Neon tetras

Saje

Island dweller
This is my first planted tank. I only just finished cycling it and added fish today.

I'll be adding more plants and probably more tetras as we go. I'd like it to be heavily planted i think.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Oh cool! I love the neons but they've proven to be rather difficult to keep alive. This last batch was supposed to be kept in quarantine until they were big enough to survive the plecos and angel fish...instead the angels and pleco figured out how to knock the lid off the quarantine thing and ate them all. :rolleyes:

Doberluv

Very pretty. I love neons too and I have a few that were some of my original fish when I set the tank up about 3 years ago. They're great. I want some more. Actually, I prefer the Cardinal tetras but they seem to be in short supply always when I ask about them.

Have you had clay pots in an aquarium before? Is it possible that there could be anything toxic which might slough off of them? I don't know...just thought I'd ask. I know ya have to be careful what goes in tanks as far as affecting the ph and so forth.

Anyhow, they are a fun hoby and yours is very pretty. I like lots of plants too. I have trouble keeping the plants alive. I've switched to fake ones.

Saje

Island dweller
I asked around and read a lot about the clay pots and was just told to run boiling water on them and they should be good. This tank is sooo new though. I'm going to do all the tests tomorrow and make sure it's all ok. If the pH is wonky I"ll pull them out. I hope it's not though lol. I think the pots look neat.

I've had neons before and never had any problems with them and that's before I learned how to cycle properly. lol This time we are all cycled and everything seems fine. I've read thought hat neons are in such demand the fish are getting weak from overbreeding.

Doberluv

Oh yeah....the pots do look cool in there. Well, that's interesting about the boiling water. I don't know a thing about clay pots but it just made me wonder a little bit.

Yeah, lots of fish are over bred unfortuanately. But my tetras have been pretty hardy so far. I have lost a few head and tail lights over the years. I get some nice babies pretty frequently from my live bearers and that's always fun.

Saje

Island dweller
I wanted either mosquito rasberos or endler's livebearers but couldn't find any around here. I think they might have them in Victoria but ... my next tank ;)

I'm curious though if I can get the neons to breed :eek: I'm going to try to set the tank up to facilitate it and see what happens.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Cute! I am almost finished cycling my 70 liter. I am wanting to put guppies in. I just want pretty, easy to care for fish to start off with.

Saje

Island dweller
My fish look even more colourful today then they did yesterday and are very enthusiastic eaters. Plus they aren't schooling much so I think they are quite comfortable in their new home. I haven't tested the water parameters yet but hopefully it's all good! It could handle quite a bit of ammonia in a quick period so I'm thinking everything is ok.

Saje

Island dweller
Eco-complete is supposed to be great too. I couldn't find either of those so mixed laterite with gravel and give liquid fertilizer occasionally.

ACooper

Very nice! I hope it all goes smoothly for you!

I've tried several times to keep a tank, and I do keep a tank still, it's just empty and in the attic now :rofl1:

Me and fish go together like me and house plants :eek:
I am trying my very bestest to keep three house plants alive at the moment........perhaps when I master that, I will consider another fish tank :D

Members online

No members online now.