Do you have to urinate on saddle pads?

Alrighty, Since I own a horse I obviously have to go to the barn to ride. So yesterday I go to the barn and put 2 of my new white saddle pads on top of a empty bag so they wouldn't get dirty. Alright, well this is where the problem comes. This jack russel, Finnigan urinates on saddle pads,{witch I, ofcourse did not know} So he comes along and decideds to lift the leg. Aggravating, very aggravating. So I come home and stick them in the wash, exc:

The point is, How do you train a dog not to pee on saddle pads, a.k.a, a little tap on the nose does not affect his behavior. Help?

mrose_s

BusterLove
It is prpbably markign because its something new. I'm not sure what you could do about it except to be careful to catch him in the act and send him out or soemthing. Oe is there anywhere high up you coudl put them?

We currently have a big saddle of our verandah, Buster obvisouly thinks anything leather (or cane) needs to be peed on on a daily basis. Stillhavn't managed to catch him though.

lizzybeth727

Is your dog neutered? Doesn't always fix the problem, but often does help a lot.

The only thing you can do if you want to stop the behavior is to catch him in the act. When you see him begin to think about lifting his leg (I discovered my dog's "I'm about to mark this" sniff), physically move him away from the object and redirect his attention to something more productive. The more times he marks it (or ANYTHING else) without you knowing, though, the more he's practing the behavior, and the harder it is going to be to stop.

adojrts

Can't you keep your saddle pads off the floor? Pretty easy to make a saddle rack that will lay flat when not in use on the alleyway wall.
What do you do with the rest of your tack when tacking up?
If its his barn and his owner doesn't mind..........you need to speak to the owner (assuming your not the owner). And of course that also assuming he is owned by the owner of the barn.
If he is owned by a fellow boarder, speak to the barn owner or the manager etc.
Personally when I ran my own public barn, I didn't allow boarders to bring their dogs to the barn, for just these reasons and more. Nothing worse than people ignoring their dogs, dogs having a great time flying up and down alleyways and turning the indoor into a great game of chase while people are riding or training..........Oh yeah or they lock their dog in their stall, go riding and the dog either digs up the stall, digs at the door and/or is barking/whining like crazy. Not in my barn.......

lizzybeth727

Oh, I didn't realize it's not your dog. I'd like to point out, then - you mentioned "a little tap on the nose"..... you should NEVER to ANY kind of physical punishment with a dog that's not your own. I personally would take GREAT offense if you did that to my dog, not to mention the fact that you don't know how the dog will react.

Oh, I didn't realize it's not your dog. I'd like to point out, then - you mentioned "a little tap on the nose"..... you should NEVER to ANY kind of physical punishment with a dog that's not your own. I personally would take GREAT offense if you did that to my dog, not to mention the fact that you don't know how the dog will react.

that is what the owner said to me to do, but it doesn't work. The owner is my mom's best friend and practially mine also.

BostonBanker

One of the reasons I hate having other people bring their dogs into the barn as well (and one of the reasons I'm really scared to get a male as my next dog). Hay bales, bedding bags, grain bags...it's all a free-for-all at our barn. I look at everything before I pick it up. Unfortunately, I don't get to make the rules.

I did get a huge lift one day when I saw the worst culprit, a doberman who almost took my leg off one day when I stamped at him as he peed on the bedding, lift his leg and mark all over his owner's 3K Anteres saddle which she had left on the ground as she tacked up;).

adojrts

I did get a huge lift one day when I saw the worst culprit, a doberman who almost took my leg off one day when I stamped at him as he peed on the bedding, lift his leg and mark all over his owner's 3K Anteres saddle which she had left on the ground as she tacked up;).

:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

noludoru

Bored Now.
I agree!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.