Is your dog also your favorite breed?

I do love Astro and a lot of the traits I like about him are Shar Pei traits. But, I can't say that Pei are my favorite breed yet. I've specifically sought them out to meet so I can have as many known examples as possible, and they do have a fair amount of what I'm looking for, but I also have somewhat varied tastes. I've loved Dobermans forever, and I continue to love - and love working with - every single one I meet. There's something about Doberman neuroses that I can stand so much more than other type/breed neuroses :rofl1:

I will say that I used to want to try 8 billion breeds for the sake of curiosity and experience, but now I'm much more open to picking one or a few and sticking with what works. No more herders for me, no matter how pretty or how good a sport prospect.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Add me to the list of folks that don't have one favorite breed.

There are so many different types of dogs and I like different things about different dogs.

I do love Shar Peis...have for a long time. Menchi has cemented that love :)

I enjoy basenjis... Watson is a character. Being around so many of them over the last couple of years has really been amazing. I am glad I got to meet and befriend Watson's breeder and through her experience more about these little dogs.

Recently I met a Spanish Mastiff...so amazing. He was a really incredible and stable dog.

I have had several cocker spaniels...loved them all! Such quirky little dogs.

I can not choose just one breed :)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Siri is my favorite dog. I don't know that I have a favorite breed.

I am definitely a terrier person, and would like to always have one. But I also want other dogs, and would not be happy if I could *only* own terriers forever.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Kind of?

I am very much a Retriever person, but I've met plenty of other dogs of various breeds and mixes that have the same quality/personality that draws me to Retrievers, so...

But, yes, I suppose so. Although Labradors still hold my heart.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I love Izzie to the moon and back. She's perfect. But I couldn't ever find another Pug like her and when people ask me if i'm going to get another Pug, I say definitely not. I don't care for Pugs as a whole. It might be the people in the breed that just don't care about anything more than keeping them "cobby" and "big boned", but I just don't like the breed anymore. If i could have one million Izzies I would though because she thinks she's a herder/terrier/retriever anyways and not a toy dog.

pinkspore

Bat Ears Only
I'm pretty sure I could own heelers forever and be happy. I definitely prefer herders over anything else, though I kind of like having an easy dog as well. Also I would love something that needs more grooming. An Aussie or BC is not out of the question.

I also think mixes totally count, for me. Brisbane is only half heeler, but his temperament and drive are all heeler and so he counts as one according to all the cattledog people we've encountered. The big difference is how neurotic he is, and how easily traumatized when he's not in drive mode.

So my favorite breed is "Australian cattledog or herding mix thereof". Brisbane and Ulysses both count.

I have very mixed feelings about chihuahuas ranging from affection to extermination. They are not my favorite anything. Some chihuahuas are really dogs. Ru is not really a dog.

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Nola is my favorite dog, my heart dog, but the dachshund breed is not my favorite. She's everything I could ask for, probably because she doesn't act like an average dachshund.

Pike (MAS) is one of my favorite breeds. There's a few things I'd change (mostly that bark, and I'd like to shower without him staring at me), but I enjoy the breed.

I have several breeds I like, but no favorites.

Koolies are as of right now my favorite breed. Or at least the breed that seems to fit me the best. Other breeds have dogs in them that would fit me but as a group it seems Koolies and I click, or at least the line of Koolies I have.

But, there are other breeds that certainly make me interested!

I will never have another coydog or hybrid of any type. I love Gambit to pieces, but he's a weird animal and always will be. I don't think that sort of breeding is fair to the animals produced, or the people who are not prepared to take them on (or maybe that should be in the controversial topics one).

I adore my whippitus. I don't think I will ever be without one, though Dekka is right, he is a giant weenie. I'm hoping to at another next summer/fall.

The Quid is a love and has been an awesome experience, but I would never seek out a breed bred for guardiness. I have always suspected they are not for me, and he confirms it.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I would say that I can't classify them as my favorite breed, border collies are definitely near the top of my list. Talon is not my perfect dog though, there is two things in his personality I would do without. But overall we mesh really well together.

I will definitely be owning other breeds though, I like a bit of variety ^_^

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Though I wouldn't rule out owning other breeds of herders or an American Bulldog, ACDs is by far my favorite and I can't imagine myself without one. Between Tulsa, Story and the rest of my breeder's dogs and others I have met, yeah. They are perfect. I could definitely see myself breeding somewhere way down the line.

I own one reputable bred girly, Tulsa, and I have one rescue boy who I'm pretty sure is a mix. When I was researching and getting ready to add my first herder, many people told me to go for a "softer" ACD/BC mix. I don't regret it, as Rider has taught me a bunch, but it is not something I would seek out again.

Boxers are not a favorite breed of mine. They are gorgeous, but we are not a good fit.

SpringerLover

ESS appear to be my favorite breed. I am pretty sure I could be happy with springers forever. If not just springers, definitely spaniels in general.

yv0nne

Vizsla mom
Love my pretty Vizzy :) she is definitely my favourite breed.. it's a joint position looking to be filled by a herder breed in the near future. I have to own one before deciding if it's my favourite breed. I don't think I could say a dog was a favourite breed never having had sustained interaction with it!

I am on my 4th and 5th border collie and just love them, even their weird quirks. When I get too old to have young BCs I will just have retired/rehome senior citizen ones!

I would not have a Brittany for myself and the things I like to do with dogs (take them anywhere, trust them to stay close by offlead, the sports I prefer are easier with BC etc) if my husband didn't have one. For what he likes to do, hunting mainly and also field trials, she is great. There are probably easier hunting breeds to own in my opinion (I thought an ESS would be better for example) but they get on great. To be fair, I would also say he would not choose to have BCs if I didn't have them.

Members online

No members online now.