The perfect pet?

Richie12345

I watched this show a couple days ago on PBS called "Dogs and more dogs" (I think you all know what the show was about). They were having interviews, and one of the interviews struck me hard.

He was so sick of people caring whether a dog is a mutt or purebred. He said that he was so sick of people worrying about what a dog looks like, he would love to see people start breeding the perfect pet.

That made sense, everybody wants a dog with looks. I don't mind seeing a cute dog or something. But people should breed dogs that have personalities and not worry if the dog is "perfect" (you know in dogshows, where dogs are judged about looks), and start worrying about the dog's personality.

Well, that's just my two cents :p

- Richie

Ideally, Richie, temperament would be equal with health in breeding programs. That's one of the reasons so many of us disagree with organizations like the AKC and conformation shows. Also why we cherish working lines over show lines in our working breeds; hunting lines in hunting breeds, etc.

IMO, it is important that a breeding dog do what it is bred to do, act like it's bred to act, and look like it's bred to look. I love mutts and mixes--I've got two silly mixed dogs myself--but I'd never breed them, though they are WONDERFUL family dogs.

bogolove

Well, another thing people should take into consideration is if the pet is perfect for them. Every dog is different, but every breed has basic characteristics that a good breeder would instill while trying to perfect the breed. People should ask themselves not only what personality they want, but how active, how big, how furry, how easygoing, how excitable, etc. they want their dog. There is a "perfect" dog out there for everyone, but there is a different breed for everyone. And I am not discounting mix breeds here, they are the perfect dog for someone too. I love mutts and mixes too, Brady himself is a mix.

Example - I am about to be 27 next week, active, married with no children yet, I have a cat, I have a house with a big fenced in back yard and a neighborhood with sidewalks. I have a big dog (80 pounds) who is extremely active and needs lots of exercise, he is good with kids, and good with my cat. I think he is great.

My friend has 2 young children (4 and 1 and a half), and 3rd on the way, a house with a smaller back yard and a pool, no fence, she is not active at all (physically - such as walks and runs and going to the park, etc.) She has a Boston Terrier. He is great with her kids, does not eat as much as mine, he is not very active at all, and likes to lie around and pick up the kids scraps they drop on the floor.

Brady would be too much for her to handle, and though I love all dogs, her dog would not be active enough for me, Brady and I walk 3 miles around the neighborhood, I would probably have to carry her dog before 1 mile was over.

So, everyone has a perfect type of dog, they just need to research what is right for them.

I agree. I have a lab, a border collie/german shepherd mix, and a canaan dog/terrier mix. All of those breeds are pretty energetic and tend to be good shedders, lol. I manage to tire them out every day and deal with all the fur, but I'm sure (for example) an elderly person would never be able to deal with even just one of my dogs.

RD

Are you dead yet?
The perfect pet for me, might not necessarily be the perfect pet for Joe Schmoe next door.
Different breeds suit different people. I wouldn't want my breed to be like everyone else's.

If you are speaking solely about how shallow conformation shows are, I agree to a certain extent. However, structure is hugely influential in the dog's ability to work. Yes, some dogs are nothing but pets, but some dogs are workers and if sound structure is not taken into consideration when a litter is bred, the result might be that the dogs are physically incapable of doing what they were bred to do.
In Border Collies, I couldn't care less about silly, unimportant things like ear type, coat color, markings or tail set. But sound, balanced structure is of utmost importance. A poorly built dog might sustain serious injuries when working. A dog with a weak front, or outturned elbows could break a leg if it was thrown by a sheep. Structure -does- matter. It's right up there with health and temperament if you ask me. People need to breed for the WHOLE PACKAGE. You don't have to disregard conformation and health in order to breed a dog with a lovely temperament. Responsible breeders do not do this.

As for the conformation shows, I dislike the way some of the top show breeders will only breed to what is winning in the ring. For example, the majority of Border Collies in the ring look like Australian Shepherds with tails. The majority of Papillons in the ring have more hair than a Pomeranian. But, that is what judges seem to be putting up most of the time, so the show breeders breed towards a distorted version of the breed standard and, unfortunately, that is why some "show lines" in certain breeds are as messed up as they are.
After seeing a lot of shows and what is winning I've come to the conclusion that it is turning into a damned beauty pageant, instead of a way to evaluate the structure of potential breeding stock. PRETTY is what wins in the show ring, at least in my breed of choice. Ideal markings, nice ear set, flowy coat, etc. has been known to be put up over a well-balanced but less "pretty" dog.

I would love to see the AKC have more judges that truly know the breed and will put up the most ideally built dog, not the one with the prettiest fur.

-Rant over- LOL.

bogolove

Rip's Girl said:
The perfect pet for me, might not necessarily be the perfect pet for Joe Schmoe next door.
Different breeds suit different people. I wouldn't want my breed to be like everyone else's.

If you are speaking solely about how shallow conformation shows are, I agree to a certain extent. However, structure is hugely influential in the dog's ability to work. Yes, some dogs are nothing but pets, but some dogs are workers and if sound structure is not taken into consideration when a litter is bred, the result might be that the dogs are physically incapable of doing what they were bred to do.
In Border Collies, I couldn't care less about silly, unimportant things like ear type, coat color, markings or tail set. But sound, balanced structure is of utmost importance. A poorly built dog might sustain serious injuries when working. A dog with a weak front, or outturned elbows could break a leg if it was thrown by a sheep. Structure -does- matter. It's right up there with health and temperament if you ask me. People need to breed for the WHOLE PACKAGE. You don't have to disregard conformation and health in order to breed a dog with a lovely temperament. Responsible breeders do not do this.

As for the conformation shows, I dislike the way some of the top show breeders will only breed to what is winning in the ring. For example, the majority of Border Collies in the ring look like Australian Shepherds with tails. The majority of Papillons in the ring have more hair than a Pomeranian. But, that is what judges seem to be putting up most of the time, so the show breeders breed towards a distorted version of the breed standard and, unfortunately, that is why some "show lines" in certain breeds are as messed up as they are.
After seeing a lot of shows and what is winning I've come to the conclusion that it is turning into a damned beauty pageant, instead of a way to evaluate the structure of potential breeding stock. PRETTY is what wins in the show ring, at least in my breed of choice. Ideal markings, nice ear set, flowy coat, etc. has been known to be put up over a well-balanced but less "pretty" dog.

I would love to see the AKC have more judges that truly know the breed and will put up the most ideally built dog, not the one with the prettiest fur.

-Rant over- LOL.

I am in complete and utter agreeance with you. Thank you for saying what I felt about it too.

Members online

No members online now.