HELP!If not remediated, we may have to give up our dog!

Hi everyone! Please HELP! Our dog pees submissively everytime my husband tries to pet her. He is so loving and gentle, but she's a rescue dog that was abused and we've had her for 6 months and it's not getting better although he has been so gentle and careful with her. Our carpet is really suffering and if it continues we can't really keep her considering we rent and we can't keep ruining landlords' carpets! HELP US! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Let me guess - it was probably a man who abused her. Serena's absolutely right (BTW - glad to see you posting again, Serena, you've been missed!)

If your dog isn't too big, you might try holding her in your lap (maybe with a towel under her) and having your husband sit next to you, talking to her in a very soft, quiet voice, giving her little tidbits of some special treat.

It will also help her if your husband feeds her at least part of the time and if he will play with her outside and/or take her for walks. He might want to start a habit of saving her a last bite of his food and sharing it with her; that's a tremendous bonding behaviour among dogs, and will help establish him in her mind as her pack leader, someone who will protect her and take care of her, not hurt her.

It's not just her lack of self esteem that needs to be addressed, but her fear of men. It may not even be all men; your husband may physically resemble someone who abused her or have a similar voice or smell. She needs a chance to learn that he is going to take care of her and not hurt her.

By the way, for the carpet, a solution of oxygen cleaner works wonders, then follow it up with an odor neutralizing cleaner (you can find good ones specifically for animal accidents at a pet supply store). When the problem is solved you'll probably want to shampoo the carpet, but cleaning it like that should keep you from having to lose your damage deposit.

Hi LisaLovesSuki,
Welcome to the Chazhound Dog Forums! We are glad to have you join.
Be sure to post a pic in our gallery :)

Tell your husband to take the dog on long walks in the woods or
a park away from the house whenever possible. The longer the better.
It will force the dog to trust your husband and allow some quality time
for fun too. Throw a ball, just let him lead and explore, get him around
peeps if he is tame, and give him little treats as you go for little rewards.
After a few times the problem should get much better.

Also, make sure your husband isn't ever yelling around the dog, or acting
in a mad manner around the dog if possible for awhile. The dog may think
anything negitive is directed at him and will be a setback. Special dogs
deserve special care sometimes.

Chazhound

Sheba

I W A L R
say to your parents that you want to keep your dog and raise your grades in school!!!seeee im in a new school!!!ALL of my grades are past 100%seeeeee what grade are you in??????? I dont even study and i STILL get a 100%!!!!!

Thanks Everyone!

Thx to everyone who replied! We will definately take your advice because we just want to be able to keep her! THANKS A MILLION!!!! :)

Members online