in the world and to create a wide spectrum of performance and conformation events in which those dogs can prove their instincts and heritage.

The programs at UKC include Obedience Trials, Agility Trials, Weight Pull Events, Terrier Races, Earth Work Events, Total Junior Program, Dog Sports (including Family Obedience), Coonhound Field Trials, Water Races, Nite Hunts and Bench Shows, Hunt Tests for retrieving breeds, Pointing Dog Events, Beagle Events (including Hunts and Bench Shows, and Cur and Feist Squirrel and Coon Events and Bench Shows.

Rounding out the 'Total Dog' package, UKC Conformation Events are among our largest growing events. UKC dog shows are family events designed by and for the breeder-owner-handler. Professional Handlers are not eligible to exhibit dogs for others at UKC Conformation Events. At UKC dog shows, the emphasis is on the DOG, not the SHOW.

Part of our mission is to have events where all dogs can compete. In addition to our purebred dog registry, United Kennel Club offers a Limited Privilege program. The Limited Privilege is open to all dogs that are spayed/neutered. This includes mixed breed dogs, purebred dogs of unknown pedigree, and purebred dogs with disqualifying faults as described in the UKC breed standards. The programs open to Limited Privilege dogs are Obedience Trials, Weight Pulls, Agility Trials, Total Junior Program and Dog Sports (including Family Obedience).

It is our firm belief that the right balance between performance and conformation results in healthier happier dogs for everyone. We are proud that we share that same philosophy with our growing number of dedicated participants.

Essentially, the UKC world of dogs is a working world. That's the way it was developed over a century ago, and that's the way it remains today.

Its a little offtopic. Thanks for your comment though.

The UKC is the second oldest all breed club in the U.S. It was founded in 1898 so it's been around for awhile and I doubt it will be going anywhere any time soon.

The programs at UKC include Obedience Trials, Agility Trials, Weight Pull Events, Terrier Races, Earth Work Events, Total Junior Program, Dog Sports (including Family Obedience), Coonhound Field Trials, Water Races, Nite Hunts and Bench Shows, Hunt Tests for retrieving breeds, Pointing Dog Events, Beagle Events (including Hunts and Bench Shows, and Cur and Feist Squirrel and Coon Events and Bench Shows.
It doesn't seem like a bad registry to me like the ones that register mixes. Just because the AKC doesn't recognize the APBT doesn't mean that it isn't a breed worth being shown.

R

rottiegirl

I think that dog is a horrible specimen of the breed. He is way too bulky, and bull dog looking. His head is too blocky. Pits are supposed to be athletic and quick on their feet. That dog is not pure pit in my opinion.

I wonder how much he weighs. Looks to be atleast over 80 pounds. That is pretty sad. Here is the problem... people want bigger dogs now days. Its all about looks. They want pit bullls to look more like slow mastiffs than quick terriers. I dont know why they call am staffs terriers anymore.

Poor bloodlines are ruining the pit bull breed. Razors edge and gotti line are two of the most popular lines, but they are two of the worst lines out there.

Bowowee

Bulacan Pitbull Club
rottiegirl said:
I think that dog is a horrible specimen of the breed. He is way too bulky, and bull dog looking. His head is too blocky. Pits are supposed to be athletic and quick on their feet. That dog is not pure pit in my opinion.

I wonder how much he weighs. Looks to be atleast over 80 pounds. That is pretty sad. Here is the problem... people want bigger dogs now days. Its all about looks. They want pit bullls to look more like slow mastiffs than quick terriers. I dont know why they call am staffs terriers anymore.

Poor bloodlines are ruining the pit bull breed. Razors edge and gotti line are two of the most popular lines, but they are two of the worst lines out there.
Thanks for your comment Rottie. I'm learning a lot here.

Members online

No members online now.