Ding Dong Gone Wrong

I know this is a bit crude, but I'm not sure how to put it politely either...my 8-9mo chows penis is disgusting. He all most always has his "lipstick' hanging out, not full out but at least the tip and usually it grows when he sits, etc. I have had males since I was 16 and I have NEVER had one stick out like this, even when young and discovering their newborn hormones...I've seen them pop out a lot when they are sitting, but this one is out when he is standing, walking, laying [not as much, as sleep seems to be a no dong zone], sitting. It's not 100% but close. It has a bit of a metallic smell too, which I thought infection but he's not peeing any more or less, no pain, etc.

I was considering waiting to have him fixed around 2 to give his growth plates time, but I think I may push that up. Or can anyone tell me if something is going on that I'm not realizing? Is it just super hormones [he is a more dominant dog, he is also the first dog I've had to hump things at 8 weeks...though I am told this does happen, we worked through it and it's rare he tries to make love to legs or objects these days]? Or should I be more concerned than I am, because right now I just think it's icky and tired of having convos about people noticing his over active penis. :p

Have your vet take a look. He may have paraphimosis. Sometimes hair or the shape of the opening of the sheath make it very difficult for a dog to withdraw his penis. If it is literally NEVER fully in the sheath, I would get it looked at ASAP - it can cause serious problems.

Edit: Also wanted to add the arousal can cause the penis to protrude. 'Arousal' doesn't necessarily mean sexually excited. Meeting new dogs, new people, going to new places, playing, getting ready for supper, seeing a squirrel, etc - all these things increase arousal. Different dogs show it in different ways, and yours might just let his junk hang out. If that's the case, there's not much you can do about it. Don't be embarrassed, he's a dog! :)

Have your vet take a look. He may have paraphimosis. Sometimes hair or the shape of the opening of the sheath make it very difficult for a dog to withdraw his penis. If it is literally NEVER fully in the sheath, I would get it looked at ASAP - it can cause serious problems.

Edit: Also wanted to add the arousal can cause the penis to protrude. 'Arousal' doesn't necessarily mean sexually excited. Meeting new dogs, new people, going to new places, playing, getting ready for supper, seeing a squirrel, etc - all these things increase arousal. Different dogs show it in different ways, and yours might just let his junk hang out. If that's the case, there's not much you can do about it. Don't be embarrassed, he's a dog! :)
Thanks Straw, I will have the vet check it out to be on the safe side. He does seem to pop it out during more stimulated moments [which are A LOT, leaves blowing across the road will excite him...we've actually had to work on walking away because he goes into such a crazy state]. I actually wrote it in my original post, but took it out because I tend to write too much [like now]. So if that's the case, getting him fixed probably won't matter much? My past males have always stopped hanging out as much after a fix, but like I said, none have been as drastic as this.

The hanging out does embarrass me a bit, but you are right...he's a dog, doing dog things and I need to just ignore people's comments.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
My sister's sheltie was one of those who got excited quite easily. Luckily we normally didn't notice it because of all the fur, but he had a major skin issue once and the vet recommended shaving his fur all really short... and that's when we noticed he was excited very very often. He was neutered shortly after they got him from sheltie rescue, so not sure of the age, but maybe 4-5. He was much older when he had the skin problems and we noticed his lipstick hung out a lot, probably around 10. I don't think the two are related.

He is a chow, so hopefully when he gets more coat you will not notice it quite as much!

My sister's sheltie was one of those who got excited quite easily. Luckily we normally didn't notice it because of all the fur, but he had a major skin issue once and the vet recommended shaving his fur all really short... and that's when we noticed he was excited very very often. He was neutered shortly after they got him from sheltie rescue, so not sure of the age, but maybe 4-5. He was much older when he had the skin problems and we noticed his lipstick hung out a lot, probably around 10. I don't think the two are related.

He is a chow, so hopefully when he gets more coat you will not notice it quite as much!
Thanks for the reply Beanie. If the vet rules out health problems [which I suspect she will], then I will just have to learn to have a sense of humor about it. You were def lucky to have the hair of the sheltie to hide it, though did you ever notice an odor...I do wonder about if that's healthy or not. I've had chows since I was 12 and go figure the first smooth coated I get is the one to do this. lol Ah well, that's how it goes.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask... is the metallic odor sort of wafting up to you, or are you, uh, bending down to sniff it?

I have that image in my head and it had be chuckling - thanks, I needed it! :)

(PS good luck with the leaf excitement!)

lol No I am not bending down to wiff it at all...it's not a smell I care for. :thumbdown:

Ha on the leaf excitement...our last adventure was jumping out a partially open car window [I didn't think it was wide enough, but surprise!] after a leaf blowing down side of highway. Thank goodness I was stopped at the moment and able to grab the lead [he was unharmed].

Saeleofu

I think a trip to the vet is in order, too. If your vet rules out any medical cause, a well-aimed spray bottle filled with ice water does wonders for teaching them to keep their penises to themselves.

Mach1girl

Sammys' "ding dong" is always out as well....ALWAYS. I had him neutered Monday, and it's still out.

Zhucca

Lab Love
Some dogs are just like that. Boomers is always out when he sits. Allllwaayss.

But whatever, he's a dog. If he's gonna let his lipstick hang out, whatever.

People sometimes mention it to me but I just say "Why are you looking at my dogs penis?" And that usually makes them embarrassed enough to never mention it again.

Of course if your puppy is always having the tip exposed, that's not good. It might be really uncomfortable to him. My friends dog has paraphimosis and his lipstick will get stuck if he gets too excited, and that sucks for everyone involved, because it usually involves lubing it up a bit (with water) and helping it back into the sheath. Just thank you don't have to do that!

Members online

No members online now.