The biggest loser

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
does anyone watch this show?

I like Jillian Micheal's workout videos so I started watching the show out of curiosity and am a bit..horrified. Maybe I am being too sensitive? I dunno..

Anyone who would care to watch the first episode of the 7th season: http://youtu.be/ODhWUruqwKE

it just seems like although exercise and healthy eating choices are taught and explained.. is all the humiliation really necessary??

"You are the heaviest woman ever on this show, how do you feel?"
"Everyone seems so big this year"
"how do you feel about that number up there?"
*lets watch them run around a gym without trainers the first day and see what they do! haha they don't know what to use anything!*
The camera actually SHAKES (like a huge fake earthquake) when they weigh in. LIKE SERIOUSLY?!

I dunno... I just feels like this is not a pretty positive side of the health world.
but so many people like this show so I feel like maybe I am just jumping in at a weird time or am overthinking things because I'm sensitive about my weight issues..

Picklepaige

Yeah, my family is really into it, and I catch pieces here and there, and it seems so...cruel sometimes. It's great that they want to lose weight because they are not happy with their bodies, but is all the shaming necessary?

LauraLeigh

I get that "pushing" people helps sometimes, but I agree on the level...

I couldn't do Jillian's style, I admire her... But her hard-nosed approach would literally crush me..

Bob I could handle, he's blunt but doesn't seem near as cruel...

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I am totally fine with tough coaching styles and would be ok with her (even in her kind of crazy pushiness) lol though I agree he does seem a bit less intense!

I do NEED to be pushed and I get that many of these people do as well..but I feel like there are some aspects of the show that serve no purpose other than humiliation of the contestants for entertainment value.
and I just don't think shame and humiliation are really the key to permanent lifestyle changes..

The way the weigh ins are done.. kind of playing down people that are in pain or throwing up as just being lazy.. I mean come on now

LauraLeigh

Yeah, I hear you... ESP early in the show, my first walk, I'm ashamed to admit I pushed myself power walking and threw up after..... I think that's normal sometimes... I also wonder early on how good it can be on their hearts etc to push so freakin hard?

My Dr gave my Royal crap for that, he said to push but not to the point I'm doing more bad than good in stress on my body....

Oko

Silence, peasants.
I haven't watched the show before, so I clicked on your link. In the opening intro where she's yelling at the people at home, I felt like saying 'OMG I'M SORRY I'LL CHANGE.' even though I am a perfectly healthy weight. So that was terrifying. :rofl1:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
The show has gotten a lot of criticism from past contestants for basically replacing their old unhealthy habits (overeating, lack of exercise) with new unhealthy habits (OVERexercising, starvation diets.) At least one person has given an interview talking about how her self-esteem became extremely warped and she would have MAJOR anxiety if she wasn't able to work out because EVERYTHING hinged on that workout!!!

I'm not a fan.

Members online

No members online now.